The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Recommended Posts

The risk of something like a museum is the limitations of a 32x32 stud footprint. Something like that could be a great contender for the next anniversary modular, like Assembly Square.

Something simple like a bookshop would be nice. It would be good to see something a bit different different. We're fairly overrun with dining options for the minifigs. Some other form of shop or service would be nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We haven't had a 2 story building since BB and half of DO. I just released that lol, we could have just a Bookstore/Library, with a small shop off in the corner. We did get the new pooh piece. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, wesker said:

I know I've suggested this before but using Lego's own history of themes would be a great subject for the exhibits. Having the Black Falcons as part of a medieval exhibit, a micro build replica of the Black Sea Barracuda and King Kahuka's mask as part of a pirate exhibit, the Classic Space astronaut as part of a space exhibit or Johnny Thunder's discoveries from the Adventurers line are just some ideas of the things they could incorporate.

 

18 hours ago, meliander said:

That's a really cool idea, I like it!

I agree,...that is a fab idea,....and a heap of fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, pooda said:

@RuffDraft Man. No one cares if its American. Lego internationally sells sets that take place in one country all the time. 

Don't crush people's hopes and dreams. 

Haha! I'm sorry. I don't mean to crush anyone's dreams. I hope for you that it's a Soda Shop! I've just never heard of one... in comparison to every other modular building, whereby I know what it is, regardless of which country it belongs to.... if that makes sense? Whereas I think a lot of Europeans might look at it with raised eyebrows, like, "What is it?" But it's cool... I'm all for whatever it is! 

21 hours ago, Vindicare said:

It’s more broad than the name suggests. They’re most known for selling ice cream & other goods, which included a soda fountain. 

Ahhh OK! That makes more sense. Thanks for explaining! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While we are waiting for the next modular building to be revealed, what do you guys think about the next building to be retired. The long overstay of Parisian Restaraunt and quick retirement of both Brink Bank and Detective's Office (I hate to had missed both) last year makes me worry. This is just so unpredictable. I got the PR recently and now saving for Assembly Square. So what do you think the chances are for AS to be retired soon/in spring (like BB/DO)/summer/not retired at all this year? When they add a new modular - something has to go for sure otherwise it will be like 5 modulars selling at once...

Edited by meliander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pooda said:

@RuffDraft Don't they have snack shops in Europe?

Nope, that's another idea I'm not familiar with. If  I need snacks I would just go to Tesco or another supermarket. Probably the equivalent of your smaller grocery stores. 

With the majority of Lego designers being European, I would expect the modular to either have a theme seen in Europe (as with the Petrol station, fire station etc), or be something that is recognisable from American media (like a Diner was) even though it isn't a common feature here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, meliander said:

While we are waiting for the next modular building to be revealed, what do you guys think about the next building to be retired. The long overstay of Parisian Restaraunt and quick retirement of both Brink Bank and Detective's Office (I hate to had missed both) last year makes me worry. This is just so unpredictable. I got the PR recently and now saving for Assembly Square. So what do you think the chances are for AS to be retired soon/in spring (like BB/DO)/summer/not retired at all this year? When they add a new modular - something has to go for sure otherwise it will be like 5 modulars selling at once...

According to The Brick Fan, Parisian Restaurant is due to be retired at the end of this year. https://www.thebrickfan.com/retiring-lego-sets-for-2019/

There is no mention of Assembly Square or any other modulars on the list of retiring sets though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, meliander said:

While we are waiting for the next modular building to be revealed, what do you guys think about the next building to be retired. The long overstay of Parisian Restaraunt and quick retirement of both Brink Bank and Detective's Office (I hate to had missed both) last year makes me worry. This is just so unpredictable. I got the PR recently and now saving for Assembly Square. So what do you think the chances are for AS to be retired soon/in spring (like BB/DO)/summer/not retired at all this year? When they add a new modular - something has to go for sure otherwise it will be like 5 modulars selling at once...

