SNIPE

[MOD] 42029 Customised Pick-Up Truck - MODs and Improvements

Hi

For the past 2 days I've been working on improving the 42029 pickup truck, I saw the pictures on Google and reckoned that it could have a front differential, after I got the LXF from ZBLJ (kudos) I saw that there was also space for a center differential so I put one of those in too!, Heh why not.

and today I have been busy adding 4 wheel steering and suspension all round as well as connecting the diffs to the wheels.

The body may need to be widened a bit but this model is excellent for modding so feel free to add your own to this thread.

A battery box fitted in the back leaving room still for it to load things onto the bed. Ill be adding gears and the motor soon, he gearbox for the winch and bed can be built around as there is axles with space on them for some clutch gears and the clutch barrel.

The rear shocks aren't in LDD.

The drive layout is: front differential - transfer case (to engine and gearbox) - center differential - rear differential.

Here's the pics:

Untitled%20%281%29.png

800x424.jpg

LXF file so far Big Images

Edited by SNIPE

The hubs have poor steering and suspension articulation.

Wheels and tires are the same might add bigger ones not sure.

I tried the hubs from the snowmobile but getting the steering rod attached to the steering rack is too hard as the steering rod is sideways due to how the hub is.

The hubs from the 8448 could work but there rare and only come in 2's

This way has better steering and suspension anyhow.

Edited by SNIPE

Here's some real pictures, real life is better than LDD minus the sore fingers.

800x598.jpg

800x598.jpg

And a video https://www.youtube....coVENsEg0f7K3Uw

The front wheels are the same as the back wheels so that should be easy enough, I need to add more to the front chassis, and add the center differential in.

Steering, suspension and Drive on on all 4 wheels.

Edited by SNIPE

Hi,

Today I fixed the steering, drive and suspension so that it is has less parts and better geometry.

The suspension arms are now 4L apart all the way along, and the steering back is moved AWAY from the differential by an extra 1L.

Also the clearance between the bottom of the chassis and the ground has improved quit a bit.

I'm hoping to add brakes somehow and you can see the mounts by the steering track rod ends.

Pictures: [bIG]

800x598.jpg

800x598.jpg

800x1071.jpg

800x638.jpg

The ball joint on the wheel end is 1L below the ball on the steering rack end, when the suspension is fully compressed it is 1L above the ball joint on the steering rack end

I'll make an LXF file soon.

Regards, S

Nah, not really

The UV joints and axle must be like this because if it isnt the uv joint will be obstructed by the suspension arms

Also the UV joint pivot must be inline with the front ball joints on the suspension arms.

Portal hubs will stick out a lot too and the steering and suspention will be worse with portal hubs

Edited by SNIPE

on the dark side of the moon i had only a 42029 in my fingers, so i made a C model.

its features are independent suspension, working steering wheel and hand of god. Ands beside this a 6zylinder Boxer engine

15767166272_6ed7dfcc0d_z.jpg

15145649294_53a9124348_z.jpg

15763743811_bc4aaf6a33_z.jpg

I like that buggy Effe!

I was playing around with the LDD model, and whispered some wishes for new colors... i made a red alternative too, maybe the owners got inspiration.

Actually i am thinking about to add to my christmas list... :blush:

(sorry if the pics are bit big, i don't find option to resize)

42029_khaki.png

42029_orange.png

42029_red.png

I like that buggy Effe!

I was playing around with the LDD model, and whispered some wishes for new colors... i made a red alternative too, maybe the owners got inspiration.

Actually i am thinking about to add to my christmas list... :blush:

42029_orange.png

That would be quite expensive with 9 of the 5x11 panels in orange as they have only ever been in one set- the unimog. However it looks awesome though

Edited by Nalyd997

on the dark side of the moon i had only a 42029 in my fingers, so i made a C model.

its features are independent suspension, working steering wheel and hand of god. Ands beside this a 6zylinder Boxer engine

I love boxers :blush: IMO it's even better than A/B models. Nice work effe! :classic:

not much of a mod but a reconfiguration. was inspired to convert the customized pick-up to become a racing desert truck. This is only my second time making something that isn't fully following lego instructions. didn't put in any real function but moved the engine to the back, steering from the back of the cab to the hood added 2 more cylinders. Lengthed the front and cabin, shorted the rear and lowered the frame.

hope everyone likes it.

15597229570_e8a8d54070_z.jpg15596211719_6b5cb008b7_z.jpg15597227150_48df107f75_z.jpg15758348856_5b6e7d6665_z.jpg

15161477553_73bb544667_z.jpg

Hi

The AWD is finished, Im working on the gearbox right now.

I did try to put a 1x6 plate under the steering rack but there is no such gear that is small enough to then fit in the hole and mesh with the gear rack.

I'm using a 5l Steering rack, shame it didnt work as the geomotiry would have been close to perfect but the steering arms are almost at the same angle to The suspention arms anyhow.

The gearbox has 4 hi and 4 lo speeds and is extremley small (3Lx5Lx7L) but fitting it in and bracing it is very tricky .

Regards, Snipe

Edited by SNIPE

Hi,

Today I fixed the steering, drive and suspension so that it is has less parts and better geometry.

The suspension arms are now 4L apart all the way along, and the steering back is moved AWAY from the differential by an extra 1L.

Also the clearance between the bottom of the chassis and the ground has improved quit a bit.

I'm hoping to add brakes somehow and you can see the mounts by the steering track rod ends.

Pictures: [bIG]

800x598.jpg

The ball joint on the wheel end is 1L below the ball on the steering rack end, when the suspension is fully compressed it is 1L above the ball joint on the steering rack end

I'll make an LXF file soon.

Regards, S

Snipe, your setup has really inspired me and I have learned some new techniques. Finally!

But I gotta ask, the setting above, is it final? as I see the pic, the inner UV joint does not align with the pivot of wishbones, right?

Also, the 4L width setup of wishbones is great but the inner connection of wishbone are they really 4L? I cant do the math from the pic...

Edited by Leif

Hi

I will upload images of the final setup soon.

In the last-most picture, the wishbones are 4L apart so the axle is 2.5L (which is in the middle of 4L)

I've since made it 5 L instead of 4.

This enables me to have more suspention travel & ground clearance, and to have the steering and suspention arms at a simular angle to one another

In regards to the universal joints, I'm not sure if they are in the normal configuration, but it's the only one which really works, because they can be angled quite a lot without touching the wishbones, and because the front UV joint pivot is parralel to the frontt wishbone pivots, without that it would have poor turning radius and have little suspention travel & ground clearance.

Edited by SNIPE

Does anyone know if Unimog tires will fit on 42029? I am concerned about the clearance, especially on the rear axles. If the answer is yes, I have 99% of the parts to build it!