Jim

[TRIPLE] Technic Triple Build Contest Entry

LegoTechicContest-TripleBuild.jpg

TRIPLE BUILD ENTRY TOPIC

This topic is used to post your entry for the contest.

DEADLINE

Entries must be posted before 1:00 PM GMT, December 1st, 2013 so you can build all night on Saturday :wink:

CONTEST INFORMATION

More information about the contest can be found in the general discussion topic.

ENTRY RULES

Please take a careful look at the rules before posting in this topic.

This entry post may include up to 10 pictures of 800x600 or smaller resolution and a maximum of 3 videos.

IMPORTANT

This topic should be used for entries only, so commenting is prohibited. Please use the general discussion topic for comments on the entries.

Steam Engine

Here's a scale 1:1 model of a Wilesco-style steam engine and workshop, in its natural environment, surrounded by old toys.

steamengine1.JPG

First, allow me to present the steam engine itself, weighing in at around 150 parts:

steamengine2.JPG

The steam engine itself features a dummy boiler made from a System cement mixer drum, piston, flywheel, governor (which can be rotated manually to cycle the flywheel and piston) and transmission shafts.

steamengine3.JPG

Here's the drill press, (85 parts or so) with power transmission by rubber band. Like the original it features a table that can be raised or lowered by a lever:

drillpress.JPG

Finally, the table saw (approx 105 parts), which differs from the original to more resemble the cabinet saws I'm familiar with. The blade is raised and lowered through a worm gear mechanism with the crank on the front, pivoting around the drive shaft. On the right side is a crank which winds up one of the new pull-back motors (visible below) which powers the saw...

tablesaw.JPG

...and the steam engine and drill press as well when they are all hooked together:

steamengine4.gif

Track Symphony

Hi All!

I want to present my contest model. This is the composition of three mining machines. I’ve called it “Track Symphony” because I use four different types of tracks in it.

DSC_7357r.jpg

DSC_7360r.jpg

The first model is a bucket-wheel excavator for overburden operations.

DSC_7315r.jpg

It is mounted on caterpillar chassis with full-revolving turntable. The main tool is rotating wheel with multitude of buckets that load the material to the conveyer belt. As a conveyer belt i used rubber track because it allows to elevate material at big angle. Bucket wheel height has a manual control.

DSC_7366r.jpg

DSC_7373r.jpg

After the main conveyer is passed the material comes to unloading conveyer. Its horizontal angle may be differ from the angle of digging boom. It is very useful feature because usually mining excavators have very low maneuverability. The unloading height can be adjusted manually. Control knobs are on the both sides of the excavator for comfortable control. As a counterweight the rechargeable battery box is used. Also it puts in action the M-motor to activate conveyer belts and the digging wheel. Unloading conveyer transmission contains new red gear without friction, so mechanism works at any angle.

DSC_7318r.jpg

After unloading conveyer – it’s time for the second model!

DSC_7297r.jpg

It is double carriage for long-distance material transportation. There are two functions in it: moving along standard Lego tracks and unloading. The unloading mechanism is rather unusual – the bottom and both side walls are movable. When the carriage is open the bottom and one wall forms a slope and the material is poured out.

DSC_7303r.jpg

These functions can be motorized by using the third model.

DSC_7306r.jpg

Probably it is the most complex model in my entry – this is diesel-locomotive shunter. It has four remote controlled functions. First of all it moves along standard rails. There isn’t standard motor bogie in my locomotive – i’ve replaced it by self-made 6x6 bogie driven by M-motor. The second function is motorized coupling for carriage hauling.

DSC_7308r.jpg

When the coupling is active carriages can be unloaded using build-in M-motor. Unloading mechanism works not only on the straight rails!

And the last function is a light signalization. We can turn it on using the micro-motor.

A short video demonstration with models “in action”:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bDxps9pkXY

And here is a video demonstration of all functions with my comments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKuAPN4jRwo

More fotos you can find in WIP topic - http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88726&st=25

I hope you like it! Thanks for watching and sorry for my English!

Edited by desert752

Road Work

My Triple entry.

11057052044_3ae72e4b77_c.jpg

Road Work Equipment by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

Model 1: Cold planer featuring cranked conveyor belt, cutting drum and 6 cyclinder engine.

picture_22135.jpg

Details:

picture_22137.jpg

picture_22138.jpg

Model 2: Paver featuring tiltable hopper, width adjustable spreader, track powered auger and engine.

picture_22140.jpg

Details:

picture_22143.jpg

picture_22144.jpg

Model 3: Pneumatic tire roller featuring working steering wheel and vibration mechanism.

picture_22145.jpg

Details:

picture_22146.jpg

YouTube video:

WIP topic:

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=88802

Sod Farm

My Entry. Read more at Thirdwigg.com. View the forum topic here.

