MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

It does seem like their hands were tied by their own colour palette. The printing and mould colour palette are one and the same, and dark green is LEGO's darkest green. It's the best match for Boba's repainted armour, and in the show his chest armour and helmet are clearly the same colour, but if LEGO went with dark green for the helmet then they would have had to use black for the cheeks. Even regular green would have been too bright for the armour and helmet.

 The two things some of these have in common with what customs tend to do are continue printing from the torso over the hips, and arm printing. However, the majority of these figures still lack enough crazy minute printing and other features to seem like customs to me!

Even if I don't get many of these sets, this year is feeling as exciting as 2011 to me. That year had so much good Star Wars stuff - new characters and moulds, great updates to characters, some new ships and properly redone one. That was a great year.

Additional detailing (e.g. continuous torso-to-hip printing) is definitely part of it, but that's not all. Take a look at the previous iteration of Boba's torso vs. this 2021 version. Something about the lines/shading/drawing seems typical online-graphic-artist vs. traditional-TLG-minifigure-style to me.

 

7 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Yeah I pointed out in a previous post that the dark green of his "cheeks" would be a problem if they molded the helmet in the appropriate dark green. Even though regular green is too bright, it's still darker than sand green and I think would have been a better compromise than to do what they did and split the difference.

Aha good on you for thinking of that sooner. Agreed, regular green seems like the best compromise but - if that's all it is - I can sort of see why they'd say it's not worth making that helmet in a new color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think leaving the helmet in sand-green was the best option. While it’s not 100% accurate, at least they updated its printing :purrr:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, SuperSith said:

Does anyone think the Lego Con Star Wars set reveal might be the 150th Brickhead(z)? The most recent Brickheadz set, the Ninjago pack, ended on 148. (FYI, the Lego Con SW set reveal is just one set). It would make sense to have a fan-voted set be revealed at a fan event.

The gunship is also a fan-voted set, though. You do bring up a good point, but I hope that lego has enough common sense to realize that revealing a brickheadz as the "exclusive set" would be a huge letdown.

5 hours ago, Darth Malgus said:

A lot of people are didn't MandR run a campaign for Jar Jar? 

Yup. The gunship wasn't as aggravating, as while he was influencing the vote it conceivably could have won on it's own, and is a set many people actually wanted. The Jar Jar thing was just him blatantly using his influence to get a set of quite possibly the least popular star wars character ever made. It honestly comes off as him just seeing if he can influence enough votes to get a joke suggestion as a set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I bet that since lego could control the actual character they picked, they would go with R2 and C3P0. We’ve never seen them before , they’ve been in every Star Wars movie, and we have never had them in Brickheads before, have we? I won’t be getting this, I don’t get brickheads, but I think these two make the most sense. Then again, that’s just a guess.

Edited by Brickroll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may not be accurate but I think the Armorer would look great with any of the brown or gold shoulder accessories. Notably there's the piece Wu used last year. I think her show appearance is a bit messy anyway. I'll probably put the helmet on some golden figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better pics of Bo doing the rounds now - they're coming thick and fast. I can see what they were going for with the hair but it doesn't do it for me. The rest of the fig looks great though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I looked closer at some set pics and it looks like we still aren’t getting a Din head print :hmpf_bad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Brickroll said:

I bet that since lego could control the actual character they picked, they would go with R2 and C3P0. We’ve never seen them before , they’ve been in every Star Wars movie, and we have never had them in Brickheads before, have we? I won’t be getting this, I don’t get brickheads, but I think these two make the most sense. Then again, that’s just a guess.

I honestly was kind of disappointed that they didn't do something "Lego-y" for the 150th Brickhead.  Like, I get they wanted the fans to vote, but two of the licenses were pre-existing ones and two were new (Jaws is new, Stitch had one CMF figure and that was literally it).  Personally, I would've been most interested in either Jaws or Stitch, but I feel like they should've either gone with all four being new licenses, or do no licensed ones at all and have the vote be between something like a Classic Spaceman, Mr. Gold, Pepper Roni, and Johnny Thunder, or just some collection of classic Lego characters.  That feels more celebratory of 150 Brickheadz to me than just a random licensed character who doesn't really have anything to do with Lego as a company.

