Renny The Spaceman

The LEGO Ninjago Movie that never was

The LEGO Ninjago Movie's messy history behind the camera isn't exactly a well kept secret. There were many ideas for the film that got pretty far Originally,  at one point it was going to be a time travel movie where Lloyd goes back in time to fight Stop the great devourer from biting Garmadon at another it'd be about them taking on bounty hunters and the Vermilion but the version that interests me was the final revision the film that happened just before the film we know came into fruition

So I was browsing Youtube today when a video called "Rocktagon" appeared in my recommended section and from the thumbnail it looked like a clip low quality from The LEGO Ninjago Movie but I recently caught the film on Sky Movies so it was fresh in my mind and didn't remember any that could be described as "Rocktagon" so I clicked on it and found a weird music video including almost exclusively unused clips from the film, the entire channel is just the same sorta thing, music videos with unused clips (and one of the extras from the Blu-ray) showing off some great hints to the version of the film that was apparently rewritten 3 months before it's release. The most notable being Lloyd having a entire action sequence cut and Cole, showing him quite often each time giving something new. It shows off his mech using the shoulder speakers it had in the sets, a ctip of the Quake mech with a brick built wheel, a rather dynamic shot of him piloting the mech, a clip of him fist bumping the quake mech implying it has sentience (Welp, that just made the Meowthra scene more horrifying) and most interestingly a shot of him in front of bars getting increasingly angrier as blue lights flicker on and off in the background. (:shrug_confused:) Now this sounds great and all but there's just one just one problem, it's been recorded of a screen on to a phone with a dog barking in the background, Drat.

Though at first this just looks like a few deleted scenes it's really, just a few deleted scenes. But in all seriousness this sorta confuses me as with all this unused animation TLNM reused animation left right and center and heck Cole just disappears during Garmadons second invasion. Maybe it's just me but I always find this stuff really interesting, what could have been with the slightest change, maybe if they stuck to their guns this film would have done better and we'd all be eagerly anticipating The LEGO Nexo Knights movie next fall.

The aforementioned channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC70b4uPBXNZVnTqDco4Jr-A

@Renny The Spaceman OMG! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING ABOUT THIS! I've been looking for these deleted scenes and cut footage forever but I never really found it anywhere. 

I enjoyed the Lego Ninjago movie but it had... considerably... lower levels of awesome than the other 2 previous Lego movies. Not to say that it wasn't salvageable. Over the past year, I have been painstakingly reconstructing the Lego Ninjago Movie from the ground up to include scenes that were deleted from the movie that we got, and I'm also incorporating plot points from the tv show. I would describe it as 9 seasons worth of distilled plot essence in movie form. This is the Ninjago Movie the fans deserved to see, and the one the franchise deserved to have. I would really recommend giving it a read: https://archiveofourown.org/works/13227678/chapters/30257307

All the references and deleted movie concepts I am using are being archived here: http://littlepryingpandorica.tumblr.com/post/169251450573/project-rebuild

Just go to the specific chapter and each reference has been hyperlinked into the script.  

I know my signature also contains a link to the Eurobricks thread of the story, but I haven't updated it in a long time and I really should get back to that. Anyway, once I am done writing the script, I plan to turn into a freely available brick web comic that I will also be posting in the appropriate thread section. But it will take time because I have a real life outside of this passion project. And it is a passion project. This is the kind of Ninjago movie I wanted to see ever since the first Lego Movie came out. And since the sequel to my original inspiration is finally coming out, it's high time I get this out into the world as well.

I really have no idea what happened during the production that resulted in the Lego Ninjago Movie being released as it was. All I know is that it took the Lego Group and Warner Brothers 4 years to come up with the movie that we got. I want to see what I can do in that same amount of time. It might take a while, but I will see Ninjago Project Rebuild to the end. Because if something is broken, it can be #Rebuilt 

tumblr_pifjkz7L471rkxmmpo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pifjkz7L471rkxmmpo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pifjkz7L471rkxmmpo3_1280.jpg

11 hours ago, Ghost Onyx said:

@Renny The Spaceman OMG! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING ABOUT THIS! I've been looking for these deleted scenes and cut footage forever but I never really found it anywhere. 

I enjoyed the Lego Ninjago movie but it had... considerably... lower levels of awesome than the other 2 previous Lego movies. Not to say that it wasn't salvageable. Over the past year, I have been painstakingly reconstructing the Lego Ninjago Movie from the ground up to include scenes that were deleted from the movie that we got, and I'm also incorporating plot points from the tv show. I would describe it as 9 seasons worth of distilled plot essence in movie form. This is the Ninjago Movie the fans deserved to see, and the one the franchise deserved to have. I would really recommend giving it a read: https://archiveofourown.org/works/13227678/chapters/30257307

All the references and deleted movie concepts I am using are being archived here: http://littlepryingpandorica.tumblr.com/post/169251450573/project-rebuild

Just go to the specific chapter and each reference has been hyperlinked into the script.  

I know my signature also contains a link to the Eurobricks thread of the story, but I haven't updated it in a long time and I really should get back to that. Anyway, once I am done writing the script, I plan to turn into a freely available brick web comic that I will also be posting in the appropriate thread section. But it will take time because I have a real life outside of this passion project. And it is a passion project. This is the kind of Ninjago movie I wanted to see ever since the first Lego Movie came out. And since the sequel to my origina is finally coming out, it's high time I get this out into the world as well.

No problem, you should also check out this https://vimeo.com/jollylads as the video Garmadon TV has some similar but different cut scenes from the movie (And a weird cartoon with Vitruvius drowning wizards with clams)

Good luck on your project, I look forward to seeing the final product.

Hi @Renny The Spaceman I'm sorry I was only able to see your reply now since my computer was dead for the past month. But thanks for the link! That Garmadon TV video is really trippy. 

Progress has been slow with Project Rebuild but the Lego Movie 2 has reinvigorated my passion.