Hemlock Falls

Hemlock Falls (WIP)

I thought that this would be worth sharing...

Things at Hemlock Falls have been slightly redesigned.

33180427420_c37a9b05e2_b.jpgIMG_0160

I've added some surface area to the table, equalling now exactly 100 baseplates (83 1/3 square feet, i think).

There's still a lot to do, but I thought that this was a big step.

33180412860_4654cff811_b.jpgIMG_0176 

This end goes as far as it can without being hit by the door.  The extension is s'posed to be like an amusement park sort of thing.  This end has become my daughter's realm.

33563491835_e9cc513c0e_b.jpgIMG_0162 

It's set up so that everything is easy to reach and play with, meant to be less rigid than my neighborhood.  I put down green paper because I can't right now spend $100 on baseplates, and she likes to move things around which is easier when not pegged down.  This area is meant to be carefree and fun.  It's also much more well lit here.

33180427180_0f854d4244_b.jpgIMG_0163 

Next to that is like a rural area. Behind the farm and train station I am going to make a forest that segues to the jungle (where this summer's line up will fit in perfectly),  The hill up the back will be wooded and lead up to the camping sort of area, and colder environment.

33180427080_15e1e12403_b.jpgIMG_0164 

Then, of course, is the waterfall (which is just about the only thing here I can say I built myself).  I do want to get into making my own modular buildings, but I don't have a ton of leisure time, what time I do have to spend on Lego building has been spent here on this waterfall, and building the table to display it all.  I've added some blue to give me more nautical space.

33180413360_0db45e2ede_b.jpgIMG_0166 

This is a view of the gap.  My hope is that the way the water spreads to both sides of the corner implies that the gap is some sort of lake separating the land masses.  I thought about making flaps that fold up with blue baseplates glued to them, maybe someday.  It's important to me to be able to reach everything, so this is kind of an immersive place to be, surrounded by Lego on all sides, without having to duck under anything. It's hard to get a photo of how cool that looks.

33522966296_3ff51351b1_b.jpgIMG_0167 

...and then there's this.  The main reason I built this extension was because Lego (especially the modulars) are three dimensional by nature.  The way I had it set up was difficult to see more than one angle of any building, some I hardly saw at all.  You need to be able to move around and see more of the pieces otherwise a good portion of their aesthetic value is wasted.

33522966316_5e264cc06e_b.jpgIMG_0173 

The older part of the table makes a cool background for the new peninsula.  The end of the table is going to be like a park in this city. 

33522966166_fede3af5e8_b.jpgIMG_0171

Then there's a little suburb behind the city, with some room for development (meaning the new creator houses coming out later this year, and possible an older one or two)

33180413220_bccf83a31d_b.jpgIMG_0170 

When you first walk through the door into this room, you're immediately looking down this street.  It makes for a nice first impression.

So, there's my falls.  I welcome any feedback, and I apologize if i think this is cooler than it really is.

32321131313_6ca4564df9_k.jpgIMG_9640 

Also, I have a ton of these minifig stands, and was trying to find a use for them.  I will eventually try to pave my whole city with something like this. I need to find a way to make the modular curbs higher than the street without rebuilding them just to add a layer of plates.

33180394130_0f218e2a7d_k.jpgIMG_9906 

And I found out that Lego doesn't really look that cool under a blacklight.

33434701961_522a51646e_k.jpgIMG_9905

'cept the dragon.  he's cool

Wow that's really cool! Are those stands all black bricks? If so you have a lot of black bricks.. the way you used the minifig plates for the road is really neat. I like your rockscape with the waterfall. :sweet:

I dig what you have done with the falls, but the arches don't make it look super natural. I think it would be cool if you pushed that idea and turned them into ruins in the side of a mountain with the water running through them.