Sign in to follow this  
RedSparrow

[LDD MOC] English Schooner

A good morning/afternoon/evening to you all.

I've been hanging around here for a while now, and I've decided it's high time I came up with something of my own to contribute. I drew inspiration from Dread Pirate Wesley's HMS Pickle, mostly for doing the hull and the spars.

So, without further ado, I present my first MOC: a 12-gun, 2-masted, fore-and-aft rigged schooner.

Port Side.

post-137909-0-11002700-1442015142_thumb.png

pirates-indexed.gif Schooner 4B

Starboard Side.

post-137909-0-08897900-1442015149_thumb.png

The head-on view.

post-137909-0-48776800-1442015251_thumb.png

And a view of the stern.

post-137909-0-55063000-1442015270_thumb.png

Comments and criticism are welcome. If you would like additional shots of different angles, just ask and I will be happy to oblige.

Schooners happen to be a passion of mine... either that or just an excuse to buy more research books.

I really like the lines of your schooner - not too built-up. What is the time period of your schooner? I ask because how you do the lines of the stern will depend upon the time period you choose. For example, schooners from the early- to mid-1700s had a raised stern, much like yours except the rise was more blocky and started nearer to the rear mast. But schooners from the Napoleonic era tended to have a stern that was more flush to the main deck.

The angle on the rear of the ship where the cabin windows go also was different - with earlier schooners having a gradual slope like the one you have, while later schooners had a much sharper slope.

I learned from experience that Lego schooners can be VERY tricky to plan and build, but you've got quite a nice one here! Great job!

Edited by Plaid Beard

Thank you guys!

I was going to try to build the English Ensign, but I settled for the St George's Cross in the end as it was just easier.

As for the time period, I did a little research but most of the schooners I found were more Napoleonic-era ones, as per Plaid Beard's description. Also based on that, I suppose its a mid-1700s schooner, despite the slope on the stern.

I'm always a fan of a schooner and this is a nice design. I think it would look more high speed if the stern was streamlined. Do you plan to build it?

Edited by Mr. Townsend

This is a good addition to the small Lego schooner fleet. They tend to be out-classed by full-rigged ships by most builders so it's nice to see another sailing these waters. I'm impressed by your research as well. Keep it up!

Thank you all for your replies!.

Do you plan to build it?

I might, it'll depend on if I get ahold of the upper-bow hull piece, then I should be good to go from there.

But why are there no sales?

No sails because my option for sails would have been to brickbuild them, which is something that will either go beautifully (i.e. Dunkleosteus' ships) or horrifically (i.e. this ship, had I decided to try)