ChemicalWorld

UCS X-Wing 2023 - Mods

Starting to think about modding this set.  @JabbaTheHatt replaced the artoo minifig with an led key chain version that has a 3 stud diameter dome (I think); does anyone know if other iterations of R2-D2 key chains are the same size as the led ones?  Specifically, the version that has a part number of 853470?  I can't seem to find any information about the size of this particular variant.  Also, how difficult is it to remove the metal bit that connects the chain to the top of the head?

5 hours ago, Neophyte_brickie said:

Starting to think about modding this set.  @JabbaTheHatt replaced the artoo minifig with an led key chain version that has a 3 stud diameter dome (I think); does anyone know if other iterations of R2-D2 key chains are the same size as the led ones?  Specifically, the version that has a part number of 853470?  I can't seem to find any information about the size of this particular variant.  Also, how difficult is it to remove the metal bit that connects the chain to the top of the head?

I have removed several chains to get the minifigure, and did the opposite process to convert a minifigure in a keychain. I use the tip of a soldering iron to heat the metal until it slides out with little force. Once cool the plastic is not harmed. I'm not familiar with that led R2-D2 keychain, but if the metal piece used is the same I'm pretty sure you can apply the same process.