Sign in to follow this  
PCBHfan

Mandala type thing

I’d like to have a go at making a sort of mandala out of LEGO but maybe square rather than a circle , just easy ones to start with using pics, used for colouring, I’ve found online as guides.  I don’t have a lot of LEGO yet so can anyone recommend what types of LEGO would be best?  Tiles or blocks...maybe a mixture? 

Are you basically talking about building a mosaic?

There are different approaches. 

You can build on the flat, for example one layer of bricks on a base plate. At the finest level of detail you would use 1x1 flat pieces or tiles. You would need a lot of them and you end up with a very pixelated picture. Like the official Lego mosaics. The advantage is that your picture can be symmetrical in every direction.

I like to build on the side. It can't be symmetrical both ways, but it gives you a smooth surface for fewer bricks. With any approach, you can also put solid objects on top for variation. In your case you could arrange dishes or rods symmetrically.

Other approaches use triangular bricks on their side, like the popular 'cracked floors' you see people doing here in MOCs.

Yes, that type of thing but without building a picture as that’s a bit complicated for me.  Great suggestion to use tiles and flat pieces.  Thanks for your help.

I found an app that turn pictures into LEGO mosaics and list all the parts you need.  So I’ll give that a try instead of mandalas.