TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

I was referring to Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, and Portal, not the themes that had no new minifigures. Doctor Who is certainly popular, but the others are, too.

I was referring to Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, and Portal, not the themes that had no new minifigures. Doctor Who is certainly popular, but the others are, too.

Nobody's going to buy any characters beyond Doc Brown or Marty McFly for Back to the Future. Ghostbusters could possibly help keep the game alive. Portal won't.

Nobody's going to buy any characters beyond Doc Brown or Marty McFly for Back to the Future. Ghostbusters could possibly help keep the game alive. Portal won't.

Back to the Future I think we're good because honestly who wants to play as Biff? Ghostbusters, not that many characters I can think of in terms of new characters. Portal defiantly not. I mean Chell's pretty much all you need from the Portal games anyway, we could get Atlas and Peabody the two robots from Portal 2 but I don't think we'd get a high demand for them.

Back to the Future I think we're good because honestly who wants to play as Biff? Ghostbusters, not that many characters I can think of in terms of new characters. Portal defiantly not. I mean Chell's pretty much all you need from the Portal games anyway, we could get Atlas and Peabody the two robots from Portal 2 but I don't think we'd get a high demand for them.

This is why I say Doctor Who though because there's plenty of characters they could do that would maintain the popularity of future Dimensions sets. Off the top of my head:

Missy

Clara

Zygon

Auton

Strax/Sontaran

Silurian/Vastra

Jenny

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

Captain Jack Harkness

Sarah Jane Smith

This is why I say Doctor Who though because there's plenty of characters they could do that would maintain the popularity of future Dimensions sets. Off the top of my head:

Missy

Clara

Zygon

Auton

Strax/Sontaran

Silurian/Vastra

Jenny

Captain Jack Harkness

Sarah Jane Smith

But what about the rumoured list? Surely Lego Dimensions is not going down in sales if we are apparently going to have new franchises thrown in the mix right?

Missy

Clara

Zygon

Auton

Strax/Sontaran

Silurian/Vastra

Jenny

Captain Jack Harkness

Sarah Jane Smith

It's certainly easier to imagine more character possibilities when you're a big fan of Doctor Who. However, these characters are virtually unknown to the non-DW watching market. The great thing about characters like the Doctor, Cyberman, Dalek and K-9 is that people are familiar with them even if they haven't seen the show. I understand Doctor Who has brought a great fanbase to LEGO Dimensions, but I don't think they're enough to focus the future of the game on.

We basically know Chima, BTTF, LOTR, Portal, JW, DW, Wizard of Oz, Scooby-Doo, Simpsons and Midway Arcade have done as much as they can at this point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the rumours have pointed to the new licenses as Harry Potter, Fantastic Beasts, Nexo Knights, 2016 Ghostbusters and Adventure Time, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the rumours have pointed to the new licenses as Harry Potter, Fantastic Beasts, Nexo Knights, 2016 Ghostbusters and Adventure Time, right?

And some others as well, possibly ET, Teen Titans Go, *maybe* Sonic, and a few unknowns with initials MI and GR.

Edited by FrankyCentaur

It's certainly easier to imagine more character possibilities when you're a big fan of Doctor Who. However, these characters are virtually unknown to the non-DW watching market. The great thing about characters like the Doctor, Cyberman, Dalek and K-9 is that people are familiar with them even if they haven't seen the show. I understand Doctor Who has brought a great fanbase to LEGO Dimensions, but I don't think they're enough to focus the future of the game on.

We basically know Chima, BTTF, LOTR, Portal, JW, DW, Wizard of Oz, Scooby-Doo, Simpsons and Midway Arcade have done as much as they can at this point.

As massive Doctor Who fan, and someone that very probably would not have bought the game if it wasn't included...I couldn't agree more! Now I've got the game, I don't want to see one IP dominate, even if it is one I love!. Flying the TARDIS round Middle Earth gave me a special kind of joy that I can't describe, but I've had just as much fun with the other stuff...Scooby singing the Batman theme won't ever not make me smile!

I fully expect Sept 2016 to May 2017 to see level packs for Scooby Doo, Jurassic World and the other IP's that havent had them yet. This year is a big one for DC in cinema and I just cannot see a game, that will have Superman and Batman as already playable elements, failing to capatilise on this. I would bet good money on Wave 2.1 having an extended DC level pack as it's main headline grabber.

As for the rumours surrounding 'the list'...they are just rumours. For all we know the initials on that list where referring to the colour of the packaging, and nothing to do with the names of new franchises! My guess is the 5 packs listed as 'connectables' are nothing more than the spaces for the next wave of LP's and these will be mostly, if not exclusively, existing IP's.

