cityhunter009

Help needed - empty grid after loading file

Not sure how much this helps: I opened the LXFML file in a text editor, deleted a big bunch of bricks from the end of the bricks section and saved it, and LDD4 loaded it fine. So perhaps you could cut a chunk off the model in LDD3, save as two separate files, and reload them individually in LDD4, adding them back together at a later date when the bug's been fixed? Not exactly ideal I know :/ At least though if you need LDD4 to build it, the file isn't lost.

Looks like it's on its way to being one very nice model, I'd like to see it when it's complete.

Not sure how much this helps: I opened the LXFML file in a text editor, deleted a big bunch of bricks from the end of the bricks section and saved it, and LDD4 loaded it fine. So perhaps you could cut a chunk off the model in LDD3, save as two separate files, and reload them individually in LDD4, adding them back together at a later date when the bug's been fixed? Not exactly ideal I know :/ At least though if you need LDD4 to build it, the file isn't lost.

Looks like it's on its way to being one very nice model, I'd like to see it when it's complete.

I did the same a few weeks ago whit this model, but when I tried it to load there was nothing. So which parts did you deleted?

There are 33,267 bricks there altogether; I deleted about a thousand of them. I haven't looked at LXFML files before so I don't know what the RigidSystems or Joints are exactly, but if there are any references in those lines to the deleted bricks, it didn't cause any obvious ill-effects.

Looking again now, I thought it might be something like a Brick or Part limit of 32,767, but it's not that. 32,686 bricks works (IDs 0 to 32,685), but one more doesn't. Increasing the ID numbers of the last brick in the working file makes no difference, and neither does deleting the last-but-one brick and renumbering the last one - so it looks like just a limit on quantity.

Wow. looks like I'm late to the party. For future reference, if there is any issue or point that I might be of help with, please don't hesitate to PM me. I'd see it for sure, rather than a few months later :tongue: and I'd love to help in any way I can :sweet:

EDIT: guess its more an issue with themes in 4.0 as Bojan Pavsic found, and its being looked into. I can't say for sure, but I've had the most issues moving 3.0 DBM files to 4.0

This is an issue with LDD 4.0 and large models. I have a decent stockpile of saved large models and when I went back to check on some of them, LDD did the same empty load for me, unable to open items afterward. There is a certain threshold of size, though I have no idea why it happens or why LDD decides to go nuts after.

The previous version does not have this problem, and also has a larger piece limit. It will load any saved model, and simply crashes without saving if a model is too big (basically you will never have a big file you cannot open, since you cannot save it in the first place). It is also less sensitive to piece positioning, as many models that were migrated to 4.0 had tons of pieces missing.

I kept a back-up version of every previous LDD just in case, and when I had to migrate my models to 4.0, I swapped the installed files back and forth to accurately rebuild them.

For your case, it seems (from the picture) that you still have a ways to go. If you can, find a way to split it up into sections and build them separately. Though it might not be the best solution if you are only building this in LDD and it doesn't look right split.

I also noticed that you are using the regular DesignByMe mode, which handles less pieces and runs slower (from my experience). (I am guessing this as usually when you load a model it first switches modes, then loads. I might be wrong) If you are determined to build big, I might suggest using Universe mode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some tips:

As a note for large files, save often, and use different names so that if a save corrupts, you still have the previous version. When LDD "save crashes" it corrupts the save file, leaving a tiny file size unable to open. If you saved a previous version on a different name, it will be safe, and you won't have far to rebuild. Even in 4.0, it sometimes happens, and its just a good practice.

If you have a small amount to add to the model, you can always change to a lower compatibility mode, which sometimes allows for more pieces to be saved (I've gotten whole buildings to fit doing this :laugh: )

Edited by alienwar9