Welcome to the Sod Farm where you can purchase all the perfect grass you need for your yard, your golf course, or for your business. We will harvest and deliver your sod wherever you need.

01s.jpg

The Video

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_DV_ed43IiU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Truck with working doors, steering, and lifting crane.

07s.jpg

The JCB 150t forklift with lifting and tilting fork.

03s.jpg

06s.jpg

And the Harvester with working steering and two cylinder motor. The harvesting head has a working conveyor, high speed cutting head, and timed sod length cutter. Also the fork to hold the pallet on the rear drops to let the pallet off the back.

02s.jpg

08s.jpg

10s.jpg

Here they are working together.

05s.jpg

11s.jpg

Full brickshelf gallery.

Let's go Gliding!

May I present my entry for the TRIPLE Contest

IMG_2045.jpg

Build Details

Model 1: Pickup Truck

500 Parts

HOG Steering

Opening Bonnet (or Hood)

Opening Suicide Doors

Flat 6 Engine connected to Rear Wheel Drive Platform

Tow pin for Trailer

Model 2: Glider Trailer

500 Parts

Lockable Rear Door/Ramp (using snap with cross-hole pins)

Internal Guides and Dividers to neaty store Glider

Vertical articulation on tow attachment

Model 3: Glider

431 Parts

Glider can be assembled like a real Glider (using snap with cross-hole pins and UJs)

Opening Cockpit with dials and moveable control stick

HOG Ailerons (controlled by turn gear just rear of cockpit)

All part counts have been verified using LDD. LDD files available upon request.

And now some pictures ...

IMG_2021.jpg

Arriving at the airfield

IMG_2027.jpg

Time to open the Trailer

IMG_2028.jpg

The Glider neatly stored away

IMG_2030.jpg

With the Trailer roof removed we can see the internal layout of dividers and supports to store the Glider parts

(Note the roof doesn't need to be removed to extract the glider, this is just to illustrate the internal layout)

IMG_2034.jpg

The Glider unassembled

IMG_2036.jpg

... and assembled

IMG_2037.jpg

HOG ailerons, opening cockpit with dials and control stick

IMG_2038.jpg

Pickup Truck with Bonnet and Door open

IMG_2040.jpg

Rear of Pickup, showing truck bed, rear lights and tow hook

WIP and some more pics in my separate thread

Enjoy :sweet:

(edited with (hopefully) better pictures)

Edited by Jim

Tractors

11094840094_7bf887cc8d_c.jpg

Ok so the parts:

1: Tracked Tractor:

11094936113_07ea0c69d5_c.jpg

The Tractor is driven by an XL motor through a Froward/Reverse gearbox controlled by the grey" L" half beam to the right of the seat.

The steering system: The gear on the back is connected to a mini-LA witch rotates a cam between 2 black discs, as the gear is tuned, the cam presses a pneumatic tube against one of the discs, increasing the resistance and therefor slowing that sides track through the differential, this creates a steering motion.

11094727505_2d71b86c04_z.jpg

Seat view:

11094724445_b01114bd9f_z.jpg

2: Three-wheeled Tractor I intended to build the strangest tractor ever, I think it's close.

11094804866_308f614abc_c.jpg

So this is 1 wheel drive and steer. An XL-Motor powers this through a Forward/Reverse Gearbox as well. The front wheel can rotate indefinitely resulting in a very tight turning circle steered by the steering wheel, it's a lot of fun to drive and i will have to make a RC one someday.

It also has a PTO to power model 3...

11094933043_b5261a4b60_c.jpg

3: towed mower/harvester

as I needed a trailer to house the battery box and a trailer seemed a bit boring, I decided to build a mower/ harvester powered by the PTO of the tractors

11094802666_fb8aa09a68_c.jpg

11094824434_0775023238_c.jpg

to control both lifting and and the cutter a direction sensitive gearbox was implemented using just the single PTO shaft from the tractor enabling drive and cutter/lifting from a single motor and no electronic switches.

Edited by That_LEGO_Guy
Fixed your broken image links

Dark Side of Power

IMG_0274.JPG

Firstly, I built The Buggy!

IMG_0218.JPG

The main problem was to create the maximum compact chassis.

In the end was implemented next funtions:

-independent front suspension with caster angle(about 12-14 digrees)

-dependent rear axle

-rear drive

-the minimum possible distance between the front wheels using these links in steering system

IMG_0222.JPG

Buggy weight - 490g

Also interesting things here - it's arrangement of PF

IMG_0219.JPG

Second model - trailer for this black monster :classic:

IMG_0226.JPG

I would like to add at this model some functions too, because it will be boring to make trailer without them.