What I also expect is new game play elements. There are two spaces on the portal for keystones, for example, and these I expect to be filled.

The Gold Brick total will have to be upped, and new characters will undoubtedly introduce new abilities. Add to that some head-to-head elements (racing games, for example) and maybe even a creative feature and I think LD has enough in its locker to satisfy existing owners and attract new ones without adding new IP's.

But what about the rumoured list?

LEGO would have to be insane to only focus on adding new franchises and ****ing off us fans of franchises already in the game.

It's certainly easier to imagine more character possibilities when you're a big fan of Doctor Who. However, these characters are virtually unknown to the non-DW watching market. The great thing about characters like the Doctor, Cyberman, Dalek and K-9 is that people are familiar with them even if they haven't seen the show.

Completely disagree. Everybody has heard of Zygons, Autons, Missy, Strax, Madam Vastra, Silurians, Sontarans, Jenny Flint, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and Sarah Jane Smith. And if you haven't, where've you been?!?

Chima, Back to the Future, Lord of the Rings, Portal, Scooby Doo and Midway Arcade: yes.

Wizard of Oz: No.

Jurassic World, Simpsons, Doctor Who: definitely not.

In fact, it's crazy enough we're not getting any more Simpsons Dimensions sets without there being no more Doctor Who or Jurassic Park/World either. I don't know how you could possibly say Doctor Who has 'done as much as it can do at this point'. The possibilities are endless; there's lots more iconic characters to be released. LEGO have only scratched the surface and if they don't release any more, I'm going to demand a refund from LEGO.

Please stop trying to impose Doctor Who fandom on the world. It's simply a fact that many people don't know or care for the show. Most merchandise focuses on the Doctors, Daleks, Weeping Angels, and the TARDIS, so any other characters will be vague recognitions either by name or appearance. It's fine to be passionate about something, but to try to claim that everyone is and/or should be is a bit bossy and rude. While I'm sure a lot of DW fans would keep the game alive by purchasing any future packs from the show, the general public might not care about them in favor of the more recognizable Dorothy or Stay Puft.

The thing is, the franchises introduced into the game do give it appeal, but the real issue is the pricing, which seems to be a near-universal turnoff and explains the omnipresent deals at my TRU.

Completely disagree. Everybody has heard of Zygons, Autons, Missy, Strax, Madam Vastra, Silurians, Sontarans, Jenny Flint, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and Sarah Jane Smith. And if you haven't, where've you been?!?

Ummmmm..

I understand you passion for Doctor Who, but I'm just trying to look at everything from a practical and economic perspective. There's nothing more DW can do that will fall into obscurity within the target audience for Dimensions.

And let's be real here. They're not going to make anything more for Wizard of Oz. Does Dorothy have a cool action feature? Will a Cowardly Lion fun pack sell? It's easy for us older fans to want more, but to kids, they're only interested in characters that act funny or punch hard. As for Simpsons, unfortunately LEGO have seemingly killed the theme altogether. And seriously, what more could they do? Marge? Lisa? Flanders? Milhouse? It doesn't make sense. You can try and imagine as many features and vehicles for them as you want, but it's not going to happen. Radioactive Man never came out of the CMF series, and Itchy and Scratchy are too violent. Those, along with Krusty, Homer and Bart have the most marketable and most action potential along with appeal to young boys. The same goes for Jurassic World. There will be nothing until the new movie in 2018. Unless they through a curve ball and do a Jurassic Park fun pack or something.

The whole point to this game is to bring in as many licenses together. I don't want to dwell on the same 14, I want to see them expand to as many as possible.

Please stop trying to impose Doctor Who fandom on the world. It's simply a fact that many people don't know or care for the show.

Not true. The show has been a massive worldwide success ever since Day of the Doctor.

Ummmmm..

I understand you passion for Doctor Who, but I'm just trying to look at everything from a practical and economic perspective. There's nothing more DW can do that will fall into obscurity within the target audience for Dimensions.

Yes there is. There's plenty. They haven't even released Missy yet for a start!

Seriously: saying there's no more Doctor Who releases they can do without it being obscure is like saying there's no more DC characters they can do. And they'll obviously do more DC characters for the game.

And let's be real here. They're not going to make anything more for Wizard of Oz. Does Dorothy have a cool action feature? Will a Cowardly Lion fun pack sell?

Doesn't matter. The fact is there's only one Wizard of Oz set and if they weren't intending on doing more beyond one fun pack, why even bother in the first place?

As for Simpsons, unfortunately LEGO have seemingly killed the theme altogether. And seriously, what more could they do? Marge? Lisa? Flanders? Milhouse?

There's lots more they could do yet.

