I'm trying to make a small sliding door in LDD for a spaceship (think "bathroom door" as opposed to "hangar door").  I've tried several different methods and each one has fallen short.

Parts:
30586 - For some reason, I cannot put anything in the groove.  I want to put a 1x4 in the groove.
32028 - I thought you could flip a smooth plate on it's side and place it in the groove of this piece, but LDD won't allow that either.
2653 - Using this piece with 32028 is impractical -- it makes the door too high off the ground.

What are my other options?

Edited by A Man Using A Computer

30586: nothing connects in the rail but you can scaffold your door.

32028: you can use a 4x6 glass, like in official models, like the door on 70620 Ninjago City’s top tower. But, again, you need scaffolding to put the glass, LDD won’t connect the parts.

Yes :classic:  Or put temporary parts (IOW, a scaffold) to place the part you want before removing them. For example, for 30586, you don’t place it or you move it away, you put a plate instead, you connect your brick door on top of the plate, then remove the plate and put the 30586 back.

You can also use other tricks, like moving several parts together even when they are not connected. For example, for fine moves, put a clip on a bar, then select both the clip and the part(s) you want to move (ctrl+click or use the “+” selection tool), then grab the clip: it will glide along the bar and the other selected parts will move along and LDD will in priority try to keep the clip connected and not try to connect the other parts. That’s how I put glasses between two 32028: put the glass in front of them, then use one vertical bar+clip to make it float up to the right height, and a horizontal bar+clip to insert it between the rails.

The first times are tricky, then it’s second nature :wink: