Sign in to follow this  
pilgrim

lego train 12v, will this tracks layout shortcircuit?

hello lego friends,

i just made this layout on bluebrick,

i only have 32 straight rail couples, so this is the biggest track i can get (i only use 30 because one or two will probably break because of old age)

this should work right? it shouldn't shortcircuit or anything?

thanks! can't wait to start building ^__^

nYrX0M3.jpg

Edited by pilgrim

That will work fine, and the extra bit on the curved rail you show is supposed to reduce interference with other devices such as radios etc but I've never had a problem with interference whether I used those rails or not.

4 hours ago, Andy Glascott said:

That will work fine, and the extra bit on the curved rail you show is supposed to reduce interference with other devices such as radios etc but I've never had a problem with interference whether I used those rails or not.

thank you so much Andy!

On 7/10/2019 at 9:55 AM, pilgrim said:

hello lego friends,

i just made this layout on bluebrick,

i only have 32 straight rail couples, so this is the biggest track i can get (i only use 30 because one or two will probably break because of old age)

this should work right? it shouldn't shortcircuit or anything?

thanks! can't wait to start building ^__^

nYrX0M3.jpg

Short circuit question - so that you or no others have to ask again.

You made a big layout.  Determine a direction.  Like far left side of track and up.  Trace your finger through the track, use all of the switches.  Did you ever reverse your direction??  If yes = layout will not work.  If no = you are fine.

Examples of simple short circuits. 

1.)    "P loop"  You have a straight track, you go up to the top, you turn right sharp and at the bottom merge with the same straight track via track point.  (If you have a crossing at the bottom of the P where you simply cross the track you are fine).

2.)   "Slurve" inside an oval  You can have 'C' with switches on both ends leading back to the oval, no problem.  You CANNOT have an 'S' curve inside the same loop, because the train will change directions again.

3.)  "Figure 8 with bypass" - You cannot have a figure 8 track and have a bypass on the side (unless it's not powered) a bypass would be two points connecting the same side of the figure 8.

All of these limitations are the same with 9V and all of these limitations can be avoided universally by using Power Functions, 4.5V or Powered up.