Sign in to follow this  
Dorayaki

Themes/products by "Competitor" brands that actually interest

I've recently delved into some "off-brands". I am a pretty big Call of Duty fan and for my bday, my bro picked me up a couple sets, including the awesome Dome Battleground. I was very impressed by the quality, considering all the horror stories I've read about knock-offs. It wasn't as good as LEGO, of course, but nothing bad either. Colors were good, the pieces held togehter well, etc. The Dome set is a great likeness for the place I loved in the game and figures are super playable, with full poseability. I love how one can add attachments for the weapons too, very similar to the game.

Thanx for your detailed and useful reply. I don't own other brands but I believe MB do try to catch up LEGO and their quality is getting better. Their current problem is their non-unified system scale and brand reliablity.

Remember Transformers and GI Joe both belong to Kre-O/Hasbro and they'll never relate to LEGO. It's a pity that Hasbro didn't have any reation to the rejected CUUSOO My Little Pony project, maybe because they think it conflicts with regular playsets.

Though Kre-O themes are not in my interest list, GI Joe does have some distinctive designs different from generic military themes by having distinctive soldier characters in their line. I'm no fan of Kreons though they do have distinctive desgins to differ from LEGO minifigures. CityVille Invasion's mini Kreons seem to use cheap money strategy along with their motion brick technology, but its target market might be smaller than LEGO's City Police and action themes.

CMF is an intereseting point. Many other brands began their licensed/special series blind bags earlier than LEGO. TLG do obviously notice this and they'll probably do more next year. However, many licenses share the same problem that many characters repetitively appear in both blind bags and regular sets, which decrease my interests for them.

Edited by Dorayaki