Sign in to follow this  
Breakdown

Minor mod on 6399 monorail . . . . . .

Just a quick intro . . . One of the idiot-proof things that I love about lego monorails (at least 6990 & 6991) is that they have lights so that you remember that have the battery pack on. It's on the same, but my PF trains all have lights in them for the same reason . . . and it looks cool.

At first I was stupid enough to buy the parts so allow for a light on the roof-top in place of one of the vents, then came up with something a little better.

The lego 6399 is the only monorail train that isn't equipped with a 9V light, so . . . . someone's probably done this about a billion times, but I've tried to make a mod to the train to get it lit up on the front end. It extends the length of the train car 2 studs and there's a one plate height increase. I've pictured it with the prior to updated rear car. Would love to hear opinions. I do wish that the front windows would line up perfectly, but I think that it's an improvement in appearance. With a proper length cord, there will be no loss in seating. The second car, would have a one seat increase in capacity potentially.

Just a few pics.

6399Mod1.jpg

6399Mod2.jpg

6399Mod3.jpg

6399Mod4.jpg

6399Mod1.jpg

I'll preface this by saying that I am not very well versed in monorail... But to my eye, the extra red plate gives an added balance to the model. I think the model is better off for it. Good MOD!

Headlights! Can't believe I never thought of that before. I don't have the airport monorail (I stuck with space only) so I didn't realise it had no lights

I should mention that the front end is close on the inclines/declines, but does clear, I did a mock-up to make sure. There's milimeters of clearance on the hills, and that's about it.