TristanJones

INTERSTELLAR-The movie.

Has anyone tried making the ships from this movie? A lot of model images are starting to surface. Over at LEGOIDEAS.COM, a gentleman has made a 511 piece ENDURANCE space craft--quite ingenious. I would love to see if anyone has tried to accomplish a minifig scale RANGER, LANDER and ENDURANCE. Has anyone tried or started?

I'm working on a minifig-scale version of the Ranger. It's very tough because of shallow sloping shape of the vehicle. It's not very well-suited for Lego. In my opinion, it's the same issue that a lot of Star Trek ship MOCs run into, and a the primary reason why the Cuusoo BTTF DeLorean's hood was so off-putting. Gentle slopes are difficult to capture in a blocky medium with a limited slope part selection.

On top of that you've got all of those window details on the Ranger. You're simply not going to be able to brick-build those details on such a small scale (my ranger is shaping up to be roughly 10 x 24 right now). So the method I settled on was to build the ship around a large windscreen and use stickers to fill in those window details. The UCS X-Wing/Benny's Spaceship windscreen seems to fit the job quite well. It's not the best solution because I generally hate stickers, but it's the only satisfying solution I could come up with.

I'll post my final build with I finish it! Hopefully I can make some good progress on MLCAD tonight and tomorrow.