Update   I find finally the real problem with the serial transmission using  my old Omnibook 600 C running win 3 .11 and Dacta control lab .

It was the ground pin nr 5 in the 9 pin serial port that have mechanically been pushed into the base of the connector and therfore not keep the ekectrical ground path 

I was able to push it out again and fixate pin 5 with superglue ,so now the OB 600C works without the dockingstation ( that was providing the ground path using its extension connector to its 9 pin serial connector )

So all good now !

Hi Toastie et all

I found recently  old link with description using the interface A  and use it together with DOSbox-X .  I now have installed version 2024.03.01 . I  want to test if I can get the orignal dos version of Lego  controlab  with interface B  using Dosbox-x  running on  win 11 Pro  and using a  a USB to RS232  dongle  to work .

Anybody  that have tested that before ?

Best  /Lars

Posted (edited)

Hi Lars,

58 minutes ago, LH4PI said:

Anybody  that have tested that before ?

not that I know of, but that does not mean anything. I bet DosBox-X will work with interface B, as is does very nicely simulate the serial port at 9600 baud.

With old link, you are referring to this one, right? (https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/192941-lego-interface-a-97509771-–-lego-technic-control-1-tc1-referenceideas-thread/)

Are you planning on writing DOS based software for interface B?

All the best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

Thorsten , I already run the original  control lab  for interface B  in Dos , it works perfectly  on my old OB 600C  so why not try win 11 and DOSbox-X  using DOS 5.0 ?!

Hi Lars,

I am asking, because I have no clue what kind of software is available for interface B (other than the Windows application found on the web).

So when the original Dacta application is DOS based (please forgive me my ignorance!), it will run with DoxBox-X + USB2Serial adapter almost for sure.

Best,
Thorsten

Hi Thorsten

It is no problem to run the  dos  Dacta  LEGO  control lab program ver 1.3   itself using DOSbox-X 

The present  problem  are related to set up the communication  to the Interface B . I have tried to get DOSbox-x  working   using ATEN  usb to serial adapter at com1 .

That serial adapter  works with Windows 7 and windows 11  using windows  bricklab.exe application for the interface B  .

The strange thing  when I run the serial emulation  (using  directserial realport: com1) I only get  communication  working for a short time (at least it indicate that it sense the right port and speed  I believe)  , a few seconds and then the dos program  loose the communication   (Can't find the control box message  is displayed )

I have to play around how to  config and set up  virtual serial1  port  using the DOSbox-x configuration  Tool. It may be that dos program is sensitive for  how it  share the port  with windows in the background and now have incorrect  handshaking that is not what it expect or something  in that direction . I have to investigate  using  a terminal  and usb oscilloscope  or/and play around with the settings I belive

Best/Lars

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LH4PI said:

a few seconds and then the dos program  loose the communication   (Can't find the control box message  is displayed

Hi Lars,

it is all pure speculation because I don't have the hard nor the software ...

Just to get this into the clear:

1. You have the usb2serial adapter plugged in, when DOSBox-X is not running (i.e., you are in the Windows desktop; DOSBox-X it does not recognize the adapter when you plug it into a USB port after it was started);
  2. You changed the COM port for that adapter to COM1 in device manager;
  3. Then you start-up DOSBox-X with the config file (there are three: 1) dosbox-x.reference.full.conf, 2) dosbox-x.reference.conf, 3) dosbox-x.conf; only the last one is read by DOSBox-X upon start-up - it took me a while to figure that out ^^), where you changed the serial entry to "serial = directserial realport:COM1";
  4. Then you run "bricklab.exe", which is the DOS version to control interface B;
  5. In "bricklab.exe", the COM port is set to COM1.

Is that correct?

Best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

Almost correct 

Point 4 differs

Bricklab.exe  is a windows test  program for interfacec B and it works in windows 11 but no use for me.

Ctrlab exe is the original Dacta full funktion DOS program with labview like interface that I can run i DOSbox-X but not yet errorfree communication . I have started to use a sniff terminal program , let see if that help 

5 minutes ago, LH4PI said:

Bricklab.exe  is a windows test  program for interfacec B and it works in windows 11 but no use for me.

Ah. OK no, that won't work. Does bricklab.exe run under Win 3.11? The latter can be installed in DOSBox-X as well. OK, Win 3.11 was a DOS application anyway :pir-laugh:

Best,
Thorsten

Bricklab.exe actually have been made  by  Swedish programmer  , I have talked to him  but  it is clear that it  is not running win 3.11 but  win 95 and up !.  you find the program here http://www.blockcad.net/dacta/, the interface B 

The  sniffer program  I have found that actually support win 11 64 bit is https://www.electronic.us/products/serial-port-monitor/

Best Regards Lars 

Hi All 

Anybody that have info or link about a good free rs-232 monitor/analyzer that can " sniff'/ listen to the traffic  between a  wIN 7/10/11 64 bit computer  and a RS 232 device  and save that to file ?

Best Regards 

Lars 

6 hours ago, LH4PI said:

free rs-232 monitor/analyzer that can " sniff'/ listen to the traffic

Hi Lars,

in a German microcontroller forum they said this one does it: https://freeserialanalyzer.com/

For my needs, HTerm was sufficient, so I do not know how this software performs.

Best,
Thorsten

Thanks  Thorsten 

I also use Hterm !

I testet the software , but  it is free only for two first  week  and not as good for the same price as my suggestion  in my opinum .

I  have bought a faulty interface B  from USA and hope to be able  to fix it , I let You know .

Best Lars 

I find a solution , I bought a  vintage Toshiba Tecra  M5   that have  a standard 89 pin serial port (as well as SD, PCCARD, USB, CD/DVD, Video ou and a 80 GB  SATA  harddrive and 2G RAM)   ,  I successfully  install Lubuntu  18.04 LTS and  Dosbox  for linux  and get it working using the  Dacta   Dos program  and  the serial port !

Posted (edited)

I find a solution , I bought a  vintage Toshiba Tecra  M5   that have  a standard 9 pin serial port (as well as SD, PCCARD, USB, CD/DVD, Video ou and a 80 GB  SATA  harddrive and 2G RAM)   ,  I successfully  install Lubuntu  18.04 LTS and  Dosbox  for linux  and get it working using the  Dacta   Dos program  and  the serial port ! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qP8ikgW1RdHr6lKT7XvZvx8HCeDMJicG/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ksEbxfCaHvN_ZMdJo2E9ZHQbzpGiAcLO/view?usp=drive_link

Edited by LH4PI

Everyone 

I now also want to run interface B , rcx and nxt using robolob 2.9  on windows xp  using natively serial port . Can anybody confirm that the interface B actually works well on this platform.

Best Lars 

Edited by LH4PI