That said, I hope that isn't what the reveal is, and I also hope it's not Jar Jar, because that's not really very celebration-y at all to me.

Edited by Kit Figsto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pedilego said:

Additional detailing (e.g. continuous torso-to-hip printing) is definitely part of it, but that's not all. Take a look at the previous iteration of Boba's torso vs. this 2021 version. Something about the lines/shading/drawing seems typical online-graphic-artist vs. traditional-TLG-minifigure-style to me.

 

Aha good on you for thinking of that sooner. Agreed, regular green seems like the best compromise but - if that's all it is - I can sort of see why they'd say it's not worth making that helmet in a new color.

They wouldn't be making it in a new color though because we already got one in the Mandalorian bp.

I love the sound of the new Boba face print, I look forward to seeing it.

Edited by ToaDraco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, hondohnaka said:

So I looked closer at some set pics and it looks like we still aren’t getting a Din head print :hmpf_bad:

It's difficult to say, at this point we haven't got that many pictures of the cruiser set. Face feature may reveal itself only on the back of the box :wink: I hope that would be the case because Din's face is essential for the scene on the bridge! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it seems the Bo-Katan minifig is dbg and normal blue instead of gun metal and dark blue like the pictures appeared to be. It still looks good but I'm a bit disappointed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, AIex said:

it seems the Bo-Katan minifig is dbg and normal blue instead of gun metal and dark blue like the pictures appeared to be. It still looks good but I'm a bit disappointed

Looks dark azure to me - but then again the lightning makes the difference. In promo pictures the blue always looked like the same as the ship to me (standard blue).

And in TLG's defense.. colour's are also defined by the licence owner plus Bo's armor looks quite bland - except for the helmet in "reality".

the lighter silver on Mando (most here prefere it anyway I think) surely "pops" more on the dark brown while gun metal grey would have looked good on black. Gun metal grey would have worked better for Bo's base suit

Edited by Kim-Kwang-Seok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t care about Brickheadz but I think it would be hilarious if it wasn’t Jar Jar because of the sheer amount of screeching that would create :grin: 

Someone brought up earlier that Saxon’s horns might be rubber and I think that’s highly likely. Lego historically makes projecting parts out of rubber to prevent them from snapping off, and these in particular as part of a piece that regularly will be taken on and off would benefit. Also, it looks like it’s a different material on the pictures but that’s just me. I hope it’s plastic for the uniformity and I wish they’d done…anything…different for the Armorer, but it isn’t terrible either way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaceWindu said:

It's difficult to say, at this point we haven't got that many pictures of the cruiser set. Face feature may reveal itself only on the back of the box :wink: I hope that would be the case because Din's face is essential for the scene on the bridge! 

I'm like 99% he doesn't have one in the other sets so I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would really great if he did. It just seems like a bit of an oversight for him to not get a face print when Din taking off his helmet was such a big moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, hondohnaka said:

I don’t care about Brickheadz but I think it would be hilarious if it wasn’t Jar Jar because of the sheer amount of screeching that would create :grin: 

Someone brought up earlier that Saxon’s horns might be rubber and I think that’s highly likely. Lego historically makes projecting parts out of rubber to prevent them from snapping off, and these in particular as part of a piece that regularly will be taken on and off would benefit. Also, it looks like it’s a different material on the pictures but that’s just me. I hope it’s plastic for the uniformity and I wish they’d done…anything…different for the Armorer, but it isn’t terrible either way.

can you explain this jar-jar phenomenon to me? I only follow this thread more since short time, I consider myself traumatised from the prequels (great designs though) and I don't know much about brickheads?

