Richpepperell

[MOD] [MOC] [WIP] Carbon Freezing Chamber

Like most people I was pretty excited when 75137 Carbon Freezing chamber was first announced. Like most people, I was also pretty disappointed to see the 'finished' set, which looks decidedly unfinished to me. After getting the official set, I started playing around with a few modifications with the bricks I had to hand with a view to extending the set to at least half the octagon.

24114057491_e97ff7b6fd_z.jpg

Although this added to the scene, it was still well below par in my eyes. I was lucky enough to find an eBay seller with two sets available without minifigures. They saving a postage meant that I managed to get the sets for £6.50 each so I was pretty pleased with the bricks I now had to work from... 3 complete sets.

My first effort kept the original (and pointless) lowering mechanism in place, which meant that two hinged sections had to be included. I made the folding sections the segments with the control panel on. I also ditched the lift immediately. With the two control panel segments, it was possible to flip them out and

lower Han, but the segments did not sit totally flush when closed, so I decided they had to go! From the pictures I found, the chamber does have dual control panels, and I also picked up another cheap Ugnaught, so the panels stayed.

25092680625_6717ab3945_z.jpg

The completed octagon now does not open but is massively more sturdy because of it. Completing the octagon drew almost exclusively from pieces included in the 3 x original set, with only a couple of additional pieces (namely a few smaller plates, tiles and a couple of 6054852s). I decided to include a rising staircase - famous as the starting point for the Father-revealing duel - but also included 2 additional staircases as this is one part of the original set that actually looked pretty good.

Some pictures...

24461983724_b5343c3bda_z.jpg

24999367121_616254f09f_z.jpg

24724391899_2155a5db30_n.jpg

25093926735_41643624b8_z.jpg

Of course I had to check it out with a few of the OT faces filling the platform (biggest problem here... no Lando or Bespin guards, but at least the advent calendar should help with that problem).

24998735871_8d5a2f1c20_z.jpg

24461983964_8e7196741f_z.jpg

The next issue was the fact that the freezing platform no longer worked via the original mechanism and I now had limited room inside to rework it. After all manner of lever systems and rack and pinion set ups, i finally just decided on a simple sliding trapdoor style mechanism. By simply pulling on the original shaft, the platform (which is on a tall pedestal) simply drops down through 2 steps. You have to raise it again by hand, but it enables perfect poisitioning for recreating the scene with what could be described as a 'play feature'.

24998743581_655bc5a72d_z.jpg

24465180543_8ecb21a74b_z.jpg

24973886902_25caa62503_z.jpg

My final issue with the set is the lack of the clamping claw that brings the carbonite block up. This section is still a WIP but I thought I'd share my progress so far. I didn't want the roof and claw section to actually be attached to the set as I felt it would hamper access a bit, so I designed it to be free-standing. The main issue is that it's extremely top heavy, but I've finally got a stand with a Y-shaped base that works, it just needs a bit of tidying up. The top section folds up to allow access when it is in position, the clamps open and close and the whole thing also spins. I'll update photos when it's done and does require the hand to hold it in place!

24461356664_8b3ac581f5_z.jpg

25065734196_f4e04dc527_z.jpg

Best of all, from the original sets, I still have all this left over!

24463197384_19b6b3e258_z.jpg

All comments and suggestion happily received! Thanks for looking!

Wow. This is an excellent MOD, an one hell of a lot better of what Lego gave us. Good job and I look forward to seeing the finished claw section :thumbup:

I know this will sound cliche (especially these days) but this should have been the set! It looks pleasingly substantial while not being excessively detailed or complex. I'm sure this design would have gotten much more appreciation, even if the price was more than double in the end. Gret job!

Great work, Richpepperell!

It's good to see that others are similiarly minded! I've been planning on buying several of the sets as soon as they're available at a decent discount, and then buidling something considerably larger with them! I especially like the top section, but the 'claws' look a little too big - have you tried any alternatives to the 1 x 4 slopes? I'd be tempted to step it down to a single 1 x 3 slope for each one, using a jumper or similar.

Oh, and if you're looking for spare parts Tesco.com currently have Final Duel (75093) at £44.98! :classic:

Great work, Richpepperell!

It's good to see that others are similiarly minded! I've been planning on buying several of the sets as soon as they're available at a decent discount, and then buidling something considerably larger with them! I especially like the top section, but the 'claws' look a little too big - have you tried any alternatives to the 1 x 4 slopes? I'd be tempted to step it down to a single 1 x 3 slope for each one, using a jumper or similar.