Marge

Lisa

Maggie

Sideshow Bob

Principal Skinner

Kang

Kodos

Itchy

Scratchy

Moe

Professor Frink

Abraham Simpson

Mr Burns

Smithers

Just to name a few. Simpsons has the most potential in the game after Doctor Who, which has the most. In fact, if I were to do a list without any bias I would say:

1. Doctor Who

2. The Simpsons

3. DC Comics

4. Jurassic World

5. Ghostbusters

Itchy and Scratchy are too violent.

Not in LEGO's eyes. They've already been released as minifigures.

The same goes for Jurassic World. There will be nothing until the new movie in 2018. Unless they through a curve ball and do a Jurassic Park fun pack or something.

Jurassic Park is the same as Jurassic World. Besides, we haven't even had Claire Dearing from Jurassic World yet.

The whole point to this game is to bring in as many licenses together. I don't want to dwell on the same 14, I want to see them expand to as many as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see new franchises but not at the expense of the others. What's the point in having an initial 14 franchises included if they're just going to be ignored as soon as they can create figures for the next franchise? It's just treating their already existing gamers like **** if they do that.

I agree that the franchises should be used more before moving on, but it'll probably stick to the most recognizable/"iconic" characters from each franchise. I think we'd get a playable Sontaran or Silurian when we get a playable Hans Moleman. Missy is almost certain for Doctor Who, but the other characters just aren't quite significant enough, and in playable terms, wouldn't bring much to the table. So, while I agree that some franchises certainly have potential, there's a limit, and anything beyond it would be best used in regular sets and not in the game.

I agree that the franchises should be used more before moving on, but it'll probably stick to the most recognizable/"iconic" characters from each franchise. I think we'd get a playable Sontaran or Silurian when we get a playable Hans Moleman. Missy is almost certain for Doctor Who, but the other characters just aren't quite significant enough, and in playable terms, wouldn't bring much to the table. So, while I agree that some franchises certainly have potential, there's a limit, and anything beyond it would be best used in regular sets and not in the game.

Why?

The Sontarans and Silurians are much more recognisable than Hans Moleman. And I disagree that the other characters I mentioned aren't significant enough. Captain Jack has a massive fanbase, the Brigadier is constantly referenced in the main show and is a big part of its mythology, Sarah Jane Smith has had two spinoffs, two returns in the main series and companion to two of the show's most popular Doctors (Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker) before Elisabeth Sladen's untimely death, the Zygons have more than earned their right to be NFC LEGO minifigures considering they have become an iconic monster from the series through their three appearances in the show to date and the Paternoster Gang are hugely popular recurring characters. If none of those characters sold well, I'd be very surprised.

I know you guys want stuff from the franchises that we've already got but is there any franchises that haven't been announced that you would like to have in the game? My money's on either Avatar the Last Airbender or Indiana Jones is going to be the next franchise that's going to be represented in Lego Dimensions besides the ones that are rumoured to be in it.

Edited by Starscream759

The Sontarans and Silurians are much more recognisable than Hans Moleman. And I disagree that the other characters I mentioned aren't significant enough. Captain Jack has a massive fanbase, the Brigadier is constantly referenced in the main show and is a big part of its mythology, Sarah Jane Smith has had two spinoffs, two returns in the main series and companion to two of the show's most popular Doctors (Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker) before Elisabeth Sladen's untimely death, the Zygons have more than earned their right to be NFC LEGO minifigures considering they have become an iconic monster from the series through their three appearances in the show to date and the Paternoster Gang are hugely popular recurring characters. If none of those characters sold well, I'd be very surprised.

Fine. Ask TT Games to develop a LEGO Dimensions Doctor Who edition just for you, if you're so sure of its universal popularity. I'd love more, but I don't think they need to be in the game. Sets will do fine to include more figures.

I was actually considering the idea of new gameplay mechanics, too. I feel that the second outpouring of the game's packs might extend the story and introduce some new mechanics with the Toy Pad. Because only having new character and level packs would seem sort of cheap for those who finished the story mode so quickly.

I know you guys want stuff from the franchises that we've already got but is there any franchises that haven't been announced that you would like to have in the game? My money's on either Avatar the Last Airbender or Indiana Jones is going to be the next franchise that's going to be represented in Lego Dimensions besides the ones that are rumoured to be in it.

Indiana Jones won't happen. Disney own the rights to that.

Everybody has heard of Zygons, Autons, Missy, Strax, Madam Vastra, Silurians, Sontarans, Jenny Flint, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and Sarah Jane Smith. And if you haven't, where've you been?!?

*SNIP*

LEGO have only scratched the surface and if they don't release any more, I'm going to demand a refund from LEGO.