So there was a campaign or something? And there is a jar-jar leader/cultist or what? I just saw the gunship vote
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brickroll said:

I bet that since lego could control the actual character they picked, they would go with R2 and C3P0. We’ve never seen them before , they’ve been in every Star Wars movie, and we have never had them in Brickheads before, have we? I won’t be getting this, I don’t get brickheads, but I think these two make the most sense. Then again, that’s just a guess.

You're right, I guess technically they do have final control. Usually I'd find it kind of sketchy if they didn't go with the winning option, but at this point I think the lego fan votes are essentially "which lego youtuber has the least morals and most subscribers", so it's not like it's what most people actually want anyway. (Actually that's not even just a lego thing, I believe minecraft had a similar problem last year)

1 hour ago, hondohnaka said:

So I looked closer at some set pics and it looks like we still aren’t getting a Din head print :hmpf_bad:

Meh, it's been 6 months or so since we saw his face (at least, his face without being covered in blood), so it's understandable lego hasn't done a print yet. I'm guessing we'll see his face by mando S3...which supposedly isn't even filming until 2022... :(

1 hour ago, MaceWindu said:

It's difficult to say, at this point we haven't got that many pictures of the cruiser set. Face feature may reveal itself only on the back of the box :wink: I hope that would be the case because Din's face is essential for the scene on the bridge! 

Actually we can tell based off the images as you can see his head is black. I haven't personally looked that closely at the figures there, but @hondohnaka seems to have.

Just now, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

can you explain this jar-jar phenomenon to me? I only follow this thread more since short time, I consider myself traumatised from the prequels (great designs though) and I don't know much about brickheads?

So there was a campaign or something? And there is a jar-jar leader/cultist or what? I just saw the gunship vote
 

Yeah, so MandR (guy behind the 501st campaign and someone who likely exerted a lot of influence on the gunship vote), decided that he wanted people to write-in votes for Jar Jar in the brickheadz vote. Honestly feels to me like he just wants to see how much influence he can exert, as you'd think he'd rather have something like a 501st trooper, and jar jar is possibly the most hated character in star wars.

Actually you've got to feel bad for lego, they literally made a set because he got people to ask for it, and he responds by relentlessly trashing them, influencing their votes for..jar jar... and making a fake "interview" that just mocks designers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah, so MandR (guy behind the 501st campaign and someone who likely exerted a lot of influence on the gunship vote), decided that he wanted people to write-in votes for Jar Jar in the brickheadz vote. Honestly feels to me like he just wants to see how much influence he can exert, as you'd think he'd rather have something like a 501st trooper, and jar jar is possibly the most hated character in star wars.

Actually you've got to feel bad for lego, they literally made a set because he got people to ask for it, and he responds by relentlessly trashing them, influencing their votes for..jar jar... and making a fake "interview" that just mocks designers.

Why is it that so many people in this forum dislike Mandr. I know he acts really childish and complains but at the same time, a lot of the things he's said and campaigned for are things the majority of the community wanted: 501st BP and Gunship/More Prequel UCS. The Jar Jar stuff is stupid and definitely him screwing with the designers but it's those same designers who don't really listen to fan demand and cheap out on minifigs like in last year's summer wave and this years gunship (idgaf about Cody but the P1 pilot missing is a huge blunder). I don't like that multi-billion-dollar corpos make bare minimum products while charging premium prices and then I see fans say "be happy with what you have." They don't owe us anything but the bare minimum is accuracy and they've missed on that front lately too. 

All in all, Mandr might be an idiot and the definition of a petty child but his points still stand and a lot of the people who attack him don't seem to understand that. I know it's played out by him but "only the best is good enough" is their slogan yet doesn't seem to apply to how TLG makes their products. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

(Actually that's not even just a lego thing, I believe minecraft had a similar problem last year)

Well, that would explain how phantoms were voted into the game :tongue: I doubt people would've done something that boneheaded without influencers egging them on.

