aska0278

Hello!

Hello! new to the forums (obviously) Both my husband and I love LEGO but we're more casual fans and just love to see what amazing things people come up with . (Though the Millenium Falcon my DH got for Christmas completely brought out the kid in him. :wink: ) In truth though it's our two girls (10 and 7) who are the major LEGO fans, especially my eldest. Last year she won the Best Of Show at our school district's LEGO building competition. Proud parent moment. :classic: (And yes, there were tears of joy!) The year before she won Most Creative in her grade bracket. This is her third year in entering the contest and we've tried hard to remind her, she won the TOP award last year....there is only one way to go. :classic: However, she still is working to create something amazing. My youngest also entered last year an unfortunately didn't win anything. She wasn't upset about it for too long and decided she wanted to enter again this year. So, here I am joining the forums to look for building techniques the girls can learn and ideas that may spark their imaginations for this year's competition. They only have an hour to build from the "ground up" so to speak. Anyway, as usual I have written a book, so I'll stop there. If you made it this far in Thanks! for reading my ramble.

TL;DR

Hello! :wink:

I do have pictures. I will attempt to upload them. The kids are divided into grade levels (K-5th) and they have one hour to build from the ground up. All pieces have to be completely dismantled. We make her practice building in the time limit just in case she finds something takes too long to build or she needs/wants to change how she builds it. Each grade level has a "most realistic" and a "most creative" prize. Then they Have "Overall Creative" and "Overall realistic" and then finally "Best In Show" She was pretty bummed when they moved past her grade last year and she hadn't won like the previous year. But the moment they said her name for Best of Show she was up off the floor and to the front in a flash. It was a great memory to have.

This was the first year she entered. 2nd grade. She did a zoo. We practiced building within an hour the week before. I helped her a little I figured if she used separate plates for each section of the zoo, it would give her the failsafe of leaving out a section if she ran out of time. This is unfortunately the only picture I have from my old camera. :( From left to right: The Ostrich Pen, Wolf Pen, Woodland habitat, Reptile House and Aquarium, and in the far right corner the Bear habitat. The snack cart is in the upper right corner.

24754005219_d7cf81d7c5_z.jpgLEGO_zoo by asuka0278, on Flickr

This was last year's Best of Show. She wanted to use the Minecraft LEGOs she got for Christmas. (Minecraft is another favorite of hers) She wasn't sure how to go about it initially, so i suggested she try and recreate each of the biomes and this is what she came up with. Again, we made sure she set it up so if she ran out of time, she could leave off a section if she needed to.

Overhead shot of the whole thing:

25028414091_f9f10a0523_k.jpgFull view by asuka0278, on Flickr

Grassland scene, complete with horses, (which had just come out in our version of Minecraft) house, pig pen, and garden.

25095364786_b4e2ac6edb_k.jpgHOuse, grassland, and of course, horses by asuka0278, on Flickr

Cave with creepers, skeletons, lava source, water source, and ore:

24491024904_43615e430f_k.jpgCave with lava, water, and ore by asuka0278, on Flickr

Desert scene with end portal. (It's hard to see in this picture but the grey section is supposed to be a temple covered in sand.)

25095358706_ba396700f8_k.jpgDesert and End portal by asuka0278, on Flickr

And finally her Mooshroom Island. Complete with mooshroom cow. :)

24494841523_9d17ae5c6b_k.jpgMooshroom island by asuka0278, on Flickr

Thanks for asking to see them. She was very proud of both her creations. :)

Edited by aska0278