Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Just some educated guesses on when we could get a diagon alley reveal, the privet drive sticker sheet leaked 6 days before the sets were revealed. If diagon alley followed the same pattern (big if I know) then the reveal would be on Wednesday the 12th. I believe our first pair of leaked figures from a set this year was Bellatrix and fenrir, they leaked 36(!) Days before the set reveal. The harry and florean figures leaked around July 14/15 and 36 days from those dates would be August 19/20. Both the 12th and 19th are Wednesdays. It may not matter much but the d2c hogwarts castle was revealed on a Wednesday. I'd apologize for the long post but we're near 500 pages :) also good chance my guesses are wrong so take it with a grain of salt :) 

35 minutes ago, Nick unassembled said:

Just some educated guesses on when we could get a diagon alley reveal, the privet drive sticker sheet leaked 6 days before the sets were revealed. If diagon alley followed the same pattern (big if I know) then the reveal would be on Wednesday the 12th. I believe our first pair of leaked figures from a set this year was Bellatrix and fenrir, they leaked 36(!) Days before the set reveal. The harry and florean figures leaked around July 14/15 and 36 days from those dates would be August 19/20. Both the 12th and 19th are Wednesdays. It may not matter much but the d2c hogwarts castle was revealed on a Wednesday. I'd apologize for the long post but we're near 500 pages :) also good chance my guesses are wrong so take it with a grain of salt :) 

You might not be too far off I think! Next week seems pretty plausible to me. :classic:

13 hours ago, bluedog1111 said:

There may be a possibility that there are more sticker sheets possibly with Gringotts and the leaky cauldron sign included.

Definitely :shrug_oh_well:

13 hours ago, Metanoios91 said:

I think the Gringotts logo might be a print

Yes, but what about the rest of the stickers from Gringotts :sceptic:

3 hours ago, Seaber said:

So, the list of confirmed shop fronts is Ollivanders, Scribbulus, QQS, WWW, Daily Prophet Offices, Flourish and Blotts with Fortescue's and Leaky Cauldron stickers, but no signs for either. 

A list (of so) far missing shops:

Gringotts 

Madam Malkins Robes for All Occasions

Eeylops Owl Imporium 

Magical Menagerie

Potages Cauldrons

Mr Mulpepper Apothecary

Slugg and Jiggers Apothecary

Wiseacres Wizarding Equipment

As well as Gambol and Japes Joke Shop, Sugarplum's Sweet Shop, Cranville Quincy's Magical Junk Shop, Broomstix and the 2nd Hand book shop, which are all off the main Alley between LC and Gringotts, or are similar to other more important shops. 

As I have suggested earlier, maybe it is possible to choose which shop to build and put on stickers for your choice :def_shrug:

1 hour ago, Nina said:

Slightly sad though that no references to owls and other animals are included--if the emporium is missing it would be nice if there were at least some cages and signs coming with DA (the way they handled this in 2011). If that's not the case hopefully they include some animals in the street life.

I agree if  Scribulus and the Daily Prophet is included I expect at least one of the pet-shops to be included *huh*

I do not think I ever have been this excited for Lego stickers before :tongue:
However something is off here!
It depends of course on the name of the set, but if they do not include Gringotts just to make a set next year  that cost 100 $, why not just include it and rise the price to 500$?

Options:

• Gringotts is not included (sound strange to me)
  • There are more stickers sheets with several shops (maybe, how many sticker did the last D2C have?)
  • Gringotts is printed (likely, but where are the rest of the stickers for it?)

Gringotts, Madam Malkins Robes for All Occasions, Eeylops Owl Imporium, Magical Menagerie are all more well known than Scribulus and the Daily Prophet so something is not adding up here..

Anyway it looks like we are getting a lot of shops and that makes me happy :grin_wub:

There are 7 stickers on sheet A that I can't definitively assign to a specific store:

- 1 and 2: the three pieces of parchment (probably Scribbulus)

- 3: the brass cash register. Could be anywhere but there is one on Ollivander's desk.

- 9: the patched upholstery. Again could be anywhere but the Leaky Cauldron has leather upholstered seats, this looks more like it will fit on a bench or something.

- 11: the two signs? I can't make this out, pretty sure "Galleon" is the top word, the next bit could be "fire whisky" but I don't think so. I suspect this will be another sign overhanging the street (as we have a front and back).

Unfortunately, I don't think any of these necessarily point to the Leaky Cauldron or Gringotts being included.

In terms of overall structure I would guess it might be similar to the old chamber of secrets set, with two halves of the street fronts folded together to make the narrow alley but can be unfolded to display all of the store fronts in a row.

7 minutes ago, Roebuck said:
  • There are more stickers sheets with several shops (maybe, how many sticker did the last D2C have?)

