Sign in to follow this  
mooproxy

Decal Application and Micro Sol Issues

So I'm a newbie at customising minifigures, but my attempts with decals so far have shown very limited success. I recently started using micro set and micro sol solutions, however I'm not noticing any difference between it and a decal applied without them. The "softening" or "dissolving" (or the wrinkling that I was warned about) effect of micro sol seems almost completely absent and was wondering whether anyone might know what the issue is. One possible cause for this might be that the inkjet sealant varnish I use after printing (to prevent the ink running when I put them in water) might be preventing the micro sol from reaching the decal and doing its thing. The brand of sealant I use is Ghiant InkJet Fixative Gloss Varnish so if anyone knows that that might be causing it, let me know. Otherwise if anyone knows any other potential causes, let me know. Assume there's nothing too obvious I already know.

For the purposes of figuring out what's wrong I'll post my full method here:

1. Print the decals and give 30 minutes to dry.

2. Give 3 quick coats of Inkjet Fixative Gloss at 15 minute intervals

3. Apply a thin coat of micro set to the minifigure.

4. Soak the decal in water for 30 seconds, and slide onto the minifigure.

5. Remove excess water and any bubbles by rolling a cotton bud (q-tip) across the decal

6. Add a layer of micro sol.

Not done these so far on the current one, but

7. After 24 hours apply thin layer of micro coat flat.

8. Leave to dry for at least 2 days.

If anyone knows why this is, let me know. I realise applying micro sol won't immediately make things perfect, but I can't see any effect whatsoever from applying it, and as far as I can tell you should see at least something.

EDIT: To clarify the not seeing any effect - I could rub my finger along the supposedly softened and fragile decal and it didn't move or break or anything else.

Edited by mooproxy

Firstly from exp the ghiant stuff, it does fix it, by basically adding an laquer film on top.

Also what brand of decal sheets? i have found some who's chemestry blocks the micro product line.

Firstly from exp the ghiant stuff, it does fix it, by basically adding an laquer film on top.

Also what brand of decal sheets? i have found some who's chemestry blocks the micro product line.

As far as I can tell, it's MDP/Mr Decal Paper. Or at least that's what the seller (also called that) listed the brand as and isn't giving out any more information.

Well I can help here cause I've had the same problem as you. As far as all the steps you did are all correct. The problem, micro sol. I purchased the red bottle and applied before and after the decal was applied, However it didnt stick that well. I then bougt Mr. Mark softener. WOW, this stuff will literally melt the decals to the torso.I apply the same way before and after. When done applying I stick them under a hair dryer for about a min to melt/ dry it a bit more. The decal will still be able to come off but it will be, if you take your nail to a corner and try to rip it off. This stuff is awesome, I didnt like micro sol at all doesnt bond well to the lego plastic in my eyes. Of you are gonna invest in decals, seriously buy this solution. You will be happy.

Ya that was sorta my point, Microsol was developed for polystyrene models and decals intended for those. Mr mark softner was designed for the high quality bandai and kotobouki waterslides, which are firmer n stronger then most.