Parisian Restaurant is definitely retiring. I missed getting one a couple months ago for $104, so I'm hoping for $128 at S@H with the free tree, but it's definitely retiring this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Assembly Square would but no word on it. Those are the last two I want. I'm not going to collecting a theme that LEGO will randomly charge $30 more for a set like this years garbage for no reason.

The Ninjago Modulars are also retiring if anyone adds those to these. 

Edited by Maple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, nikhkin said:

The risk of something like a museum is the limitations of a 32x32 stud footprint. Something like that could be a great contender for the next anniversary modular, like Assembly Square.

Something simple like a bookshop would be nice. It would be good to see something a bit different different. We're fairly overrun with dining options for the minifigs. Some other form of shop or service would be nice. 

Yeah, a museum(school as well) would definitely need the larger footprint to LEGO accurately realize those buildings. They just wouldn’t look as grand as they should be if stuck to the standard footprint. 

19 hours ago, Hellrazr88 said:

We haven't had a 2 story building since BB and half of DO. I just released that lol, we could have just a Bookstore/Library, with a small shop off in the corner. We did get the new pooh piece. 

I think this would be a great contender for another shorter building. I was just talking about it being a two story one, all bookstore, with small cafe, inside. 

But since I doubt we’ll get a single use building again...and it’s just a one store bookstore I’d rather they leave out the cafe. Around here though all the larger bookstores have little cafes in them. I’ll throw that out there for the 16x32 split combo, one being a two story bookstore & the other being a slightly taller two story with cafe below & apartment above. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the rumors of a book shop are true then I think it would work quite well as an old fashioned, second hand style book shop, maybe with an antiques store attached as well. And then a small coffee shop or tea room on the second floor too.

If not, then I reckon I might use that as the theme of my next moc. :sweet:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

If the rumors of a book shop are true then I think it would work quite well as an old fashioned, second hand style book shop, maybe with an antiques store attached as well. And then a small coffee shop or tea room on the second floor too.

That would be amazing! It would be so cosy and charming! I know I need to stop with that but maybe an antique store that sells Art Nouveau furnitures and decorations (as well)? *oh2* The only thing I'm not sure about in your idea is that we already had a small cosy cafe/tea room in the AS even though I personally would love to get another one of (if it's different enough which it can easily be)...

image-asset.jpeg?format=2500w

28 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

 If not, then I reckon I might use that as the theme of my next moc. :sweet:

Sounds great as well! Your modulars are always packed with great stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Yeah, a museum(school as well) would definitely need the larger footprint to LEGO accurately realize those buildings. They just wouldn’t look as grand as they should be if stuck to the standard footprint. 

I think this would be a great contender for another shorter building. I was just talking about it being a two story one, all bookstore, with small cafe, inside. 

But since I doubt we’ll get a single use building again...and it’s just a one store bookstore I’d rather they leave out the cafe. Around here though all the larger bookstores have little cafes in them. I’ll throw that out there for the 16x32 split combo, one being a two story bookstore & the other being a slightly taller two story with cafe below & apartment above. 

We have enough cafes, I'm thinking something the size of the laundromat. Something that contradicts the book store like a wine shop. Would play well into the PR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s been a lot of food and drinks places over the years. We’ve also had pet shops and vets, dance studios and music instrument shop. Recording studio too.
We’re missing a place for the mechanic to buy his tools. Perhaps a hardware store and newspaper stand/small corner store, although not on a corner. Obviously since we had a corner last time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's truly a bookshop, my better half will be thrilled. She has been talking about a modular bookshop for ages now. And it would be a marvelous fit for her favorite figure:

41j0vCuWC+L._SX425_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An antiques store or a hardware shop next to the book shop are great ideas. I know we've been wanting a post office for a long time. Next to a book shop it could work, but it doesn't have to be a post office it could be a delivery service store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

The only thing I'm not sure about in your idea is that we already had a small cosy cafe/tea room in the AS even though I personally would love to get another one of (if it's different enough which it can easily be)...

