sonicstarlight

MOC: Galaxy Diner and Empire Theater

I really don't get how this amazing modular that gets sooooo much credit these days only have 1200 supporters on cuusoo :wacko:

COME ON PEOPLE!!!

When a yellow mascot can get 10.000, then this beautiful cinema and diner really deserve much more.

The downside I'm afraid is.... that if Empire Theater/Galaxy Diner SHOULD reach 10.000. Then there's no garantee that we'll see it in stores. TLG will probably say that Empire/Galaxy conflicts with and ongoing projekt (Palace Cinema) like they did with the amazing western modulars :cry_sad:

Well Sonicstarlight... I see no other solution than, you start selling instructions on ebay :wink:

Well, I guess it was just a matter or time before this got bumped from the dead. I'll respond once now that it is already at the top of the list, but I think the discussion on this has pretty naturally run its course so I'd rather let this fall off the first page so newer MOCs can get the spotlight.

I could be mistaken, but generally speaking stunning MOCs like this one tend to use a lot more bricks (and more different bricks) than the 2000 bricks of an official modular (and I'm not counting in the diner). You should be prepared to pay a lot more than € 150,- to build Sonicstarlight's Theatre. But it would be best to try and build a MOC by yourself.

This is virtually what I was going to say. As was said in the Palace Cinema topic, we get spoiled by all the great MOCs seen on this site and others as fans don't need to think about the bottom line like TLG does. My theater might have 3 times as many bricks as as the Palace Cinema does, the staircase will fall apart if you blink too hard, and the facade is held together by techniques that cause a little stress on the bricks which is not something they ever do in official sets - some parts are held on by friction and gravity alone. It looks great in the end, sure, but it is not practical for a set and that is exactly why I made it - I wanted a fully decked out Art Deco movie theater and I knew no official set could be as detailed as I wanted it. If you want a set that is grander than the official ones, all you need to do is build one - this is the beauty of Lego.

Also, there are no instructions for this - I wouldn't even know where to begin. I took a lot of photos, including ones that show the construction of the stairs and how the street facade works, so I think anyone motivated enough could make something 90% accurate if they have the will and want to spend $500+ on Bricklink in parts - I don't think such a person exists. If you have your heart set on this specific model, feel free to download the LDD model of the Mini Modular standard version - click here to see an image and find a link to download the virtual model. It's still 400 pieces, but the real one is over 10 times that.

I for one love the Palace Cinema. I also love all the beautifully impossible modulars I see here. It's important to know that there will always be a divide between the two, and the fact these official sets exist at all is still amazing to me.

Edited by sonicstarlight