Oh, and if you're looking for spare parts Tesco.com currently have Final Duel (75093) at £44.98! :classic:

Cheers for your thoughts Lobot - great minds think alike as I've already removed the larger claws and only left the smaller side claws. It looks much better and a bit less cluttered.

The final duel is definitely worth picking up at that price - if only to extend the original final duel set!

Hi all. Have finally found the time today to finish the claws and top section. I'm actually really pleased with how it's turned out. There's a lot of technic beams in the mix and I actually quite likje some of the exposed sections as it maintains the 'industrial' vibe of the scene. The top section now easily slides and clicks into place, but can be easily removed for access without compromising it's stability. Check it out (there are load more pics in the Flickr album here https://www.flickr.com/gp/richpepperell101/MM672U)

25014758832_4211416b00_z.jpg

25039719351_afeff2e68e_z.jpg

24506148233_b431a8edba_z.jpg

24765277929_3abc6395b3_z.jpg

The top section is free standing...

24765277729_5eca66ec96_z.jpg

24502287444_f2b2d4661d_z.jpg

The small clip inside the claws grabs Han in carbonite to lift him from the chamber.

25106636186_33e6c2f0c1_z.jpg

The top can be flipped back for easy access.

25106630126_c7c35eb1ab_z.jpg

Put him in!

24837307440_da1f1d27d3_z.jpg

Luke's just sneaking up the stairs...

25132994655_eece790d53_z.jpg

I also discovered that by removing a single layer of bricks, my previous Cloud City Duel MOC fitted right onto the door. I'm really chuffed as this is one of my favourite MOCs I've done - hence it's still in one piece!

Bearing the UCS Hoth in mind, I think I'll call the three separate builds UCS Bespin!

25014735112_064bd9387b_z.jpg

25014766652_b24e21af65_z.jpg

25039686221_923360fcf4_z.jpg

As I say I'm really happy with the finished article - it can be played with by careful kids, the separate sections all work well alone, but also combine (taking up most of my display space!)

Enjoy - all comments welcome!

Spectacular build of this. It totally agree that while I would love to buy this set because the scene is great, I hate how it looks incomplete from Lego. You have done an awesome job in building this out. I love the fact that the claw can pick up Han. Great job!

Good job! Finished model looks amazing. I wish TLG would nake models like this. Instead of that stupid UCS Hoth set that the majority of people hate. The claw looks fantastic!

Wow man, just wow. The official Legs looks like a pathetic teaser compared to your mindblowing MOC (come on, this cant be called MOD anymore).

It may not be a super realistic minifig scale Carbonite Freezing Chamber (there is one that someone made that looked even better but the part count was probably ridicolously high) but I actually like when people mod/moc official lego sets into something that is so much better yet still able to kinda stay with the general style of the official lego build (in this case the good looking stairs, colour choices and parts of the main plattform). It just shows how much more potential the official sets really have if Lego would follow a different marketing philosophy.

Interestingly enough this would even work as an official UCS Cloud City/Bespin Set for me. Of course you could add a lot more rooms and scenes to such a "themed" build, but your final version, together with your previous MOC, feature the 2 most important and iconic scenes from Bespin and include all the important minifigs (only Lando missing). Designers of the "UCS" Hoth Set should have taking this one as an example of how to do it right!

Most favorite part for me is the claw/roof part of the freezing chamber, it just adds so much depth to the scenery its amazing!

Only thing that could maybe use a bit of reinforcement is the upper floor that connects with the 2nd scene if you display it together. For the freezing chamber alone its totally fine.

Edited by BigEl

Love how you've added the claw section to this.

A few years ago I build a very large MOC of the freeze chamber... long before joining EB... but this is much simpler, and nicer, in it's execution.

I like how you've added the platform on is but I'd actually really like to see the tunnel section Luke walks through added in... even if it was only short, I think that would work great.

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

@Robianco - you are. Right about the tunnel... I'm currently playing around with a tunnel and room with the large round window that Luke flys/is sucked through. Then it'll be the landing platform, then the dining room...

Great work! This is a fantastic MOC, such a huge improvement of the original set! It's almost a cliché now, but I wish they'd made this a UCS set instead of the Hoth one. Looking forward to seeing more modifications and/or scenes added to this one.

Brilliant MOC that, well done! really like the re-worked freeze chamber and the way it leads up to the Luke / Vader duel