Doctor Octoroc

LEGO Architecture "World's Tallest" Custom Series

Two more for the night - Al Yaqoub Tower and The Index, both in Dubai, UAE. I'm trying to vary up the styles of the last few structures I build before publishing the Kickstarter (during which I'll complete the last ten models). This makes 89 total so if anyone has a request for the last one before I take requests over on the KS comments section, speak up!

26089501731_a78205d996_z.jpg 25890183210_73236e32c2_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

I finally got around to putting together cover art and instructions for my redo of the Marina City Towers. I definitely like this version better despite having many more pieces - the majority of them are 1x1 round plates so the cost to build shouldn't be much different.

25547053135_aeb43048ac_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Pro tip: not every piece in Lego Digital Designer is actually an existing piece - you would think they wouldn't have unavailable parts included but apparently, 1x6 Medium Blue tiles do not exist, or are so hard to find they aren't in any online database including Brick Link and Rebrickable. As a result, I have to go back and tweak a few of my designs. A pain, no doubt, but necessary to ensure the instructions I'm putting together are all sound...

Alright, I finally finished putting together all the Brickstore PLI files and still have one more model to complete - then the Kickstarter is going live!

So while searching for a possible historical landmark to build as the final model, I came across the Home Insurance Building in Chicago, IL that I already did and something seemed off about the scale - I realized that I didn't resize the image when i pasted it into my reference diagram so it was way too large! So, I redid it at the proper scale.

24912045770_b7f3a51bd0_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Okay, here's the last model before the KS launch! Here's the GE Building in New York, NY United States.

26254208976_ca8669288e_z.jpg

I'll be doing a pass over all the instructions and pieces to make sure everything is ready to go, then finishing up the video for the campaign. I'll either post it later tonight or early tomorrow!

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Exciting :) congrats already on all the work you've done towards this!

Thanks! I feel very accomplished having finished 90 - soon to be 100 - models. I'm looking forward to finishing the series and doing some more after that. I added two stretch goals to the campaign. The first is three extra models for every $100 beyond the goal. The second is if it reaches a certain amount, I'll put together a comprehensive video tutorial series showing my process, all the programs I use and techniques I implement along the way, using the extra models as the content.

On a side note, I found another model that had parts not actually available. Almas Tower used white 1x2 Technic lift arms, which aren't actually produced despite being available in LDD so I had to redesign the towers. I'm not quite as happy with it as I was with the previous version but on the bright side, it uses less pieces.

25192804964_06ef56d62e_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

The Kickstarter is officially live!

23834564293_03b6d5ac74_z.jpg

For those just tuning in, I've spent the past 6 months or so designing, building and putting together instructions for custom models of the 100 *tallest* buildings in the world. Well, many of them fall into that category, but to switch things up a bit I threw in some historical landmarks and skipped a few that weren't as exciting as others! You can browse through this thread to see all the completed models with some 'narrative' or you can view the first 90 models finished right here. Roughly one quarter of the models I did were requests from around the web! The campaign will run for 30 days, during which I'll be adding the final 10 models to the series, also based on requests/suggestions in the comments section of the KS campaign.

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Here's the first of the final ten models, 70 Pine Street. You can pop on over to the Kickstarter to request other structures in the comments section. If you feel so inclined, please consider pledging!

25778855554_76a1cf7f05_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Not sure doable at this scale, but Burj-El-Arab in Dubai would for sure be a good candidate for the series. It, along with the London Spire.

Not sure doable at this scale, but Burj-El-Arab in Dubai would for sure be a good candidate for the series. It, along with the London Spire.

I actually did a Burj Al Arab model but was unable to get the flex hoses to import into MLCad and the LPub instructions. I have the full model built in LDD but without being able to import the parts all into MLCad and use them in LPub, i would have to put the instructions together manually to get those flex hoses in there.

Five more to go! Here's the fifth of the final ten, Raffles City in Singapore. If you're wondering how two structures from Singapore made it into the final ten so close together, the campaign has a lot of backers from Singapore so I wanted to represent them - plus they have some really cool structures over there!

25941178374_efb91fb865_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

So I revamped all the artwork for the series to make it unique and went back to replace all of the images in the thread. To separate this from the official Architecture series I created a custom logo and went with a clean, white design.

And as of now, the Kickstarter is 99% funded at the halfway point of its run!

Congrats Doc!! Loving the clean white design! Clearly differentiates itself from the official range! The rapid full funding of the KS is a testament to the strength of your project and the hard work you have put into it! Very well done indeed!!

Congrats Doc!! Loving the clean white design! Clearly differentiates itself from the official range! The rapid full funding of the KS is a testament to the strength of your project and the hard work you have put into it! Very well done indeed!!

Thanks! I'm blown away by the support - a lot of people are going for the physical sets which I did not see coming haha. Also, new model added to the series - the Trade Tower in Seoul, South Korea.

25994383943_23e366d556_z.jpg

Here's the newest model to join the series, the Prudential Tower in Boston, MA United States! Only three more to go until the official series is complete. The Kickstarter campaign is currently fully funded - and then some - so as per the stretch goals, I'll be adding even more models once it ends. We're almost at the second stretch goal as well which would mean the creation of a comprehensive video tutorial series using the stretch goal models as the basis!

26604291641_25eeb49ea9_z.jpg

Here's model #98 of the series, the Citigroup Center in New York, NY United States. Two more to go for the main series then, depending on how much funding the Kickstarter campaign gets, I'm looking at extra models to meet the stretch goals. As of now, there are going to be 12 more models after the close of the campaign and likely more!

26620783892_38f7f624d3_z.jpg

Great builds, I am struggling too think of any more tall buildings that you haven't done!

A lot of the ones I skipped going down the line were either boring or too similar to another build, and the only skyscraper in the top 20 tallest buildings that I passed on was the Guangzhou International Finance Center in China. No combination of bricks is giving me a decent looking representation of it. It's curved, tri-faced and tapers on the top and bottom. It's a LEGO nightmare haha. I've revisited it about a dozen times just to try different construction methods but all to no avail...

But that's why I also wanted to represent a good portion of the mid-sized structures and some shorter, historically significant (tall for their time) ones.

Last model for the series finished! Only a week left in the Kickstarter campaign so if you're interested, now is the time to back it and get your hands on all 100+ sets of digital instructions for the models in the series! The campaign is already fully funded and there will be at least 12 more models added to the series after it ends due to stretch goals being met - if we can get to the next stretch goal there will be 15 total added, plus I'll put together the video tutorial series!

23834564293_03b6d5ac74_z.jpg

And here's the last model - Torre Cepsa in Madrid Spain.

26692795221_d3d36a6474_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc