Sign in to follow this  
amaliepiers

Help! New train system for my little boy

Hi there,

I am looking to buy a Lego train system for my little boy's birthday, he's outgrown the Brio and can cope with quite complicated elec stuff (well he's going on 5, but he can do most of the 8+ stuff with help and I want it to last awhile....).

I'm looking at the Lego cargo train 4512, will this give him all he needs in one go? Will I need any extras? Would you recommend it? Is it worth it to get the engine shed also (10027)? Should I get extra track?

Also, altho' he's almost all about trains, there's the crane (4514) - is this a good set too?

Thanks in advance for your help. The purse is not bottomless but if I can get your advice early enough I can get relatives to buy parts too.

Ali (Fairly clueless Mom - Lego is not how I remember it)!

4512 is a complete set and includes everything you need to get him running - a good sized train, oval of track with a point, 9v motor and speed controller. The 4514 crane is an ideal companion to 4512- the cargo containers from both sets are interchangeable and can be used with either the train or the truck from 4514.

The Engine Shed is, in my opinion, one of the best train related sets Lego has ever made. Its expensive, but you do get lots of parts and the workshop is full of little details. Definitely worth the purchase.

Ali: I own most of the 9V Lego trains and I would highly recommend the Cargo Train as one of my favorites. It does sell for $140 in the U.S., but it's a great set and complete. You get an oval plus one switch track "point" - a real plus, motor, transformer, and light for the engine that can be used in the back or front (yellow or red lights). The piece colors are quite nice (green & dark gray), and I especially like the boxcar with "old-style" sliding doors. Gold bars are contained in the box car and a neat little fork lift can be used to remove/place the cargo.

I have no dislikes of this set and it goes nicely with the Cargo Crane (4514) for $20 U.S. Set K4512 gives you both for just a few dollars more than just the Cargo Train. Definately buy both in the kit. You can always add a passenger car or other rolling stock with it down the road too.

The Train Engine Shed is definately my favorite train building ever made. I would also highly recommend this before it is no longer available. It's a wonderful model that is great to run a train through. It can be placed as you see it in the picture for two sets of track to run through it (or) folded open to create one long tunnel/shed for your train to run through.

And lastly, if you go with any set with a basic oval, I would recommend that you buy an additional set of straight track (or two) to expand your oval. Longer track makes it that much more fun.

Your 5 year-old may have trouble building the sets without you (esp the Engine Shed), but I'm sure he will certainly enjoy playing with it (as well as his mom). Trains are my favorite!

Other excellent single sets you might consider for adding on to your basic layout is the Train Level Crossing, the Sante Fe Super Chief (best single engine), and the Burlington Northern Santa Fe (one notch below the Chief).

I also own Harry Potter's Motorized Express which is not as good (except the train station which is a neat building); and the Metroliner which is an all-time classic (excellent set).

For starters, I highly recommend the Cargo Train & Crane Kit. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.