Um. No. Good luck with your refund. :hmpf:

Not true. The show has been a massive worldwide success ever since Day of the Doctor.

*SNIP*

Just to name a few. Simpsons has the most potential in the game after Doctor Who, which has the most. In fact, if I were to do a list without any bias I would say:

*SNIP*

Don't get me wrong, I want to see new franchises but not at the expense of the others. What's the point in having an initial 14 franchises included if they're just going to be ignored as soon as they can create figures for the next franchise? It's just treating their already existing gamers like **** if they do that.

A) Massive success does not equate to universal recognition. Especially ancillary characters. Everyone knows Superman, but who's heard of Mon-El? I'd argue that the Doctor, the TARDIS, and the Daleks are the ONLY ones with such a high level of recognisability. And half the people that recognize them can't get the names straight.

B) At this point, I'm not sure I trust you to do ANYTHING without bias. You can't even RECOGNIZE your own bias. Everyone else certainly can.

C) Well, I agree with the first half of this point, but no one treating you like ****. At least not from TLG or TT. Obviously the company will do whatever they feel will make them the most money. I'm sorry you feel so singled out. You seem to feel that you are owed something. You are not.

I was actually considering the idea of new gameplay mechanics, too. I feel that the second outpouring of the game's packs might extend the story and introduce some new mechanics with the Toy Pad. Because only having new character and level packs would seem sort of cheap for those who finished the story mode so quickly.

That would be cool! Someone else mentioned spots for two more keystones, which is a solid point. And any more that can be added to the story mode would be a welcome addition for me.

That would be cool! Someone else mentioned spots for two more keystones, which is a solid point. And any more that can be added to the story mode would be a welcome addition for me.

I wonder how they'd issue the new keystones, though.

I wonder how they'd issue the new keystones, though.

I thought about that too, and I dread to know the answer.....

A) Massive success does not equate to universal recognition. Especially ancillary characters. Everyone knows Superman, but who's heard of Mon-El? I'd argue that the Doctor, the TARDIS, and the Daleks are the ONLY ones with such a high level of recognisability. And half the people that recognize them can't get the names straight.

There's a lot more than just the Doctor, TARDIS and Daleks. There's the Cybermen (already released), Missy/the Master, Sonatarans, Silurians, Zygons, Autons, Captain Jack Harkness, Sarah Jane Smith, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Ice Warriors, Weeping Angels, Silence etc... The list could go on.

C) Well, I agree with the first half of this point, but no one treating you like ****. At least not from TLG or TT. Obviously the company will do whatever they feel will make them the most money. I'm sorry you feel so singled out. You seem to feel that you are owed something. You are not.

They would be because it's misleading to announce so many licenses then introduce new ones after a short while and ignore the old.

8BrickMario, I agree with you that the Phase 2 packs will have to extend the story (while also adding new franchises to the game [one of my hopes is that TT Games will continue to update the existing Adventure Worlds while bringing in new Adventure Worlds]). For those of us that have finished the story mode of the game, there was that "cliffhanger" scene so I believe the game will continue down that road. The idea of additional keystones is great (would love to be smart enough to figure out what they will be!) and being able to add to our portal would be fun.

I'm still going through trying to get gold brick (up to 313 at this point) so I still have a ways to go. Really looking forward to Waves 4 and 5 and the announcemnt of the next step in Dimensions!

Please stop trying to impose Doctor Who fandom on the world. It's simply a fact that many people don't know or care for the show. Most merchandise focuses on the Doctors, Daleks, Weeping Angels, and the TARDIS, so any other characters will be vague recognitions either by name or appearance. It's fine to be passionate about something, but to try to claim that everyone is and/or should be is a bit bossy and rude. While I'm sure a lot of DW fans would keep the game alive by purchasing any future packs from the show, the general public might not care about them in favor of the more recognizable Dorothy or Stay Puft.

The thing is, the franchises introduced into the game do give it appeal, but the real issue is the pricing, which seems to be a near-universal turnoff and explains the omnipresent deals at my TRU.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: well said. LegoDalekbuster523, remember that Doctor Who only has one Lego set at this time. Be glad that there was a Level Pack and a Fun Pack, that's more than some other franchises got. Maybe TT will just make a straight up Lego Doctor Who game, but there's no way all those characters are coming to Dimensions.

With that said... I'm really curious to see what Phase 2 will be like. I'm guessing there will be sort of a mini-Starter Pack with two or three new characters and a vehicle, like the original Starter Pack but no disk or portal. They would unlock a second storyline like how now characters in Level Packs unlock levels after you put them on the Toy Pad. (After an update where the second story is added of course.)