This whole situation is really just annoying. I'd rather we not get to vote on sets instead of having votes being hijacked by a mob that doesn't even care about the final product anyway. That said, I wouldn't mind if TLG released a Jar-Jar Brickhead in the future, but not as the 150th one. I don't want a certain someone to get the satisfaction :tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Better pics of Bo doing the rounds now - they're coming thick and fast. I can see what they were going for with the hair but it doesn't do it for me. The rest of the fig looks great though.

Yeah - the hair is really wrong. Her headband thing covers the front of her hair, not the other way around with her hair covering over her headband. Just like Ahsoka's head goes forehead, headband, lekku - not forhead, lekku start, dinky headband print, lekku continue.

9 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Why is it that so many people in this forum dislike Mandr. I know he acts really childish and complains... 

All in all, Mandr might be an idiot and the definition of a petty child...

You said yourself why (though he is not an "idiot" and I think it's more the complaining and pettiness that bother people).

Just a reminder to everyone that Mandr is on this forum and interacts here sometimes. Bear in mind he's a person too - not some celebrity in Hollywood you're never going to interact with (though they too are people). What actually irks me more than simply his own complaints and trolling is that his fanbase takes those complaints and goes and parrots them everywhere like on IG, etc. But he would know that, and is influencing them to do that, and thereby bears some of the responsibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Why is it that so many people in this forum dislike Mandr. I know he acts really childish and complains but at the same time,

In my opinion, you've answered your own question right here. :laugh: Doesn't matter if his points are valid, his constant whining as well as stuff like the jar jar campaign and fake interviews make people inclined not to listen to him. It's sort of like if a guy walks into a pub and starts screaming and moaning about murder being bad. You probably agree with his larger point, but the way he conducts himself and how he goes about making those points are obnoxious. Plus, he complains about EVERYTHING, which makes the valid complaints diluted.

 

(edited after @Clone OPatra reminded us that he's on the forum): If you do see this MandR, like I said, you do have some valid points. If you're looking to improve your image on the forum, I'd just suggest maybe going about those points in a more polite way, sort of like Jangbricks, and maybe backing off on influencing the fan votes.

25 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Well, that would explain how phantoms were voted into the game :tongue: I doubt people would've done something that boneheaded without influencers egging them on.

This whole situation is really just annoying. I'd rather we not get to vote on sets instead of having votes being hijacked by a mob that doesn't even care about the final product anyway. That said, I wouldn't mind if TLG released a Jar-Jar Brickhead in the future, but not as the 150th one. I don't want a certain someone to get the satisfaction :tongue:

I was thinking more glow squids being the sole product of "Dream"'s fans, but yeah phantoms are there too. I didn't pay much attention to minecraft at the time but from what I've heard people actually though phantoms were a good idea :ugh:.

Yeah, the fan votes are so influenced by stuff like this that it's almost better they just not exist. The backlash to the gunship being rumored to only have 2 figures is proof enough of that (plus you can find a fair amount of comments even here from people who say they never planned on buying the gunship and only voted because it was prequel).

26 minutes ago, avengers777 said:

Boba's head leaked. It looks pretty good! 

It really does! I might be late to the party on this part, but I just saw Crosshair's as well, looks great. Between this, The entire batch, and Bo-katan, I'm impressed, they've really stepped up their quality on this. not too long ago they all would have been angry clone...

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TobyAis said:

Am I the only one who think he shouldn't have eyebrows? They prob gave him eyebrows because it would've look too weird or ugly without but still..

Fair point, the sarlacc took those...it would be interesting to see what they look like without some. 

I'm curious of better images on how they did the pale scars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Fair point, the sarlacc took those...it would be interesting to see what they look like without some. 

I'm curious of better images on how they did the pale scars. 

I think, it would look similar to burned Anakin's.. Am I even allowed to show this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.