Sign in to follow this  
Dazzzy

Importing minifigures from LDD to Stud.io?

Hi everyone. I suspect this may be a FAQ, but can someone tell me why whenever I import a minifigure with a printed face from LDD to Stud.io, the face disappears?

Thanks

Hi,

Actually not a FAQ for Studio :wink:

The problem is manyfold.  First, LDD “names” the decorations with numbers that have, AFAICT, no relation to any publicly available number or ID. Then, LDraw and BrickLink don’t name (all) the printed parts the same way (both description and ID).  That means you need to first match the LDD picture with a LDraw part, if it exists, and then match that LDraw part with its BrickLink number to be usable in Studio.  All that has to be done manually, decoration by decoration.  Also, LDD decorations aren’t always the same as real ones and matching them is not always obvious or useful.  I know, I’ve done it (or tried to do it) for lxf2ldr :grin:

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:03 PM, SylvainLS said:

Hi,

Actually not a FAQ for Studio :wink:

The problem is manyfold.  First, LDD “names” the decorations with numbers that have, AFAICT, no relation to any publicly available number or ID. Then, LDraw and BrickLink don’t name (all) the printed parts the same way (both description and ID).  That means you need to first match the LDD picture with a LDraw part, if it exists, and then match that LDraw part with its BrickLink number to be usable in Studio.  All that has to be done manually, decoration by decoration.  Also, LDD decorations aren’t always the same as real ones and matching them is not always obvious or useful.  I know, I’ve done it (or tried to do it) for lxf2ldr :grin:

Thanks for breaking it down for me, SylvainLS! :classic::thumbup:

Had a little go and tried to import a printed head from an official Lego set, but the '?' cube appeared. Not to worry though as it turns out I hadn't selected decorated bricks. The selection of heads isn't as expansive but it'll do.