This has got me thinking.  The D2C Hogwarts had 4 sticker sheets, with some several times larger than the ones we have seen.  So there could well be more yet, however the microfigure scale means that stickers need to be used instead of minifig scale props etc.  Unless of course Diagon Alley is microscale... (kidding).

Scribbulus and the Daily Prophet do seem strange inclusions although the Daily Prophet office is literally just a door so doesn't really count as a full shop. Maybe we will get more!

In any case, the detail and obscurity of the stickers and minifigs leaked so far are an assurance that the set is in good hands.  Well researched with the fans in mind, I don't think we'll be disappointed.

I believe we have seen all the sticker sheets and there is no Gringotts in the set. As others have said, the Leaky Cauldron related stickers could be wall stickers - not entirely convinced LC will be included either.

Lockhart should be there. Would be strange to include Daily Prophet without any associated characters so I think Rita Skeeter is in there too, the building may be pretty small though. Given the size of the icecream stickers it could be a small shop or something even smaller like a stand. The high number of shops give me hope we will have a wider range of figs than just the usual suspects which would be most excellent!

I think this set will be awesome! I'm usually not in a hurry to order new sets, but this one I will get right away.

33 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Gringotts is printed (likely, but where are the rest of the stickers for it?)

Does Gringotts really need other stickers though? :shrug_oh_well: The last one had four; two for the sign and two for the portraits. The latter probably weren’t even canon, I mean why would a bank run and owned by goblins hang portraits of random wizards on their walls :tongue: (Or maybe I missed something and they‘re there after all)

Anyway, I assume it‘s not included to prevent disappointment. Hoping for stuff being included in sets based on leaks has rarely paid off in the past (e.g. additional characters in 79017) , so I‘m not doing it this time :snicker: There are counterexamples too (Babymort), but still, not risking it 

Loving the stickers we've seen! Personally I feel like we won't get Gringott with the set though...and I'm low-key glad. 

That would have been no doubt the most detailed building of them all, so we would have had either less shops or less details if Gringott was included. Its absence makes this set an even more interesting one and we'll get for sure a modular-like Gringott (and Knockturn Alley?) next year.

Hopefully the leaks won't stop/the set is revealed soon!

Extremely late to the buzz about the new leak but I probably tend to agree with people who think Gringotts is likely (hopefully ??) included. Probably just a facade with a small lobby, and maybe with technic pin connection points for an Ironbelly cave/Lestrange vault/cart and railway/ some kind of an expansion type set or something next year. But everything else looks very exciting and promising (although not for my wallet).

Honestly, if they do a Diagon Alley set without Gringotts, I probably wouldn't get it, at least not immediately. It would be like making a Times Square set without the Flatiron Building.

With no LC but with Gringotts I'd be disappointed but probably still get it.

3 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

It would be like making a Times Square set without the Flatiron Building.

Don't want to be a know-it-all, but the Flatiron Building isn't on Times Square ;-)

However, I agree that a DA without Gringotts would be kind of a letdown...

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

Yes, but what about the rest of the stickers from Gringotts :sceptic:

The first three on sheet A could be from Gringotts for three goblin desks. The rest of the interior like chandeliers, galleons, desks and scales could be all brick built. Furthermore the sign of Gringotts is on the curved balcony, which they tend to print when the pieces are circular. To prove my point there is also no sticker for the WWW face, just the torso and tie on sheet D. So the face is either also a print (because it's similar to Grawp's or Neemar Reem's face on a curved brick) or it is entirely brick-built

Edited by Metanoios91

Just now, Greshi210 said:

Don't want to be a know-it-all, but the Flatiron Building isn't on Times Square ;-)

However, I agree that a DA without Gringotts would be kind of a letdown...

Haha, RIP. That was such a bad example I'm embarrassed. I even googled it and everything. I'll leave it for other people to enjoy my stupidity though.

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I really don't see them making Gringotts a seperate set. Surely we'll get a Gringotts Escape set next year but I doubt they'll be going beyond the Lestrange Vault and surrounding area. Releasing a $400 set and expecting customers to come back a year later to pick up the most iconic structure for an extra ~$100 also doesn't sound like a smart thing, especially considering Gringotts isn't really able to completely stand alone for those who aren't picking up DA 

I couldn’t disagree more. From the beginning, I have been saying that we will not get both WWW and Gringott’s in this set. My preference would have been for Gringott’s over WWW, but it is what it is.

My reasoning has always been that, from a business perspective, LEGO stands to make a lot more money by selling hundreds of thousands of $100 Gringott’s sets that are available in stores all around the world in addition to the comparatively smaller number of $400 Diagon Alley sets it will sell exclusively in its LEGO stores.

