BrickingMyself

First train in 30 years

Hi

30 something years ago I was a lego mad child (see: Hello! my name is.... intro). I particularly loved Lego trains and so one day for Christmas my parents got me the 7725. Sadly money was tight at home so the 7725 was as far as it went when it came to trains, so I cherished that model until the day my parents mysteriously gave all my Lego to my cousin. 

Anyway, 30 something years later I decided to take a trip down memory lane a buy another Lego train. Obviously we're now talking infrared not 12v, but none the less I was thrilled to get it set up and running. I don't have any immediate plans to create the giant Lego train layout I never had as a child, although never say never :classic: 

For the time being I am happy to have a more interesting coffee table!

HhStudio_20170108_234623_zpsqhhigwqz.jpg

I do have one question though: Obviously this is an uninteresting oval layout, but while im stuck with the coffee table for the time being, is there anything I can do to expand on it?

One thought I had was to put a switch-track on each side so the train could cut across, however im not even sure this oval layout is large enough to do that. Failing that I suppose I could at least use one switch-track that leads to some buffers. 

Cheers

Edited by BrickingMyself

For your layout, I'd recommend expanding it with the switches on one side-- you can make a 2 stall siding!
 Another option would be to make a figure 8 layout, but you'll need more track though. Also a cross piece:

Hope this helps!

4 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

For your layout, I'd recommend expanding it with the switches on one side-- you can make a 2 stall siding!
 Another option would be to make a figure 8 layout, but you'll need more track though. Also a cross piece:

Hope this helps!

Hi 

Thank you for the suggestion. I remember seeing the brick crossing you mentioned, so that sounds a good idea, but in order to keep some space in the centre of the table ill try the siding. I do have some extra curved and straight track.

I'm not really down with the lingo yet so please can I ask what a 2 stall siding is?

@BrickingMyself, Don't worry, I'm not that great with the correct terminology either!

Basically, assuming that you have a pair of switches, use one to divert from the main loop and then the second one to create two stalls/ buffered ends.

lego-track-geometry_inglenook-sidings.pn

credit: bricksmcgee.com

5 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

@BrickingMyself, Don't worry, I'm not that great with the correct terminology either!

Basically, assuming that you have a pair of switches, use one to divert from the main loop and then the second one to create two stalls/ buffered ends.

lego-track-geometry_inglenook-sidings.pn

credit: bricksmcgee.com

Ahhh ok cool. I don't have any switches yet, but ill go ahead and find some. They'll obviously be useful to have anyway.

I see they sell a pair of switches on Amazon for £14.99, which also includes extra curves.

Thank you

8 hours ago, BrickingMyself said:

Hi 

Thank you for the suggestion. I remember seeing the brick crossing you mentioned, so that sounds a good idea, but in order to keep some space in the centre of the table ill try the siding. I do have some extra curved and straight track.

I'm not really down with the lingo yet so please can I ask what a 2 stall siding is?

I think you are going to need a bigger coffee table soon.  :laugh:    Adding switches in a passing siding format could give you more space in the center for other coffee table uses like books, drinks. etc.

4 hours ago, dr_spock said:

I think you are going to need a bigger coffee table soon.  :laugh:    Adding switches in a passing siding format could give you more space in the center for other coffee table uses like books, drinks. etc.

Hi. The only other space I have is floor space, but that'll require a layout that somehow wont interfere with the footfall in my home..... no easy task!

The passing siding format was something I did consider but I wasn't sure if my loop, which only has 4 straight tracks on each side, was large enough. I believe 1 switch = 2 straight tracks in length. 

A guy I regularly follow on YouTube (Bananenbuurman) had an interesting solution to space issues in this old video  

Edited by BrickingMyself