So , we have:

-hand winch(with lock)

-motorized trucks(I'm not sure that it is true name of this things - the chains hold them on photo)

Last model - pickup, which will must pull it all :distressed:

But truck can do it very well :grin:

IMG_0249.JPG

-Servo motor for steering

-XL motor for drive

-4x4 drive

-In suspension i used dependent axles

-differentials in bouth axles

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

Now you can see how does it work

Demonstration video:

IMG_0271.JPG

P.S. I used PF in all models to make them more playable. And as you can see in video i did it!

Much more photos you can see here:

http://plus.google.c...679775861951281

WIP topic:

http://www.eurobrick...topic=88506&hl=

Wind-up Insects

001.jpg

Working insect models using the new pullback motors for propulsion. These shy creatures are very hard to find, they live in hiding mostly in deserted industrial areas.

The Crab

:p1380373_.jpg

Model Functions:

-working legs

-wind up propulsion, or towing

-posable arms

Specifications:

-part count: 499

-size: 18 x 31 x 15,5 cm (widest, arms retracted)

p1380454_.jpg

The Dragonfly

img_1423_.jpg

Model Functions:

-working contra-flapping wings

-wind up propulsion

-posable head

Specifications:

-part count: 414

-size: 46 x 41 x 10,5 cm

p1380413_.jpg

p1380497_.jpg

The Caterpillar

p1380399_.jpg

Model Functions:

-crawling

-wind up propulsion, or towing

-can be rolled up

Specifications:

-part count: 495

-size: 36,5 x 23,2 x 10,5 cm (without rear spike)

p1380533_.jpg

p1380541_.jpg

About the models:

The wind up functionality is achieved by two one-way clutches, one preventing the pullback motor to go off, one preventing the functionality to work (legs/wheels or wings) while winding-up.

The winding-up works by pulling an axle which makes the wind-up gear mash with the gear of the main drive shaft. Rotating the axle adds energy to the pullback motor. By pushing the axle back, the wind-up gear releases the main drive shaft and the model starts moving.

img_1451_.jpg

More pictures with more details can be found here:

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=535447

WIP topic:

http://www.eurobrick...topic=87914&hl=

Edited by Jim

R.U.D.O.L.F.

Technical details:

R.U.D.O.L.F.: 2 M motors, 1 PF lights, 1 PF IR Receiver, 1 RCX Light sensor.

Santa: All joints movable, and fully posable.

Sled: Small wheels for playability, attachments for R.U.D.O.L.F. in the front, and attachment for trailer in the back.

The story so far:

A terrible mix up at the North Pole happened, and the barrels of magical energy flying drink ™ mere mixed up with barrels from the brewery.

Now all the reindeer are all drunk or hung over, and missing their flying magic!

So close to christmas, what are they to do!?!?

A few of the elfs sat down to ponder an they came up with a solution.

They took an old dozer and stripped it down, switched the gear box around and filled it up with the magical energy flying drink ™. To all their great surprises, it worked!

They now installed a few antennas, a couple of light at the front for navigation and a red N.O.S.E.*

They now named it R.U.D.O.L.F.** 6000***

Of course, a new sled is also needed, so they tossed one togeather as well.

Pictures below are from the first tests of the new creation.

11130015696_1ff3302d0c_c.jpg

Tying his shoe laces.

11130166763_76336317d6_c.jpg

Sitting down for a rest.

11130013685_3f5878d2e2_c.jpg

Partial liftoff.

11130196703_bd422b312d_c.jpg

Airborn!

11130003415_06d13dab46_c.jpg

Sitting around in the sled.

11130185853_6816a08c43_c.jpg

On the road.

11130062574_c8e48eb5e1_c.jpg

Closeoup of the lights.

11130168543_2c38050425_c.jpg

Wondering of into the distance.

11130163103_3fdbc1bd71_c.jpg

Lineup of all 3 models.

11130175033_7e79c45186_c.jpg

The sled in all it's glory, you can see the controls for R.U.D.O.L.F. here as well.

* Navigational Operating Search Emitter

** Robotical Underestimated Dragging Operational Levitating Flyer

*** A stripped down version of thr R.U.D.O.L.F. 9000, but it's software upgradble (kudos to anyone who recognizes the quote.)

Aircraft Past, Present and Future

Hey all. This is my entry for the triple contest.

DSCI0144.JPG

First from the past a Spitfire. It has working landing gear, working ailerons, working rudder and working propeller.

DSCI0147.JPG

DSCI0164.JPG

DSCI0165.JPG

Next a B-2 Spirit from now.

DSCI0145.JPG

Lastly the future, as it hasn't happened yet I thought I'd design a futuristic aircraft so here it is. It has working landing gear and it is a VTOL aircraft so it has working thrust vectoring nozzles, two at the front and two at the back.

DSCI0146.JPG

DSCI0158.JPG

Thats it, Hope you like it. :classic:

Tractor, Trailer and Combine Harvester

This is my entry, a tractor with a trailer and a combine harvester.

