Brandon Pea

Lego Island and Lego City are the same place?

Hello Eurobricks! Pooda here. I'm in a good mood this morning so I thought I'd bring up a theory about my favorite Lego game of all time (Nay! My favorite PC Game of all time). 

LEGO ISLAND!!!!!!!

This theory is basically that LEGO City is actually LEGO Island in the present day. For some reason, every time I look back at older City sets (that being ones from 2005-2009) and even recent ones, I tend to see characters that bare a blatant resemblance to characters from the Lego Island saga......and its not just in Lego City. I mean.......doesn't one of these guys look familiar to you?  I know! I know! The guy in the picture is named Ronny. Sounds like Pepper's real name to me. I even see references in other sets too. Like Nubby Stevens making an appearance in the 7638 Tow Truck from 2009Nick Brick, Laura Brick and the Brickster in 60047? Then there is the farmer from the harvester set for 2019 who bares a striking resemblance to Red Greenbase. That's just the tip of the ice berk. If I were to give all the possible examples I know of, we'd be here until summer. But I think Lego is deliberately doing this to play with our minds. We also know that throughout time, Lego Island evolved and became a much more diverse place with cities and everything (judging from the various cutscenes throughout the video games). Lego Island obviously became too diverse so the Infomaniac decided to rename Lego Island to what we now know as Lego City. 

Unfortunately, this theory could also be debunked pretty easily. Lego town sets came long before Lego Island was made in 1997. But as Lego's first open world video game, it certainly made a huge impact on town fans, thus why that remains the most popular theme under Lego to this very day. Perhaps Lego wanted to continue that success and decided to base some of the minifigures off of Lego Island characters. 

But I love this theory and its kind fun to overthink a little. Sound off in the forum. 

10 minutes ago, Bornin1980something said:

I've always assumed that City is the same reality as classic Town in the present day, and that the country is still called Legoland!

Lego City, Legoland. Why does that sound like it works? 

I used to call the country, Legonia! With Lego City being its capital. 

That Lego Island game was amazing as a kid. Fond memories.

I think that yeah it was essentially Lego City/Town but set on an island so as to restrict the size of the game world due to hardware limitations of the time. A lot of the stuff in the game was clearly inspired by the System Town sets of the same time, like the Pizza to Go set released a year prior to the game and recurring Town/City subject matter like coast guard, police, racing, hospital and Octan all present in the game.

Lego-island.jpg

3 hours ago, koalayummies said:

That Lego Island game was amazing as a kid. Fond memories.

Yes Sir! The 1st one was awesome. The 2nd one was kinda neh though. Island Xtreme Stunts wasn't too bad. 

3 hours ago, koalayummies said:

I think that yeah it was essentially Lego City/Town but set on an island so as to restrict the size of the game world due to hardware limitations of the time. A lot of the stuff in the game was clearly inspired by the System Town sets of the same time, like the Pizza to Go set released a year prior to the game and recurring Town/City subject matter like coast guard, police, racing, hospital and Octan all present in the game.

RIGHT!?! Its the same place. People want a revival of Lego Island, but we've been actually getting it since 2006. 

13 hours ago, pooda said:

Sorry, I just haven't any nostalgia for the LEGO Island videogames since I didn't grow-up with them, not to mention that I also really don't get that much into the whole interconnected worldbuilding of Lego playthemes and the speculative discussion of such. :def_shrug:

It's a conspiracy theory!!! haha

my nephew and i played lego island a lot together. Good times, even better memories

i do not think everything is connected though :roflmao:

Posted (edited)

I did play LEGO Island and LEGO Creator on PC when they were current, and also LEGO Racers on the Nintendo 64.

I didn't have the infomaniac minifigure of LEGO island, not all boxed versions had it included.

But I did get Biker Bob with the Creator game.

But I never played the sequels, like LEGO Island 2 , or Island Xtreme Stunts, both came out at the start of my no-LEGO period which started after 2000.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

But I never played the sequels, like LEGO Island 2 , or Island Xtreme Stunts, both came out at the start of my no-LEGO period which started after 2000.

You didn't miss anything with LI2. Lego Island 2 was boring as hell. You could only play as Pepper and you could hardly go in any of the buildings. Even after the game was over, this was still the case. I'm empathetic, but Lego Media could've done better with that one. 

Never played the game, but checked out some videos. It seems likely I suppose. It could also be that they just threw sets of the time in the game. But hey, it’s a fun theory that could work. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Never played the game, but checked out some videos. It seems likely I suppose. It could also be that they just threw sets of the time in the game. But hey, it’s a fun theory that could work. 

Yeah! I did debunk my own theory in the second paragraph. Might as well do it before someone else does. :laugh:

Edited by pooda

5 hours ago, pooda said:

Yeah! I did debunk my own theory in the second paragraph. Might as well do it before someone else does. :laugh:

One thing that also supports it, the newer video games, namely the one with Chase McCain (not sure if there's been any others, to be honest) seem to portray LEGO City as an island as well, though it is considerably bigger than LEGO Island.  Perhaps the Infomaniac was able to get a better processor for the city, or he increased the RAM :grin:

3 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

One thing that also supports it, the newer video games, namely the one with Chase McCain (not sure if there's been any others, to be honest) seem to portray LEGO City as an island as well, though it is considerably bigger than LEGO Island.  Perhaps the Infomaniac was able to get a better processor for the city, or he increased the RAM :grin:

True. :laugh:

Even in the mini movies, its seen as an island.