The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

2 hours ago, Shiva said:

Blazej_Holen, I was not sure if it was a typewriter or laptop.

When did those centralized computers pop up? The ages when people still had terminals?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_2260 seems to be 1 of the earlier? 1964 wikipedia says?

nikhkin, Town Hall the only exception maybe?

Regarding lego modulars, only Town Hall set has a computer. I think that it was "one of slip" form its designer Astrid. But the resto of the line holds up to the early periods without computers, including BB. Last modular CG is situated to the 50's. So I think that eletronic devices will start to pop up if the modulars move to the 70's and further... :)

People get all hung up on the computer in Town Hall like it's the lone outlier in an otherwise definitive period setting, but plenty of minifigs throughout the sets are sporting decidedly modern clothing and hairstyles. Modulars have always been a bit of an anachronism stew.

Besides, look at the clocks: Pet Shop, Town Hall, Brick Bank, and Assembly Square all have clocks, and they all show different times. (Even two in the same building in Assembly Square's case!) If the modulars can't even be consistent on what time it is, why expect them to stick to the same time period:poke:

30 minutes ago, tafkatb said:

People get all hung up on the computer in Town Hall like it's the lone outlier in an otherwise definitive period setting, but plenty of minifigs throughout the sets are sporting decidedly modern clothing and hairstyles. Modulars have always been a bit of an anachronism stew.

Besides, look at the clocks: Pet Shop, Town Hall, Brick Bank, and Assembly Square all have clocks, and they all show different times. (Even two in the same building in Assembly Square's case!) If the modulars can't even be consistent on what time it is, why expect them to stick to the same time period:poke:

Preach! Also, just because a building was built in the 1950s, doesn't mean it wouldn't be around in the 1980s... so a 1950s looking building could still come with 1980s kit, or 2010s if they wanted it to... 

Anyways, just here for the rumours and excitement! Can't wait for the new modular building!!! 

On 11/4/2019 at 10:53 PM, Agent 86 said:

I'm happy with a bookstore. Although, I would expect some kind of secondary building / business. I don't know what Lego would find amusing to pair with a bookstore ... maybe a small garden supplies shop? Books and "book ... worms"? Or maybe a bookshop and an arcade (i.e. books vs. video games debate)?

After the Brick Bank / Launderette and laundering money, I imagine they would pair a book store and a restaurant / takeaway, so someone would be cooking the books.

Just now, MAB said:

After the Brick Bank / Launderette and laundering money, I imagine they would pair a book store and a restaurant / takeaway, so someone would be cooking the books.

I think that we have plenty of restaurants/coffee businesses in modular line dont you think?

55 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

I think that we have plenty of restaurants/coffee businesses in modular line dont you think?

Yes. Which shows that they like making them.

Personally I don't want another one, but then I didn't think the launderette was really necessary but they made that to fit in with a joke.

An ice cream shop or a candy shop next to the book shop wouldnbe nice, of it is a book shop. But I eould be happy with more living space.

Ice cream parlor/soda fountain/candy store would be great, we haven't had any of those in modulars before (there have been ice cream things in other themes before like the TLM ice cream truck but I dont think LEGO have ever done a candy store or a soda fountain before)

1 hour ago, pooda said:

Yeah! I wanna see a soda shop! 

I’m guessing a soda shop is American? 

We don’t have shops that just sell pop over here — well they do, but amongst other things, such as newspapers — but we have had diners, I think a Soda Shop is very specific to Americans, so I’m uncertain if that would filter down into a Lego set, when they’re not very iconic / known outside of the States? Everyone has seen American Diners in films, but I don’t recall seeing a soda shop??? 

An ice cream shop would be cool, and reminiscent of the latest Stranger Things’ series too! 

I really like the Museum idea. It does not necessarily have to be dinosaurs (although that would be grouse).I agree,..double base plate with oodles of internal stuff with exhibits etc. Large brick count would be sweet (4000+ like Assembly Square). 

The subject of the Museum can be anything. Ancient History would be something that I'd be keen on. Plenty of imaginative stuff for Lego to work in creating something like that.

Building it and displaying would be a hoot!!

1 hour ago, RuffDraft said:

I’m guessing a soda shop is American? 

We don’t have shops that just sell pop over here — well they do, but amongst other things, such as newspapers — but we have had diners, I think a Soda Shop is very specific to Americans, so I’m uncertain if that would filter down into a Lego set, when they’re not very iconic / known outside of the States? Everyone has seen American Diners in films, but I don’t recall seeing a soda shop??? 