Gringott’s is arguably the most iconic building in the Wizarding World after the Hogwarts Great Hall and Grand Staircase Tower. It can absolutely stand alone as it’s own set. In fact, with all its white marble and a fire breathing dragon perched atop its copper dome, it will probably look cleaner and more striking on a bookshelf or a desk if it’s not attached to the rest of the buildings. 

Ultimately, the decision is about LEGO’s bottom line. They don’t care if your feelings are hurt that Gringott’s wasn’t included and that you’ll have to shell out another $100+ if you want it. It’s business, not personal. And I for one would happily pay another $100 in 2021 to get a big beautiful Gringott’s with a Ukrainian Ironbelly to complete my Diagon Alley display. It just adds value to my $400 purchase from this year.

All this being said - I still hope and pray that I am wrong and that a new sticker sheet for Gringott’s magically appears today and this can be settled! Haha

Edited by sebastian666

As much as I would be dissapointed not having Gringott's, another part of me loves the idea as it leaves more details to be had in the many other stores we are getting. What I don't like is the thought of waiting another whole year for it. It's killing me just waiting til September for this damn set as it is! Rofl. Pretty psyched we are getting Weasley Wizard Wheezes though! Bet it will be so much fun! :-D 

Wonder if this set is going to devalue the old Diagon Alley or sent the prices through the roof? Guess it depends on the scale difference between the two.

9 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

Ultimately, the decision is about LEGO’s bottom line. They don’t care if your feelings are hurt that Gringott’s wasn’t included

But they would assumedly care if they sold way less $400 sets because people look at it and it seems to be missing the most noteworthy building.

The old Diagon Alley will only have a diminished sentimental value going forward. This one will have so much more detail and a better minifig selection. Fred and George will be no longer exclusive, which were a big draw for the old set. Also if you look at the buildings it's kind of like comparing the two Burrows. The new one will be more screen accurate, while the old is more simplistic compared to the pieces and techniques available to the designers nowadays

Interestingly looking at the Diagon Alley set on Google maps. We have all but one shop on one side of the street and only one shop from the other side of the street. I think it's going to be just a one sided street with maybe Quality Quidditch Supplies in the place of Wiseacres Wizarding Equipment.

Just now, Zepthire said:

But they would assumedly care if they sold way less $400 sets because people look at it and it seems to be missing the most noteworthy building.

I think the number of people who are planning to buy a LEGO D2C Diagon Alley regardless of which buildings it includes heavily outweighs the number of people who are going to opt out because it doesn’t include their favorite building. Again, I hope I’m wrong and it’s included, but as a businessman - this decision makes a lot of sense to me.

Just now, sebastian666 said:

I think the number of people who are planning to buy a LEGO D2C Diagon Alley regardless of which buildings it includes heavily outweighs the number of people who are going to opt out because it doesn’t include their favorite building. Again, I hope I’m wrong and it’s included, but as a businessman - this decision makes a lot of sense to me.

I'll admit i'm much more excited about the smaller shops than Gringotts. They will have so many more exciting little details. Reality is we were never going to get the underground exciting details of Gringotts in this, just a boring old bank really. Not saying I don't really want a Gringotts, but the other shops have me a lot more excited! :-D

Also just been looking at the old Fred/George minifigures and geez, the old headpiece was a million times better than what's coming in the CMF. Have the perfect level of playfulness you'd expect from the Weasley Twins without them looking like goofy 6 year olds.

Edited by chris6507

6 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

And I also assume that this means you would still buy the $100 Gringott’s set that is likely to come out next year if it’s not in this set - so for LEGO, you’re ultimately not much of a loss

2 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

And I also assume that this means you would still buy the $100 Gringott’s set that is likely to come out next year if it’s not in this set - so for LEGO, you’re ultimately not much of a loss

I mean, losing a $400 sell in exchange of a $100 one doesnt seem like a great bussiness model to me.

1 minute ago, sebastian666 said:

$400 is a bit of a loss? I *might* buy a standalone Gringotts but I wouldn't buy the DA set. Similarly I would buy the Great Hall minifig scale set but I wouldn't buy the D2C Hogwarts if it didn't have the Great Hall

11 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

Also just been looking at the old Fred/George minifigures and geez, the old headpiece was a million times better than what's coming in the CMF. Have the perfect level of playfulness you'd expect from the Weasley Twins without them looking like goofy 6 year olds.

You should look at the better quality pics of the cmf box art. They have double sided faces (each one unique so you get 4 possible expressions for the twins) and one expression is almost the identical slight smirk as on the old figure. And the laughing face on the old one looks also similar to one of the 4 new expressions. The grainy picture you propably saw and judged them from made it look like they have "hare" teeth which isn't the case. It was just the pixelated scan quality. So please check the better pictures or wait for the high quality press release before you pass judgement

Edited by Metanoios91