Sign in to follow this  
paostmo

Question on contest rules in general.

I know every contest is a little different, but I'm wondering what the normal procedure is for submitting new vs old MOCs. And what constitutes "new?" I finally got my hands on some LEGOs since moving to Taiwan (so expensive here!) and have started some MOCs. I have a building that's exterior is 90% finished but the interior hasn't been started yet. It's going to be awhile before I get my hands on the parts I need to finish. I'd like to post the "unfinished" version for all to see :sweet: . If a contest comes along and I want to submit this MOC, would a small exterior MOD and a furnished interior make it "new" enough?

I realize it's a difficult question to answer and each case will be a little different, but I'm interested in everyone's opinions!

I think the bottom line is this; if it hasn't been posted anywhere, then it's eligible for the contest. But if you've posted the model somewhere, it doesn't count. 

If you do post your "unfinished version" BEFORE the contest starts, I don't think you can enter it in the contest. But if you have it built and un-posted, then it's good to go! :wink:

Of course, I'm just stating what I think the rules are. I'm sure a mod can come and clear everything up.

That's pretty much what I thought the general consensus was. Thanks to whoever moved this topic to the correct forum.

That's pretty much what I thought the general consensus was. Thanks to whoever moved this topic to the correct forum.

I don't organise contests here, but I do on flickr (the annual flickr LEGO military build contest) and the intention of the contest is to inspire people to build new and exciting stuff by enticing them with prizes :sweet: . Consequently, contest entries ought to be new. In practice this means that the entries may not have been posted anywhere before the contest starts.

Building a MOC and then waiting and hoping that a contest comes along for which it is fitting strikes me as a somewhat funny way of going about your business. If this MOC is something you wanted to build anyway, just enjoy doing that and sharing it with Eurobricks.

Cheers,

Ralph

... the intention of the contest is to inspire people to build new and exciting stuff by enticing them with prizes :sweet: .

Building a MOC and then waiting and hoping that a contest comes along for which it is fitting strikes me as a somewhat funny way of going about your business.

Agreed on both points. Withholding ones work just to wait for a contest (e.i. only sharing because you hope to get something out of it, rather than simply share something cool) does indeed seem silly. However, if you show off a MOC that you are really proud of, and the next day, somebody announces a contest, then I would be bummed.

Also, regarding the intention of contests to inspire people to build new MOCs. Say you build something many months ago, but have not yet shared it. It seems to go against the spirit of the contest to submit something "old." I think, at least to some extent, the contest itself should be the reason for building the MOC.