Artizan

Architecture Contest: Hagia Sophia

It is a museum. I don't know how many times do I have to repeat this. Lego has produced Taj Mahal.

It is a very thin line indeed, but the Taj Mahal is a mausoleum and was meant to serve a religious purpose no more than, say, the Castel Sant’Angelo or the Lincoln Memorial. The Hagia Sophia always had religious roots before becoming a museum, as it is now. First it was a Christian basilica, afterwards it was converted into an Islam mosque. Just based on that last part you could imagine that it could be a very sensitive issue for many people, so it is perfectly understandable why TLG would decide that it does fit the religious bill and hence is not subject to approval for the Cuusoo project.

I think your creation bears a remarkable resemblance to the real thing, especially when you consider the scale, and it's a beautifully designed MOC. And I'm also disappointed that Lego won't produce buildings that have religious significance (which the Hagia Sophia undoubtedly does, at least historically), because that means there are so many wonderful architectural structures that we'll never see in the Architecture line. So many of the world's greatest designs were made in honour of one religion or other.

But when it comes to appealing Lego's decision to remove your project from CUUSOO, I don't see the point. We all know that if a project reaches 10,000 votes, it has to pass a Lego review - and they've already stated what they think of it, so even if they said 'well OK, we'll allow it back on CUUSOO' it still wouldn't pass that review if it were ever to make it that far...

Edited by L@go

Yeah, I see your point, it makes sense. Still I feel very bad about it. First removing from contest, now this...

My name is Kankan. email kankan.roy@gmail.com. I found in Amazon Ayasofya-Hagia Sophia-Istanbul in Lego bricks. But it is unavailable now. Kindly tell me how can I procure one. I am in USA. 

Hi, Is there any way i could purchase the instructions and parts of this? collecting lego architecture here, thank youuuuuu