Sign in to follow this  
teos

42009 functions question

42009 Mobile Crane:

I'm using digital instructions to build this set (they're often tricky to read) and missed a gear that goes right above the turntable, which connects to the 4L stop axle that leads to the base.  I was able to tear it apart to get it in, but I don't know if I messed something up in the process before I continue with the crane.  This was a couple hours of work, so I'm crossing my fingers (a youtube video makes me think there's a problem).

My question is about the functions.  When the winch extends the string, the actuators slowly recede and when the winch reels in, the actuators slowly extend.  Is this correct or are they supposed to be 2 separate functions?  Thanks!

This is incorrect. You don't have enough friction in the drive train of the respective functions to prevent them from being driven when the clutch is not engaged.

Thank you.  I ended up taking it apart and rebuilding it.  I had difficulty with one axle 5.5L with stop and replaced it with a regular 5L.  Otherwise, it functions well.  It was my most wanted of the Technic sets and the least enjoyable to build.  Probably at least partially to blame on not having a hard copy of the instructions (the crane boom(?) was really tricky with all the black pieces blending together).