Recommended Posts

I think this set looks absolutely terrible. Its not accurate to the real machine at all, i dont expect it to be an exact scale model but i do expect it to somewhat resemble the real life machine like the D11 and the R9800 did. For $700 and a year delay i was hoping for the best technic flagship set yet and instead we got this. For this to be modded to something more accurate would be a massive undertaking, for starters i would double the with of the tracks and buy as many boom segments as i could. That alone would cost a considerable amount. After looking at the pictures the set simply looks unfinished as well , the 1 hub looks to be just sticking out the back and not hidden at all , motor cables running everywhere and it seems parts of the crane are not even the right color , with the track frame base having a mix of yellow and grey when it should only be gray , also the over all shape of the tracks is wrong. If there is a huge sale on this set i might get it , but what are your thoughts ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Have I missed something?  This is just a guess right?  I have not found anything that confirms this... 

I agree with others.  Kinda doubtful this is all ABS if there are no pinholes

Also, I do not have enough experience here, but does anyone know the typical timeframe in which new elements are released on Pick a Brick after a new set has been released? 

This info comes from Stonewars and their sources that have been to the toy fair in Nürnberg. You can also see from the video that the parts are made of lbg ABS and I even calculated the weight based on a solid part of that size. If you take out the 4 cutouts (1x1x1) on the sides you will get exactly the weight that is written on lego.com (38g).
ElCJl62.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

That is one limited-use part.

***TC30 - use the counterweight piece for anything but a counterweight contest*** 😂

Edited by aminnich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

This info comes from Stonewars and their sources that have been to the toy fair in Nürnberg. You can also see from the video that the parts are made of lbg ABS and I even calculated the weight based on a solid part of that size. If you take out the 4 cutouts (1x1x1) on the sides you will get exactly the weight that is written on lego.com (38g).
 

Thxs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That counterweight is confusing — if it’s solid plastic, it must not be regular ABS because that would shrink and warp in the mold. Guess we will have to wait. If it is solid plastic, it is a shame they did not add pin holes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

879,900 KRW in korea. Considering the exchange rate, it came out cheaper than other countries, but it is still very expensive for Lego (especially less than 3000 parts!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple functions don't match the high price,it is a toy although it is big. I will save  that for a new digital piano.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After observing all these hi-res pics it comes that purchasing all new parts without buying a whole set would coust half price or even more even if you have all PU at home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Aleh said:

After observing all these hi-res pics it comes that purchasing all new parts without buying a whole set would coust half price or even more even if you have all PU at home. 

This is what I often think about expensive sets. As you pointed out, the price tag is now reaching a limit that makes cheaper to just buy the extra pieces and build it by your own. 

One year ago, when the where retiring the 42100, I just got a second one (second hand) just for the pieces and electronics. That set is indeed known to be among the best (if not the best) in terms of electronic's costs. 

For me, the set looks interesting and I would love to build it, but the price is completely out of my limits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

That counterweight is confusing — if it’s solid plastic, it must not be regular ABS because that would shrink and warp in the mold. Guess we will have to wait. If it is solid plastic, it is a shame they did not add pin holes.

There are rare multiple ways to compensate for shrinkage and warping during and just after the injection molding process, even for thick-walled components. However, these measures increase the production time (and thus the cost) per part significantly.

On the other hand, it appears that TLG has made the decision to excluded metal parts (like hooks) years ago and obviously TLG is very experienced in the finesses of injection molding, just look and the increase of dual molded parts recently. Therefore, it is very likely that these weights are solid ABS parts. I wouldn't be surprised if the underside of these parts are very uneven and bear major shrinkage marks. I agree that it is a pity that these parts lack any way to interface with other parts, they look like Playmobil parts. This might be a consequence of the fact that they are solid. The accuracy required for a pin hole might not be feasible due to the aforementioned shrinkage.

As for the set itself, I agree with many others here: The representation is not accurate enough for my taste, I (still) don’t care for RC in general and for Control+ in particular and I can think of dozens of other ways to spend 700 which give me more joy that this thing ever could. But I have no doubts that it will sell anyway because of the sensational value and the new parts which will appear on Bricklink very soon after launch. Do not underestimate how well TLG knows its market; they know big licensed sets sell well. It is time to face the fact that we, children of the eighties, are not the most important target audience for new Technic set anymore.

