Let me introduce myself and tell you something about this new topic. Some of you may know me in connection with modification of alternative model from set 8052. I modified it into truck with work platform last summer and provided you building instruction via brickshelf. It is not my only creation so I decided to share my other creations with you too. One more note before introducing my models – I am focused on building models from one set so they could be named as “unofficial alternative models”. It’s enough about me and let’s look at what I have for you now!

8052_model_1-1.jpg

This is truck with work platform I spoke about above.

My latest creation is “telehandler” also from set 8052. Honestly it doesn’t have telescopic boom but at least it looks like it has... :) It features following functions:

• lifting boom via linear actuator and medium motor with gear ratio 1:3 (it is as slow as lifting container in main model)
  • rear axle steering with eccentric control via beacon on roof of cabin – this was little puzzle because lack of bevel gears
  • front stabilizers which are able to lift front wheels little bit above land
  • adjustable rear mirror (I like especially that one on side of battery box)

8052_model_2-1-telehandler.jpg

8052_model_2-2-telehandler.jpg

8052_model_2-3-telehandler.jpg

8052_model_2-4-telehandler.jpg

8052_model_2-5-telehandler.jpg

Edited by Tomik

Welcome, my Czech fella.

Your telehandler looks pretty cool. I have another idea for an alternate on my mind, but the time is what I lack.

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you like my telehandler. I also plan to create building instructions for this model and add it on my web buildinst (just it will take few weeks). I have more to show so you can expect other creations soon.

Welcome, my Czech fella.

Your telehandler looks pretty cool. I have another idea for an alternate on my mind, but the time is what I lack.

I've got one more idea for another alternative model too (I hope it is different to yours) just I have same problem with time...

Before I’ll show you my first steps with creating alternative models, I would like to introduce you my most complex model up to date – propeller plane from set 8068. It took few days to put all functions into this medium-size model and give it realistic design.

Plane features:

• turning ailerons and elevator via stick in cockpit – honestly they turn in opposite way to real planes but even this was great success for me
  • working landing gear – you can open front landing gear or hide it under wings via turning gear in front of cockpit, rear landing gear is fixed

8068_model_1-1-plane.jpg

Plane with hidden landing gear

8068_model_1-2-plane.jpg

Plane with opened landing gear

8068_model_1-6-plane.jpg

Landing gear in motion

8068_model_1-4-plane.jpg

8068_model_1-5-plane.jpg

Edited by Tomik

I like this :) I like the whole idea of custom alternative models and yours both look good and seem to have excellent functionality.

Your telehandler looks great! It looks very telehander-like. I like what you did with the panels and the battery box, and with the outriggers at the front. Nice work on that one. I'd like to see more of how you did the steering.

The airplane is good too. Unfortunately I don't own the set so I don't really know what is possible within the set. But I think this is a worthwhile alternate with interesting functions.

On 5/15/2011 at 10:14 AM, Erik Leppen said:

Your telehandler looks great! It looks very telehander-like. I like what you did with the panels and the battery box, and with the outriggers at the front. Nice work on that one. I'd like to see more of how you did the steering.

You can see below how I made steering. It was the easiest way how to transfer torque without enough gears.

Edited by Tomik

some really nice models there , i might try the first one ! Keep up the good work :)

I'm back to show you how my "building career" began. But first I'd like to thank you for your replies.

So my first MOC was motorbike built from set 8048. I've got idea to build motorbike from this set thanks to similarity to my first Lego set ever - 8829 (main model was similar red buggy as in 8048 and alternative was motorbike). After some time I created motorbike with V2 engine, rear wheel suspension and turnable stand. This model also started my line of alternative models from set 8048. Now I'm at number 8 (motorbike, plane, trike, helicopter, T-rex trike, wasp, rabbit and tyrannosaur). It is almost nothing comparing to grohl's 29 alternative models from set 8271 but I still keep on building... :wink:

If you have set 8048 in your collection and you'd like to build this motorbike, you'll find building instructions at my website buildinst.

8048_model_1-2-motorbike.jpg

8048_model_1-1-motorbike.jpg

So rest of my creations from set 8048 is below:

The second model was propeller plane which turns propeller when it is moving. It is such a simple toy plane for children.

8048_model_2-1-plane.jpg

The third model was more serious – it was trike with two seats and V4 engine.

8048_model_3-1-trike.jpg

Helicopter came as the fourth model. It moves both propellers when gear on side is being turned. This picture just shows older version which I’ve already improved little bit.

8048_model_4-2-helicopter.jpg

The fifth creation is T-rex trike. It is my most complex model from this set. It features V2 engine, front wheels steering and front wheels independent suspension.

8048_model_5a-1-trike.jpg

The sixth model was my first Lego Technic animal. I built wasp which flaps wings when its abdomen is being turned. It also has moving head and rear legs suspension :) Building instructions for this model are available at buildinst.

8048_model_6-1-wasp.jpg

Next creation was rabbit. I tried to invent some kind of hopping mechanism but this idea failed. :( At least it lifts its head and front legs up when you press its tail.

8048_model_7-1-rabbit.jpg

8048_model_7-2-rabbit.jpg

And the last is my lovely tyrannosaur. It has almost no functions (just opening maw) but it looks cool. I was surprised how well those red panels fit for its head.

8048_model_8-6-tyrannosaur.jpg

Those are realy great creations!

I always find it impressive what some people can build with the parts of just one set. :thumbup:

Thank all of you for your compliments!

To RohanBeckett: I know about this numbers... Just it needs more time than I have to beat this record and this is not my only set where I create alteranate models. Anyway I would like to reach at least number 10 ;)

To technicmad: Are you speaking about tyrannosaur or about trike?

Thank all of you for your compliments!

To RohanBeckett: I know about this numbers... Just it needs more time than I have to beat this record and this is not my only set where I create alteranate models. Anyway I would like to reach at least number 10 ;)

To technicmad: Are you speaking about tyrannosaur or about trike?

The tyrannosaur. I've never tried a trike :) I made a T-rex for my son and he thought it was an alien :/

The tyrannosaur. I've never tried a trike :) I made a T-rex for my son and he thought it was an alien :/

Sounds funny... :) I have to say it was not so easy way for me neighter. I built head in moment but building body was looong process with few dead ends. I also made few improvemts according to comments at czech Lego forum.