Sign in to follow this  
gamejutzu

Is LEGO being unfair with gameplay?

To be honest, when Lego games give female characters unique attributes, it's often to compensate for many such characters being less useful. This isn't a dig at Lego or the games themselves, but when you have a "damsel in distress" character like several of the ones from Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or Jurassic World, you've got to do something to help compensate for their lack of guns/lightsabers/force powers/etc., or they'll essentially be useless compared to their male co-stars in story mode who typically have all the same powers and then some. Giving them a double jump is a good way to give them some added versatility and usefulness without having to make up abilities that contradict their actual story role.

Besides, it's not like that rule is universal to Lego games. In the original Lego Star Wars, most female characters could double jump... but so could Jar-Jar Binks and a few others. In games like Lego Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin, almost every character can double jump (justified, since most of them are ninjas with plenty of athletic skill). And in Lego City: Undercover, the only characters with any sort of double jump are astronauts who can wear jetpacks.

I was just complaining about this game (and partially the Lego movie game). Timothy can scream too. There were a lot people that could have been given the acrobatic and high jump ability, but nope. And does Zara really have acrobatic abilities? Even the characters that aren't important do this too. The Ingen security guard (who is female) also does this. Would the male version really have done that?

Billy looks like he has quite the adventures. What's his excuse?

I'm not saying even out every character, just to choose what abilities go to who by the things they do in the movies, not just because one's a girl and the other one isn't.

I think it's fair the female characters get the agility. Many of the female characters in this franchise do a fair bit of climbing, Ellie especially had a lot of jumping and climbing (There's a whole scene of her leaping over trees to get to the shed). Lex as well is shown to be pretty good at climbing over the course of the movie. Tim meanwhile is afraid of heights and Grant is older and thus agility doesn't really make sense. For the second movie Kelly is a gymnast and Sarah does a fair bit of climbing during the Raptor chase. So I think it's fair to give the female characters agility as that's often what we see in the movie. Up until Jurassic World no women had died in the series, so I'd say those characters must simply be more agile.

As for the shattering of glass I'm guessing the reason men don't have that power is simply because their voices can't produce the right pitch to accomplish this feat (Or at least they're less likely too). I don't think Lego is trying to say anything offensive about women, simply utilizing the pitch of their voices for a gimmicky power. So ultimately I wouldn't read into it that much.

At the end of the day each character needs some sort of power for the game and not every character displayed special abilities of some sort in the movies. Ultimately the game designers filled in the blank using whatever power set they had already created.

For that movie I'll say there's definitely a few male characters that could have used those powers, but then again some characters like Batman already have enough powers as it is.

There's my argument.

I think, at the end of the day, you've just got to remember that it just a game. Its not associated with any stereotypes, nor is the issue you've complained about anything offensive or rude. I haven't noticed it, and guessing from the replies in this thread, not many other people have. I think you've just got to be grateful Lego have released a great game. I get constructive criticism and all, but this over the top, I could never imagine getting this upset over a Game I've played.

I think, at the end of the day, you've just got to remember that it just a game. Its not associated with any stereotypes, nor is the issue you've complained about anything offensive or rude. I haven't noticed it, and guessing from the replies in this thread, not many other people have. I think you've just got to be grateful Lego have released a great game. I get constructive criticism and all, but this over the top, I could never imagine getting this upset over a Game I've played.

Character development , especially proper character development, is always good.