lostcarpark

[MOC] DF.9 Turret (Battle of Hoth)

I've never been satisfied by the turrets in any of the Hoth sets (and there must be half a dozen versions of it by now). They all have the problem of a straight cylinder, when in the movie the turret clearly tapers. I've made a number attempts at building one. Now I think I've finally cracked it.

28080620616_2c4a57507f_z.jpg

DF.9 Turret by James Shields, on Flickr

27499896884_422cbd04d1_z.jpg

DF.9 Turret Front by James Shields, on Flickr

27499500103_37c59ab332_z.jpg

DF.9 Turret Overhead by James Shields, on Flickr

James

Looks pretty good, althrough the way you achieved to shaping of the middle section of the turret is a little bit odd for me (Never been a big fan of illegal build anyway, maybe just me through)

I haven't seen how the barrel in that set is constructed, but, curiously, my girlfriend is building that set at the moment, so I'll definitely check it out. However, looking at the pictures online, the barrel doesn't appear to taper, which is an important feature of the turret, so the technique may not work for me.

I've been looking for a way to taper the turret tower, and this is the first that I can say I'm really happy with.

James

Okay, I see how the barrel works. Very clever use of the tank track pieces, but I don't think that will work for me, as I need the tower to taper inwards.

Here's a picture of the inside of mine. The bar holder clip pieces give a very solid connection, and it feels quite solid. The flat sides of the bar holders suggest they are designed to fit in the underside of a plate or tile, though I doubt we'd see the technique used in a set.

28081506526_1545ca525a_z.jpg

DF.9 Turret Interior by James Shields, on Flickr

James