An ice cream shop would be cool, and reminiscent of the latest Stranger Things’ series too! 

It’s more broad than the name suggests. They’re most known for selling ice cream & other goods, which included a soda fountain. 

44 minutes ago, PBRStreetgang said:

I really like the Museum idea. It does not necessarily have to be dinosaurs (although that would be grouse).I agree,..double base plate with oodles of internal stuff with exhibits etc. Large brick count would be sweet (4000+ like Assembly Square). 

The subject of the Museum can be anything. Ancient History would be something that I'd be keen on. Plenty of imaginative stuff for Lego to work in creating something like that.

Building it and displaying would be a hoot!!

I know I've suggested this before but using Lego's own history of themes would be a great subject for the exhibits. Having the Black Falcons as part of a medieval exhibit, a micro build replica of the Black Sea Barracuda and King Kahuka's mask as part of a pirate exhibit, the Classic Space astronaut as part of a space exhibit or Johnny Thunder's discoveries from the Adventurers line are just some ideas of the things they could incorporate.

1 hour ago, wesker said:

I know I've suggested this before but using Lego's own history of themes would be a great subject for the exhibits. Having the Black Falcons as part of a medieval exhibit, a micro build replica of the Black Sea Barracuda and King Kahuka's mask as part of a pirate exhibit, the Classic Space astronaut as part of a space exhibit or Johnny Thunder's discoveries from the Adventurers line are just some ideas of the things they could incorporate.

That's a really cool idea, I like it!

I like the idea of a "Lego History" museum. That could be really cool.  They could have printed poster pieces on the walls along with micro builds.  

If it is a bookstore, why can't it just be a bookstore or a bookstore with an apartment on top at most?

3 hours ago, pooda said:

@RuffDraft Man. No one cares if its American. Lego internationally sells sets that take place in one country all the time. 

Don't crush people's hopes and dreams. 

You seem to take discussion very personally. 

People aren't trying to crush your hopes and dreams, they're just suggesting that certain ideas may not translate well into a Lego set.

A soda shop isn't something that is well known around the world. A diner may be more American themed, but people are aware of the concept. A soda shop simply isn't a concept that a lot of people have heard of. 

Soda shop? I actually had to Wikipedia that one. Looks cool though. But on that note we could do:

snackbar, fish-shop, butcher, drugstore, waffles-shop, pancake restaurant, etc. 

I got a lot of those kind of businesses around my place. 

I don't mind having more food places. Most high streets seem to be full of restaurants/cafés/takeaways these days with several rival coffee shop chains in close proximity!

I like the idea of...

• Gelateria/Ice Cream Parlour - could fit well next to the diner set if also 50's style but would like something Mediterranean-style
  • Chinese Takeaway (with all the Chinese-based sets being released and would be good to have the food packaging from Big Bang Theory set re-released)
  • Fishmonger (perhaps not the focus of a whole set)
  • Pharmacy (perhaps not the focus of a whole set)
  • Taxi Cab Office (perhaps not the focus of a whole set)

Larger Modulars (perhaps too big for the usual scale)

• Museum
  • School
  • Railway Station
  • Bowling Alley (would also match the Diner)

Larger Modulars (perhaps too big for the usual scale)

• Museum
  • School
  • Railway Station
  • Bowling Alley (would also match the Diner)

The only one I would see an issue with there is probably the railway station. The others may actually work. You can always downsize the bowling alley. Lego is just good at downsizing something, but making it look better in the process. Look at what they did with this year's harvester. 

Edited by pooda

10 hours ago, CSW652 said:

I like the idea of a "Lego History" museum. That could be really cool.  They could have printed poster pieces on the walls along with micro builds.  

If it is a bookstore, why can't it just be a bookstore or a bookstore with an apartment on top at most?

I like the idea of just a bookstore, it would work as a stand alone bookstore with maybe a side small cafe/coffee bar. Maybe it could be a smaller sized modular. 

i really love this suggestion of a Lego History museum. I’ve been wanting to see a museum type modular for ages. What a build it would be. Unfortunately the closest we will see I Think is the amazing LEGO ideas entry shortlisted by Brickybricks82 (name on Instagram)  It’s under consideration As an ideas set, so I assume this means LEGO will not be releasing one?? Does anyone know if this is the case?