Sign in to follow this  
BelValcor

Finding a train to build and sizing it up

My little guide on finding trains and cars to build and getting the scale right.

Be gentle... I'm new. :tongue:

I have found it very handy to go to the Walthers model train site to find inspiration for new mocs.

They have thousands and thousands of models with pictures and you can filter your search to get what you want.

Walthers search page.

Here I am looking for a tank car to model:

one.png

I have found a nice unit that is the right time period for me:

two.png

I go to the page for the green tanker to copy the image location:

three.png

Now I can use Lego Model Scaler ( I originally read about it at RailBricks ).

I paste the copied image link location in the box provided in step 1:

four.png

And then following the simple directions I can find the scale of the tanker to build:

five.png

To get the Lego Model Scaler started I entered 2 studs and then drew the first line on the wheel.

After that it's easy to find any other measurements you need.

Hopefully some of you may be inspired by this.

Bel

Funnily enough, and quite independently of your post, I've been using pictures of Bachmann's new 00 scale Class 70 for inspiration for trying to build my first LDD MOC. The Freightliner PowerHaul Class 70 is a big and very ugly new heavy freight loco from America (clearly American's like their trains styled as badly as their cars :tongue: !)- the prototype designer obviously wasn't listening in class when they were being shown how to use French curves! But then the angularity absolutely lends itself for reproduction in Lego- although some kind of articulation would need to be applied to the bogie design (beyond swivelling) to enable it to traverse tight Lego curves.

I'm finding the components on offer in LDD somewhat limiting as well as being a very slow build compared to building with 'real Lego' (of which I don't currently own).

These are the pics I am uaing for reference http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?sid=32703

If I were to build this using real Lego I'd have to invest in some transfer making kits to do the very striking livery.

Edited by Legoless

That's a nice engine to build Legoless.

Looks like 42 studs long :classic:

freightliner.png

I can't wait to see pics of this when it's done.

Maybe even a video of it passing through points :sweet:

Bel

That's a nice engine to build Legoless.

Looks like 42 studs long :classic:

freightliner.png

I can't wait to see pics of this when it's done.

Maybe even a video of it passing through points :sweet:

Bel

It'll be in LDD- I'm not building it in actual Lego. I'll only post it if it isn't too embarassing. I doubt whether it would be possible to build a Co-Co loco on LDD that would actually go through points- as it would require blind wheels on one axle, or some kind of extra articulation.