Veynom

[MOC] The Cliff of Desert Wars

Instead of just presenting the 2023 edition of Desert Wars, I prefer writing a kind of retrospective about a specific element of our layout: the cliff, located inside the Imperial outpost. For those who still want to see the full layout, the below video is available (10m long last month but we went up to 11.3m last weekend already). 

52902411628_6f8c7e83bc.jpg
Desert Wars 2023 - April edition by Veynom, on Flickr

So, let's start by the beginning: why a cliff?
I had already been participating to multiple Lego exhibitions In Belgium since 2015 with Star Wars as theme. In 2017, I've had my first collaborative Star Wars layout using Tatooine as main theme. One detail that hit me back then was a characteristics shared by most of the Lego tables: they were quite "flat", sharing some similar heights, mainly driven by the displayed models and creations. Vehicles of the same scale are similar in heights, cities have 1 or 2 floors max (maybe 3 with modulars), and so on. Globally, these monotonous landscapes looked boring to me. (and this is only my personal opinion)

Based on the above impressions, I wanted to provide a small cliff to the layout that would later become Desert Wars. Initially, I had a triple goal in mind when starting it.

1. Providing some higher landscaping to please the visitors' eyes.
  2. Breaking the monotonous desert flat shape and omni-presence of tan as color. 
  3. Supplying a background for pictures taken by visitors. (In fact, I still consider having a Lego background behind MOCs is probably better than the beer belly of their creators behind the table)

As in 2018, I had considerably fewer bricks than today, I started the cliff by re-using parts of existing MOCs, like my old Scariff bunker attempt as seen below. A motorized radar (using a 12V motor) was quickly added on top of the cliff. The base idea was to re-use some metabricks. Today's, the radar still exist, with lights, and reaches 1m in height.
52902326260_05104ac2b0.jpg
Desert Wars 2018 - Cliff Evolution by Veynom, on Flickr

In 2019, the main idea was to integrate the train deeper into the layout and to have it go through the cliff. A 32x32 tunnel section was added, the cloff was rotated by 90 degrees, and an Imperial hangar was built on the other side. A Batman projector that layed on my workbench was slapped onto the tunnel top and it stayed there for 3 years.

Another improvement from 2019 was the upgrade to the standard MILS system. It clearly solidified our landscape (which is useful for assembling/disassembling/transport) while solving connectivity issues between participants. 
52901938241_bca930a093.jpg
Desert Wars 2019 - Cliff Evolution by Veynom, on Flickr

In 2020 and 2021, there was Covid. No Lego exhibition in sights but time for more MOCs. By the end of 2021, I had decided to include another of my old MOC into Desert Wars. This time, I wanted to include an Endor-like landing platform and connect it to the rest of the Imperial outpost and with the cliff. As the upgrade was a bit more sophisticated than usual, I made a very accurate and detail plan of what I had in mind. I'm sharing it below. :pir-yoda:
52901938196_c5d4b0ce92.jpg
Desert Wars 2021 - Cliff Evolution by Veynom, on Flickr

Construction could then start and ultimately, the bunker did not move.
52901367937_1d06c94595.jpg
Desert Wars 2022 - Cliff Evolution by Veynom, on Flickr

The first row of the cliff was also enlarged by reusing part of the FLAK section from the original cliff.
51965523212_b1b60742a6.jpg
Cliff module - section 1 by Veynom, on Flickr

In the end, it was a good start...
52872271333_45e0800eaa.jpg
The cliff of Desert Wars 2022 by Veynom, on Flickr

52536768392_e0078d6b84.jpg
Desert Wars 2022 by Veynom, on Flickr

However, like righteously commented Xavier (Vice-champion LegoMaster S1 - France), the cliff really looked rachitic when seen from the side. He advised me to make it larger by 16 studs.. Believe me, when a a Legomaster friend suggest you something, you just shut it up, nods, and go back to your bricks. :vader:

52901367962_a0ffd2763d.jpg
Desert Wars 2023 - Cliff Evolution by Veynom, on Flickr

This 16-stud enlargement upgrade was also a good occasion to improve on some details that were a bit neglected and to reinforce the underlying structure which was very fragile at first. Now, it is respecting the "Duplo Inside" concept. Among the other improvements, I can list in no particular order: exhaust vents, various detectors of all kinds, antennas .... The alignment with the hangar corridor was adjusted, with a door opened on an inside battle.
52799774638_9e634dac26.jpg
Light in the Dark by Veynom, on Flickr

A small turbolaser turret was also added, on the hangar side.
52842192672_ba75ca2a27.jpg
Turbolaser Turret by Veynom, on Flickr

The Batman projector was upgraded (and permanent light added).
52809000961_dabdd7cde9.jpg
Light projector roof area by Veynom, on Flickr

The front of the cliff was also modified to include a small MOC built by my son. I made it fit under one of the landing platform supporting pillars. It helps to modify the global shape of the background while offering more details to the eye.
52809450408_bca2b32d54.jpg
Bunker entrance by Veynom, on Flickr

And so here is the current situation ... until the next upgrade. :head_back:
52872272178_e92b5c1bef.jpg
The cliff of Desert Wars 2023 by Veynom, on Flickr

52872215125_44e1c9976c.jpg

52871832116_43ef74245e.jpg

52872215040_522295e815.jpg

52871254577_6d800caff7.jpg

So what about these future upgrades? 
At the moment, lights are being added. The radar was the first one. The tunnel has just been completed for ComicCon Brussels. More ideas about the evolution of the platform and the last row with the train are also in the pipe. Ideas are not limited. Bricks can be sourced but transport is becoming an issue ... I need a bigger car (or a truck ;) )

This is it for today. I hope you enjoyed this type of post. It covers 5 years of evolution of a MOC, which is itself just a small part of our Desert Wars collaborative layout. For the record, our layout is blessed by the Force. Last year, Paul Blake (Greedo) visited us at Ch'tar Wars in France. Last week-end, we were lucky to be visited by Giancarlo Esposito (Moff Gideon) and Tait Fletcher (Paz Visla). Luckily, we had minifigs of each of them on our layout... Can't wait for the next ones....

Comments welcome!
Thanks for reading!

Edited by Veynom