Sign in to follow this  
pombe

[O - F09] Abominable!

Tags: Exploration, AG, Octan

++Pombe, personal log, start recording++

I returned from Xerillian with happy news! Isabel is alive! The rest of the crew on board the O.C.S. Axle seem confused by the situation and I don't blame them. I wasn't sure what happened either. Fortunately, the great explorers Jacques LaRose and Wick Nole, and agent Jebediah O'Reilly met with me to explain the whole thing.

It turns out that Isabel had performed so well as an apprentice explorer, she got noticed by Octan upper management! I couldn't be more proud!

18361964398_2491d226b8_c.jpg

And I'm embarrassed to say that I almost ruined her latest assignment.

Jacques said that while I was away on Livgorn looking for awesomnium in underground caves (http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=109621), Isabel was quietly promoted to full explorer and sent on a super secret exploration mission into Kawashita dominated space posing as a M.A.N.T.I.S. agent. In order to do this, she had to fake her own death and assume a M.A.N.T.I.S. identity. No wonder I found a corpse with a wig that looked just like her hair near lava (http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=109928) and that crashed M.A.N.T.I.S. ship (http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=110301)!

I wasn't supposed to have discovered any of this, according to Wick, and my reports nearly blew her cover. I'm such a terrible mentor!

In any case, she has to maintain radio silence indefinitely, and they swore me to secrecy regarding the whole situation. I mentioned that as her mentor, I am still responsible for her safety, but Jebediah told me not to worry and reassured me by telling me that he personally took care of her (http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=110370). Jebediah is such a great friend to do that for me!

I also told them about my concern for Big Z, since Isabel and him started dating, but they told me that Big Z was aware of her super secret mission and was supportive of her. That Big Z is such a great guy. I know they will be happy together once her mission is over.

Jacques also tells me that Octan Corporate HR has approved a requisition for a temporary hire to replace Isabel as my apprentice explorer and that the temp agency has sent over two candidates for me to interview. Wick also told me that a new Octan policy required all new hires be thoroughly vetted before being allowed to work on a mission. I wasn't sure why we would send new hires to be examined by a veterinarian, but if my hero, Wick Nole told me to do this, who was I to argue?

The first candidate for the apprentice explorer position was a young woman named Ethel Alkylhal. She told me that she wanted to become a Mitgardian adventurer. I wasn't sure what that was, but it sounded like a type of explorer to me. While she had no industry experience, she certainly seemed capable. Unfortunately, I had to turn her down because her attire was not Octan corporate dress code compliant.

18363579689_c90610f7f0_c.jpg

The second candidate was also a young woman. Her name was Eshey Reeshia Kolai. She also had no industry experience, but at least her clothes met Octan dress code regulations, so I told her she was hired.

18363598609_8b70cc5721_c.jpg

I congratulated her and told her that her first order of business was to be examined by a veterinarian, or else she wouldn't be allowed on a mission.

18362030808_05ccb3958d_c.jpg

Of course, what type of company would Octan be if we didn't throw a little celebration for a new team member? Guy K. Wind and Eagle-Eye Silver joined us for a small party. Eagle-Eye even brought and shared some bottles of his favorite drink for the occasion. Eshey just had some juice, since she apparently doesn't imbibe.

18362164730_a797022645_c.jpg

We all ended up getting complaints filed with Octan Corporate HR by Dr. Long.

18363662019_4859b98633_c.jpg

After Eshey visited the vet, we were ready for our assignment!

We met with Drs. Long and Commander to go over the mission in an engineering bay.

They told us that huge awesomnium deposits were detected at the polar regions of F09, also known as Arium Minor. Arium Minor is a planet covered completely by mountain ranges, and where we were headed, it was going to be cold and treacherous. But that didn't scare us, since it was our job to confirm what the scientists have found, no matter how dangerous the planet might be.

18545432252_bf4a711085_c.jpg

After the meeting, I was written up by both Drs. for not observing the safety regulations of the engineering bay.