I just feel that a cafe would be the most likely thing to put alongside a book store, but I agree we really do have enough eating/drinking establishments in the modular buildings already.

2 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Sounds great as well! Your modulars are always packed with great stuff!

Thanks very much. :classic:

5 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

I know we've been wanting a post office for a long time. Next to a book shop it could work,

I would really love it to be a post office with book shop next door or on the second floor. Great idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

If the rumors of a book shop are true then I think it would work quite well as an old fashioned, second hand style book shop, maybe with an antiques store attached as well. And then a small coffee shop or tea room on the second floor too.

If not, then I reckon I might use that as the theme of my next moc. :sweet:

Are there different rumours saying it will be a book shop, or just the previous post about the person who was informed by the local store clerk? 😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

According to The Brick Fan, Parisian Restaurant is due to be retired at the end of this year. https://www.thebrickfan.com/retiring-lego-sets-for-2019/

There is no mention of Assembly Square or any other modulars on the list of retiring sets though.

Thank you! That list is a lifesaver!

16 hours ago, Maple said:

Parisian Restaurant is definitely retiring. I missed getting one a couple months ago for $104, so I'm hoping for $128 at S@H with the free tree, but it's definitely retiring this year

I have no idea how people catch modulars on sale, I'm always late for those. Good luck and don't miss PR!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

Are there different rumours saying it will be a book shop, or just the previous post about the person who was informed by the local store clerk? 😳

Just that one post, as far as I know. 

Plus, if the rumour spreads to other sites, chances are it is just people reiterating what was said here. 

Right now, it's the best (and only) info we have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, meliander said:

Thank you! That list is a lifesaver!

I have no idea how people catch modulars on sale, I'm always late for those. Good luck and don't miss PR!

Likewise. I rarely see them discounted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, meliander said:

Thank you! That list is a lifesaver!

I have no idea how people catch modulars on sale, I'm always late for those. Good luck and don't miss PR!

Amazon. Sadly I was too young and dumb and missed the $96 Cafe Corner and the $108 Green Grocer years ago. But Amazon has them on sale often and there are ways to still get them cheaper that sorry I won't share, but aren't illegal. :laugh: I friend of mine got one of the $104 PR and I almost got a $104 NinjaGo City which will haunt be forever that I missed.

But PR will be $128 (20% off) at S@H and Amazon for Black Friday, that's how I have gotten the last several modulars. The bank sold out within 45 minutes (and the S@H site is garbage) so thankfully I got it on Amazon when they were clearing them out a week later.

I like the idea of a post office and a book store, so I'm sure that won't be it. haha

Edited by Maple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a tip to spot modulars on discount. I always use brickwatch.net to get alerts on discounts for modulars ( and other lego sets). Works really well here in the Netherlands. Also available in Germany, France and the UK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, heelveelbier said:

Here is a tip to spot modulars on discount. I always use brickwatch.net to get alerts on discounts for modulars ( and other lego sets). Works really well here in the Netherlands. Also available in Germany, France and the UK. 

In the USA there is a site call CamelCamelCamel. Yes weird name but also will give you updates on price (I think) and gives you the cheapest price listed. It's not 100% but it's decent.

The bank was the only one I was harder one. It kept going in and out of stock on Amazon but finally got it before it went out for good. I was hoping LEGO would have gotten it back for free promo but no luck.

So for the next couple weeks is when LEGO is the cheapest it is all year, and sometimes for the retiring sets cheapest price ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 6:26 AM, nikhkin said:

Nope, that's another idea I'm not familiar with. If  I need snacks I would just go to Tesco or another supermarket. Probably the equivalent of your smaller grocery stores. 

With the majority of Lego designers being European, I would expect the modular to either have a theme seen in Europe (as with the Petrol station, fire station etc), or be something that is recognisable from American media (like a Diner was) even though it isn't a common feature here. 

An ice cream salon / store for europeans would be more understandable. But I would hope anything like that would be small, just one floor of half a modular is all that would be needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.