dhc6twinotter

New Technic Pieces in LEGO ED Duplo Sets

I just received a new LEGO Education catalog today, and while thumbing through, I noticed this:

29_1475_na_3.jpg

https://www.legoeduc...uplo_w3_dec2012

It looks like there are some new gears, as well as a few axles in new colors.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like we have the following:

-Yellow 40T gear

-Blue 24T crown gear

-Red 24T gear

-6 or 8T gear (can't tell which--maybe both?)

-Green axle

-Blue axle

-Larger pulley wheels

The gears appear to have beveled edges, but I'm not sure they are beveled enough to mount two gears perpendicular to each other.

The yellow 40T gears might be a good alternative to those of us who need yellow hubs on our machinery mocs.

Anyways, thought I'd pass that along.

EDIT: I'm looking at these gears again, and it looks like the teeth are spaced further apart than those on a Technic gear. These Duplo gears look like they have a larger diameter than the 24 and 40T Technic gears, and I'm curious to see how compatible they would be with the Technic gears. Also, I wonder if they are more than 1 stud wide. I dunno…what do you all think?

Edited by Jim
Embedded image

Really interesting! I'm wondering if they would be good for large tracks too.

I wonder if that blue gear is fixed to the blue axle? Maybe useful as a timing gear.

Thanks for sharing. :laugh:

Funny that you mention it!

When I watched The Lego Movie, I noticed they built the bike with a different 40T gear. When looking at the actual set, they used the old one.

In the movie it's clearly a different 40T gear!!

And here it is (so it seems).....check out the Yellow 40T gear.

I am talking about this bike:

http://brickset.com/...per-Cycle-Chase

70808-1.jpg

Could the yellow version be used as a hub cap for the Volvo Unimog rims?

Very interesting find, so I frontpaged it :thumbup:

Those gears and axles are bigger than regular technic.

I think you are right,which makes me wonder if you can use them with regular technic?

I have to say, that's really cool. I would have loved to play with Technic when I was DUPLO-age. I wonder how compatible the DUPLO Technic is with regular LEGO and Technic elements...

I've seen these in some of the primary schools I work in... huge axles.. huge gear... not compatible with regular stuff.

and you're at least 14 years too late! http://www.bricklink...em.asp?S=9654-1

:laugh:

My nearly-4yr old son (although happily plays with system lego, and my technic stuff), always enjoys it when we borrow some Toolo Duplo from the local Toy Library

It's like Duplo on steroids.. and the ability to bolt bricks together, means you end up with SUPER strong constructions

http://www.bricklink...tString=167.296

browsing through the toolo educational list: look at this cool unit! http://www.bricklink....asp?S=RC9203-1

wonder how it compares with PF stuff (considering it came out 2 years after PF was released)

and it got pretty advanced with sets like this:

http://www.bricklink...em.asp?S=2916-1

modular, 'programmable' duplo, with onboard LCD display! Duplo NXT!

I do note, that stuff like this was probably designed at the time when Lego was burning through money!!

RB

I've seen these in some of the primary schools I work in... huge axles.. huge gear... not compatible with regular stuff.

and you're at least 14 years too late! http://www.bricklink...em.asp?S=9654-1

:laugh:

We'll I guess I'm really late to the party! :iamded_lol:

Good to know that parts are much larger. I got all excited when I saw that yellow 40t gear. Oh well...

:laugh_hard:

So much for my new 40T gear theory. Although I am 99% sure I did see a different design in The Lego Movie.

Yeah, it looked to me like a 56t gear or something. But then the sea cow in the movie was about 10 times bigger than the actual set.

Edited by allanp

I could have sworn I saw a new 40t gear design in the movie too, and it makes little sense for them to designing a new gear render from scratch rather than use an existing part. But, maybe that means the 40t gear is getting a makeover like the 16t one?

I could have sworn I saw a new 40t gear design in the movie too, and it makes little sense for them to designing a new gear render from scratch rather than use an existing part. But, maybe that means the 40t gear is getting a makeover like the 16t one?

Glad I am not the only one! So, we probably did see a new (or other) design. I noticed it right away and looked up the set information afterwards. But to no avail, still the current design. Really wonder whether we will get a new design.

Yeah, it looked to me like a 56t gear or something. But then the sea cow in the movie was about 10 times bigger than the actual set.

Sea Cow was indeed a lot bigger. Not sure whether the bike is bigger in the movie as well, but my guess would be that the bike is the actual size of the set. So it should be a 40T gear.

Really need to see the scene in the movie again.

If parents were smart, these are the sets that they will be buying their young children.. Most definitely will give them an edge over the other kids when they start school...

well, I'm probably on the right track.. started my boy on PF + gears soon after he turned 3!

he's slowly getting the hang of gear trains, and geometries between them...

being obsessed with fans/windmills/turbines, means that's a common building theme in our house..

although at this age, still hasn't quite mastered building *strong* things.. and gets frustrated when they fall apart... Luckily Dad is always happy to help out! :laugh:

It was a different 40t gear. I saw the movie twice and paid extra attention the second time. It WAS a 40t gear because Wyldstyle mentions it when building her motorcycle. It looks like it doesn't have any axle holes anymore just round holes.

Pause this clip at 0:11

I count 14 track links on one side of the gear, that makes 28 links total, which makes 56 teeth (what a guess!). There are other moments where you can see it side on to see the hole configuration, looks the same as the 40t gear but with 8 extra holes around the added larger diameter. 8 holes not being quite enough to fill that diameter with holes I guess only glancing at it it could look as if there are fewer holes. My guess it's creative licence, basically making the movie version look bigger and better than the actual toy version.

Interesting find. Looking at the clip, it does indeed look bigger.