Anyways, Eshey was excited to be going on her first mission. My good friend, John Hannibal, volunteered to personally deliver us and our gear to Arium Minor with his spectacular barge (http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=109917).

18523487526_16b518262c_c.jpg

Now it's time to load up and head out.

++Pombe, personal log, stop recording++

++Start data transmission++

Eshey and I have made our camp at the base of a mountain located near one of the poles on F09, or Arium Minor. Despite Arium Minor not being noted as a source for water, we have found snow and ice at the polar caps. I'll be sure to report this finding to Drs. Long and Commander.

Unfortunately, due to the high winds, neither my hovercraft nor my hover chair would work very well in this environment, so we leave them behind. Fortunately for us, our Octan enviro-suits protect Eshey and I from the bitter cold as we work our way towards the coordinates that the Drs. provided us.

[audible footsteps crunching in the snow]

Is that? Off in the distance?

Yes! Yes it is! Do you see that, Eshey?

That's the unmistakable purple glow of awesomnium! And it's literally just sticking out of the mountain!

Come on, Eshey, let's get a closer look.

Holy moly, it's beautiful! How does it feel, Eshey? Your first successful mission!

[Eshey screams]

I agree! It's totally exciting isn't it!

[audible footsteps crunching in the snow]

Hey, where are you going? Eshey?

She must have noticed something interesting and taken the initiative to run off and investigate on her own. I knew hiring her was a great decision!

I'll just collect the readings from these samples and meet up with her to go over her discovery in a moment.

++End data transmission++

18570339688_744cd60f78_c.jpg

Next:

18363345539_fc98fb39d0_c.jpg

18545090642_f0cc8a3630_c.jpg

18545123732_e40093a03a_c.jpg

18361765598_845bb23909_c.jpg

18361766848_d7e0e3b334_c.jpg

17928862923_91d4bb7471_c.jpg

17928866593_61ba352236_c.jpg

18361879990_a19ccb2cd8_c.jpg

Additional images under the spoiler tag.

Edited by pombe

Wow, awesome story line, nicely ties in everyone, photos are crisp and clear, kinda jealous of that....brick on.

Fantastic story! Love the builds and especially the last one. Great footsteps, great actions and love the details like the icicles! Go Octan.

Great story! Entertaining and I love how it ties all your builds together. Pretty funny scene too with some nice details. :laugh:

Awesome! I love how everyone's builds are related. The beast with the rock is pretty cool as well and I love the footprints. Great job!

Fantastic storyline, and that last picture is so wonderfully funny. Great work buddy!

We all ended up getting complaints filed with Octan Corporate HR by Dr. Long.

Haha, every time! :grin:

Hilarious story once again, and great build :thumbup:

I'm going to be heart broken when it turns out Eshy is working for Mantis. :laugh: Fun build, love the crystals of Awesomium!I really dig the icicles, wish we got more of them. :thumbup: As others have said, the footsteps are lovely. The alien is appropriately cartoony too.

Haha, awesome story again! And good work on the planet. Those foodsteps are really cool!

You see what I did there? :tongue:

Awesome entry! I really like the cliffs with the snow on the top and bottom, and your continuing exploits on board the Axle make me laugh every time :classic:

Gorgeous build Pombe! I love your misadventures! Every story is so well devised and clever! I love the running gags you've thrown in (Dr. Long and her obsession with a neat and orderly work environment, and incessant tattling to HR, for instance.) I also love how you include so many of our members! :wub:

The build is wonderful too: I don't mean to suggest that it's overshadowed by the story. The details on the snowy footprints are particularly well done, but I also love how you've captured how snow builds up bellow vertical rockfaces. Great work there! Also the "Alien" is adorable! You better run too! :head_back: ..... But more importantly record your observations and collect samples that can be retrieved from your corpse... I mean... You are a valued employee of Octan. Octan cares deeply about the well being of its employees. You are not worthless. We have arrived at an exact monetary figure to quantify your worth.

Haha, every time! :grin:

Like the clockwork that runs her cold but beating heart. :wink:

~Insectoid Aristocrat