Edited by Cumulonimbus
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, msk6003 said:

879,900 KRW in korea. Considering the exchange rate, it came out cheaper than other countries, but it is still very expensive for Lego (especially less than 3000 parts!).

If there ever was a set to not judge by part count, but rather by weight, this would be it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the new lattice frame looks like 7x19, would it be cheaper to just order 3x19 frames for twice of its amount of and slap them together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£579.99................ I've always been a supporter of TLG and think generally they do an amazing job.

But they can shove this right up their a...... they must think we're idiots trying to charge this utterly ridiculous amount of money. Its borderline insulting. The marketing department at TLG HQ must be detached from reality, too many focus groups, soya latte's and blue shoelaces.

I want TLG to thrive and succeed, but this strategy of treating loyal fans like dumb cash-cows to be milked dry has irritated me. 

My 80k pieces will keep me moc-ing for the rest of my days. They may find they've shot their golden goose with this ill-conceived pricing plan. 

I would love hear them justify this with facts, not marketing BS and waffle, hard facts. They're fools.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Since the new lattice frame looks like 7x19, would it be cheaper to just order 3x19 frames for twice of its amount of and slap them together?

But then you need to add pins and beams to achieve the same dimension, it will look worse and the strength will be also weaker. Maybe you'll end up with the same cost as just the lattice element in the end.

Here's a quick CAD recreation of the weight element. If it's made of a denser plastic material than ABS, then it doesn't need to be solid. I agree that 8mm wall thickness is not recommended.
tWAZsJT.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

If there ever was a set to not judge by part count, but rather by weight, this would be it.  

That's what I've been wondering... Even though it's only ~3k pieces, all the plastic in those lattices suuuurely has to weigh a fair bit, right?? I wouldn't be surprised if this thing actually ends up weighing significantly more than the 42100. Still don't like the $1050AUD price tag though, and I totally would've preferred a dumb PU model with gearboxes. Given inflation I could maybe see this being $900AUD, but definitely not $1050.

Gotta say, I do like how they've done the load sensor, pretty clever

Edited by Bartybum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

 Do not underestimate how well TLG knows its market; they know big licensed sets sell well. It is time to face the fact that we, children of the eighties, are not the most important target audience for new Technic set anymore. 

I disagree, 80s kids would be the only ones able to afford these sets, spending for their own hobby. No current kid can afford it, no parent in their right mind would spend 700 dollars on a toy for their kid, which they would break and then get bored of.

Edited by johnnytifosi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

That's what I've been wondering... Even though it's only ~3k pieces, all the plastic in those lattices suuuurely has to weigh a fair bit, right?? I wouldn't be surprised if this thing actually ends up weighing significantly more than the 42100. Still don't like the $1050AUD price tag though, and I totally would've preferred a dumb PU model with gearboxes. Given inflation I could maybe see this being $900AUD, but definitely not $1050.

Gotta say, I do like how they've done the load sensor, pretty clever

The set weight is 8.76kg according to amazon (compared to 42100 6.45kg or 42131 6kg). So yes, it's the heaviest and most expensive Technic set to date. A manual version of this set would not have the electronic load sensing and therefore have a higher risk of tipping over during play, something that TLG probably didn't want to risk. Global toy safety regulations are very strict when it comes to risk of harm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

The set weight is 8.76kg according to amazon (compared to 42100 6.45kg or 42131 6kg). So yes, it's the heaviest and most expensive Technic set to date. A manual version of this set would not have the electronic load sensing and therefore have a higher risk of tipping over during play, something that TLG probably didn't want to risk. Global toy safety regulations are very strict when it comes to risk of harm.

If those weight figures are correct, then even without the 900g of counterweights it still weighs 20% more... I think I'm beginning to actually understand how the RRP can be so high...

Still a shame, shouldn't have been an RC model :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Edited by Bartybum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bartybum said:

If those weight figures are correct, then even without the 900g of counterweights it weighs 20% more... I think I'm beginning to actually understand how the RRP can be so high...

...or the instruction manual is telephone book sized :pir-laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member