Clone OPatra

Enough with the cheese?

74 members have voted

1. 1. Does LEGO overuse the cheese slope?

• No, I love the extra detail and want all the cheese I can get.
    • Yes, there's too much of it.
    • I don't really care

To be honest, I actually do think they overuse cheese. I can never find enough places to use them on MOCs, so they just take up space for me. I think ZO6 really sums it up well. :classic:

I appreciate having large amounts of cheese slopes in any color in my collection, however I find that I don't use them as extensively as others in my MOCs. While that is because I use near exclusively just bricks and plates, I am not too crazy about utilizing a huge amount of them.

Seeing cheese appear in so many LEGO sets has in my opinion, gotten to be like seeing Technic pins all over the place. In a short period of time, it has become a staple of LEGO sets and MOCing. Of course, the cheese slope has exponentially greater uses than a Technic pin, but has cheese found its way into scores of LEGO sets because it is indeed the one of best design solutions, or just for the sake of including cheese in a set?

Cheese provides an angle to use in the smallest dimension of building, something which was not available to us before, which is primarily why I use them (albeit selectively). I think they add a certain degree of irregularity and naturalness to rock formations, but I concur that it can be used excessively when incorporated into other landscaping settings. And of course, cheese yields itself to the finer angles seen on vehicles and buildings.

To sum up my opinion, as long as cheese is used in a thoughtful manner regardless of quantity, as opposed to being used for the sake that it's cheese, I don't mind the craze for cheese.

Perhaps kids don't use cheese slopes as much because they haven't quite figure out what a useful part it actually is. If you've only just reached the stage where you can build something that looks vaguely like, say, a car built out of larger bits in different colours, and have struggled to find a place for the wheels, adding a little cheese slope here and there is the least of your worries.

I too like a somewhat classic look and I don't use cheese slopes for the sake of it, but they do allow me to build shapes that would be all but impossible to pull off without them. I think I've got two nice examples in the same picture

[5769560628_2ecd496a41.jpg

It's a Maersk Maersk world by Mad physicist, on Flickr]

These are two models built two very different scales and both use a lot of cheese slopes, for instance, 50 medium blue ones on the train and and more than 70 dark red ones on the truck. That's a lot of cheese. Now, imagine either of them without cheese slopes...

Cheers,

Ralph