Sign in to follow this  
Darth Nihilus

Anyone ever done this?

The other day I was painting one of my Clone Troopers, and I noticed something wierd. I was using acrylic paint for the first time on a clone, and when it dried, it came out....chalky-feeling. So I scratched it with my fingernail, and it rubbed off. :hmpf_bad: But now my clone looks like it is dirty, because the paint left traces of color on the plastic. If I can snap a picture of it I will post it later, but for now I just want to ask:

Has this happened to you when putting acrylic paint on Lego?

The other day I was painting one of my Clone Troopers, and I noticed something wierd. I was using acrylic paint for the first time on a clone, and when it dried, it came out....chalky-feeling. So I scratched it with my fingernail, and it rubbed off. :hmpf_bad: But now my clone looks like it is dirty, because the paint left traces of color on the plastic. If I can snap a picture of it I will post it later, but for now I just want to ask:

Has this happened to you when putting acrylic paint on Lego?

What you are feeling and seeing might be remaining binder from the paint itself, it could possibly be thinned with a solvent, or a good scrubbing since Acrylic uses a water base rather than an oil. The chalky look and feel is the result of a matte finish that Acrylic creates. Some acrylics can be purchased in glossy finishes, but a lot of the guys around here recommend Testors or other types of model paint. I assume that some of them go on with a smooth glossy finish.

To prevent chipping, which will occur with any acrylic paint, and most paint in general, you need to clear coat it, using a varnish like Krylon's crystal clear, which is a transparent varnish that gives a glossy look. Some spray paints are another option for nice base coats, but obviously will not work for fine details.

Hope this helps and good luck

br()wnie