Tractor

- steering in the front

- 3 piston inline engine

- opening hood

Trailer

- turning front axle

- lifting skipper

- locking "rear board"

Harvester

- steering on the back

- rotating cutter driven by the front wheels

- clutch to toggle rotation

- lifting cutter head

- adjustable cut height ( lifts only the cutter but not the scoop)

Enough words, here be some imagery:

FNlF8xP.jpg?2

eM197jH.jpg?1

glYt7fE.jpg?1

t0hVaAT.jpg?2

nCNDdSf.jpg?1

:wacko:How do I post an embedded YouTube video?

Snow is Coming!

11134912036_efdc50ce42_z.jpg

11134920316_4cb9a62fc2_z.jpg

This is my entry for the Triple Contest. It includes a Holder M480 with a V- snow plow and a salt spreader.

1# Model: Holder M 480 (for the real thing, please look here )

Functions:

• 4x4
  • Articulated Steering (HOG)
  • Front PTO
  • Rear PTO

11134898495_84f963abab_z.jpg

11135050553_06d3f663cf_z.jpg

2# Model: V- snow plow

11134900995_33250a6ea8_z.jpg

11134908925_6abb888b26_z.jpg

3# Model: salt spreader

Functions:

• rotating scattering disc (via rear PTO)

11135097383_351d1b9050_z.jpg

11134921685_c25b54e5b2_z.jpg

Arctic Explorer

This entry is based around the theme of Arctic Explorer.

11002731306_e50b891aa8_o.jpg

To start, there is an arctic truck with front independent suspension, rear swing arm suspension, and wide tires to prevent sinking into snow.

11002637515_113f6b9a48_o.jpg

This truck tows a sled with wide skis, also for going over deep snow without sinking.

11002730996_41cd95efa9_o.jpg

Finally, a small and portable ice drill for scouting potential locations for research. To make sure it's as portable as possible, the main drill folds.

11002637125_9262de17c8_o.jpg

11002855933_ee2c38e913_o.jpg

Lifeguard Vehicles

11t28gl.jpg

Hi there guys!

I would have never thought i could actually start and finish the Triple entry in 2 days but i did it! :blush:

So basically, as the title may suggest, my project is about those rescue vehicles that lifeguards use to prevent dumb surfers who wipeout from sinking xD

This is what i got:

An ATV driven by a single L motor with a 2:1 ratio, independent front suspensions and a single shock absorber for the rear axle.

It has tubolar design for the chassis that makes it really light, the whole model weights 500g...you can find a picture of the chassis in the WIP thread http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=88988

thanks to the fact i avoided using a differential it performs really nice off the road having nice crawling abilities.

152j7g2.jpg

Then there's the jetski!

Unfortunately it doesn't float :P

The nozzle can be oriented by rotating the handlebar. I made custom stickers for this model to give it a more realistic look making it similar to the real counterpart :)

2vtbjpv.jpg

Last but not least there's the trailer!

After all how would you save a surfer in need if your jetski is parked on the sand? :D

This trailer features a winch, that allows loading the jetski and secure it, and a small wheel that can be locked in a raised position or a lowered one so the trailer can stand alone.

343kgap.jpg

As the contest calls for "displaying models in their operating environment" i went to take some pictures in their usual place: the seaside!

After running away from a giant dog who thought my models could have been something nice to eat i've been able to shoot these pics and some clips...

15dxdnr.jpg

aavfyo.jpg

14v0dwg.jpg

e13llk.jpg

Then i got back home with a song in my head that could fit perfectly...

Are you ready to sing along? xD

that's all my mates :) i hope you'll like it !!

Lifestyle Machines

Hi Everyone,

Here in my entry into the Triple contest.

These are a few of the machines we use every single day, in order (usually) that we use them.

11133634045_60ce1c7627_c.jpg

Treadmill to work out.

Washing machine to wash your clothes.

Recliner to relax after a hard days work.

11143382706_039b2de8ff_c.jpg

11133380585_96c55802c3_c.jpg

Functions include rotating tread and adjustable incline, to increase or decrease the intensity of your workout.

11143407604_5b44edcec3_c.jpg

11143362496_a53990a9c4_c.jpg

11133404596_3570258be7_c.jpg

Functions include lift-able lid, agitator function and realistic on/off switch on the top panel powered by 1 M motor.

11143406234_e7f53a508e_c.jpg

11133562203_c4d10a5c85_c.jpg

Motorized recliner function, for carefree effortless relaxing controlled by the handle on the right.

Here is a video showcasing the functions.

The stickers are hand drawn by me, some of the text was 1mm tall.

Many thanks go to Naruto for demonstrating these models. :thumbup:

Thanks for your consideration and I hope you liked them. :sweet:

Edited by Jim