Sign in to follow this  
The Penguin

MOC: The Penguin's Winter Feast.

I generally just lurk the forums but this is too good not to reply. Winter themed designs are one of the toughest to convey realistically imo, but you did an excellent job. My favorite detail isn't actually outside though, but the curtains are... wow i don't even know. I love they way you did those. And the custom lich is great too. Over all it's a fantastic MOC.

As a former World of Warcraft player, I was able to appreciate some of your fantasy characters and associated humour (and of course the general shape of the building :tongue: ). Although you say it's more based off of Heroes of Might and Magic 3... hmm. Maybe that's why what I took as the 'Alliance' engineer was a dwarf instead of a gnome like I thought it should be...

Anyways, the outside looks nice, though IMO the interior looks a bit small, at least for playability's sake... not that most of us care about that factor. Beautiful little MOC, and gratz on getting front-paged.

Edited by Erynion

Just beautiful work all round Penguin. I love how the new castle walls have been integrated, and the icicles are such a lovely touch. Keep up the great MOCing.

Oh and Frontpagged as well :wub:

Thank you very much, I Scream Clone! :classic: I'm flattered by your kind words. I hope that you'll like the upcoming castle MOCs as well. )

And thanks a lot for frontpaging my MOC! That's very kind of you! :blush:

AWESOME yet so much a winter wonderland 'The Penguin' - congrats on being front paged ! :thumbup:

I'm a conformist! 'The Penguin' I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Thank you very much! :classic: I'm glad you liked it! )

Oleg, that is MARVELOUS!!! Taking my hat off - that is genius!!!

Thank you, comrade. ) :classic:

So many wonderful details.

The red roof.

The dark red curtains.

Th dripping icicles.

The cheese wedge snow.

This looks like you could use it with any number of different minifigure themes - At first I thought it could work with Samurai/ Ninja minifigures, then saw you'd used many types of Historical castle.

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much. Indeed, some of my techniques are pretty easy to use in any other themes. That's the best thing about LEGO: you have an idea - you can build it. ) :classic:

Nice moc! It has a lot of great detail!

Thank you. ) :classic:

Nicely done. I like how you did the icicles using the lightsaber blade and that "lazer beam" from the Series One Spaceman. I must admit this made me think of winter and how one finds that in winter, one can always get warmer, and that in summer, one cannot always get colder.

Thanks a lot! Indeed, a person can never bee satisfired, can he? ) :classic:

This is really quite impressive. Winter scenes are hard to pull off yet you've done an amazing job here. The lightsaber icicles work particularly well. Figure placement is also handled quite nicely. I really like the way you used cheese slopes to convey snow piled up along the walkway. Strangely enough, while I'm not that fussy about red roofing in most MOCs, in a winter scene like this it stands out perfectly. Great work.

Thank you very much. :classic: Indeed, red on white, blueandwhite, works very well. We in Russia know that! :laugh:

Speaking seriously, I was surprised how well it worked using white cheese slopes as pilled snow. Well, I'm glad that I could share something new with the community. ) :sweet:

Very nice MOC. There is a nice winter atmosphere around the house. I really like what you have done here. :thumbup:

Thank you very much! :classic:

*Picks up the eyes from the floor* Cant belive my eyes! :oh: You did really great job there, the tree is Marvelous :wub: And the woman out side really makes the russian feeling on it eh? The inside is breath taking, and those odd... creatures? Makes the feeling just perffect. Awesome job Penguin, keep it up dear neighbor. And the summer was hot here in Finland too, i didnt sleep at all so that was just real pain to me

EDIT: is that SlyOwls helmet or crown a custom one?

Captain Becker

The Russian feeling? :laugh: Perhaps. Thank you very much, neighbor! :wink: Indeed we have much in common, apart from history and hot summers! :classic:

Not, it's not SlyOwl's helmet. It's a standard LEGO kings crown, customised by me for my Castle character. You can check my custom figures in my signature. ) :classic:

I LOVE it! :laugh:

Thanks. ) :classic:

Great MOC! I love everything about this. The wintery feeling on the outside and the warm feeling in the inside is perfect. I also really like your custom figures. Also, is your bat/crown piece custom?

Thank you very much. :classic: I'm glad you liked my MOC. Yes it is. You can check my custom figures in my signature. ) :classic:

Great work as normal, I just had a thought what if you do a series of castle mocs, with Batman in Medival Times, that would be cool to see you do Mr Penguin.

For Example have Joker look like a jester.

Bane as a Dark Knight with a axe or looking like a troll.

You deciede tell me if you like my idea.

Thank you. ) :classic: Well, I recall Batbrick doing something like that, if I'm not mistaken. The idea is really nice, but it required much thought and time. I suppose I have no other choice but to come to it later. ) :thumbup:

Great work! I love that skeleton king minifig.

Thanks a lot! He likes you too! ) :grin:

It would look good with the winter toy shop, and the new holiday set coming out... a real nice winter layout.....

Thanks a lot. Yep, that's true. If we mod a winter toy shop to be more like 'shoppe', than it'll be just perfect! ) :laugh:

Great new MOC Penguin!

A really great small winter landscape. Loves how you pulled of the snow around the path. Really great use of those 1x1 cheese slopes.

Then I also just can add what the rest have said about the warm look in the interior,

funny small details such as the poured drink and the argue of the croissant is just crazy fun.

This makes me really want to build something to put next to the Winter Tyshop.

Thank you very much, Ras74! ) :classic:

I'm glad that you liked it. Well, despite not having a fast pace of MOC building (I have neither time nor skills, I guess) I try to make the MOCs I'm presening to be full of details, and small scenes, so that they appear to be 'living'.

Thanks again for your kind words! ) :thumbup:

Wow, great MOC, it looks cool.

Thank you. ) :classic:

Great job ! the snow along the walkway and the use of the lightsabers are just brilliant ! :thumbup:

Thanks a lot! ) :classic:

i like gobilin! no pali!

Um, thanks. ) :classic:

I generally just lurk the forums but this is too good not to reply. Winter themed designs are one of the toughest to convey realistically imo, but you did an excellent job. My favorite detail isn't actually outside though, but the curtains are... wow i don't even know. I love they way you did those. And the custom lich is great too. Over all it's a fantastic MOC.

Thank you very much! I'm pleased that my humble MOC managed to drag another LEGO fan to the great EB community! :thumbup:

Indeed winter scenes in most MOCs tend to look a bit blank, that is why I think that smaller scenes work better. I do have an idea, of making a larger winter-themed MOC, but it won't happen soon, I guess. ) :classic:

Beautiful detailing! Love the contrast of the white tree branches with the dark trunk.

--Evil

Thank you. ) Yep, I really like including brick-built trees, they look very cute to my taste. ) :wub:

As a former World of Warcraft player, I was able to appreciate some of your fantasy characters and associated humour (and of course the general shape of the building :tongue: ). Although you say it's more based off of Heroes of Might and Magic 3... hmm. Maybe that's why what I took as the 'Alliance' engineer was a dwarf instead of a gnome like I thought it should be...

Anyways, the outside looks nice, though IMO the interior looks a bit small, at least for playability's sake... not that most of us care about that factor. Beautiful little MOC, and gratz on getting front-paged.

One cannot be a former WOW player! You might not be playing it, but it is still in you! :laugh: Thanks! ) :classic:

Well, it's a constant dilemma for MOCers I guess, the parity between playability and design. Since I value general look much more than falling walls, obening hatches and things like that, I tend to focus on the shape and colors. Still, it's always great to see some playable MOCs around! :thumbup:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic: