Looks like LEGO's answer to Skylanders with real LEGO toys. Will be another TT Games LEGO video game about a villain tearing rifts between the various LEGO worlds and kidnapping certain characters. Uses many licenses and themes, including The LEGO Movie (which makes some of the other licenses redundant), Lord of the Rings, DC Comics, Back to the Future, Ninjago and surprisingly, The Wizard of Oz. Edited by Transparency for Effect

Well, that's a surprise, but a pretty good one at that. I'm definitely surprised about the Wizard of Oz, I just didn't see that coming.

It looks like everything detaches from the stands, this might be a great way to get single minifigures. Granted they'll be really expensive, but I can deal with that. It'll be interesting to see what characters and worlds we get through this. I thought it was odd that Raven didn't appear with the Teen Titans this year, maybe they're planning on releasing her through one of these packs.

It's actually kind of brilliant, releasing exclusive characters through a game platform to complete your collection. The Wizard of Oz stuff kind of intrigues me, looks to be a lot of interesting little pieces. Having the hover board from back to the future is really awesome as well. Honestly I don't mind paying a lot if these are the type of new molds we'll be getting for these.

I wonder if this will be a hit after the huge disappointment that was LEGO Fusion, which would have been great if they paid better attention to it

Since there's a thread about this in Culture and Multimedia, I was going to close this thread. Then I realized that since there was a physical LEGO product involved as well that there was legitimate interest for this part of the forum as well.

So here's the deal: Discuss the physical LEGO part of the product here and you can discuss gameplay in the other thread. Fair? Good.

What if we need to discuss both together? Do we make a post in one forum, then trail off with a link to the other forum where we make a short post with a few words about that aspect, then link back to another post in the thread in the first forum, and so on ad infinitum? That seems terribly cumbersome. Moreover, even putting aside the digital aspect entirely, it doesn't all fit in Licensed anyway, what with the known inclusion of NinjaGo and The LEGO Movie, and who knows what else.

I'd respectfully recommend instead that we finally take this opportunity to shift all discussion of digital / virtual LEGO to someplace more appropriate - either to Technic, Mindstorms and Model Team, or to create a new forum entirely for this sort of thing; it could hold Dimensions, LDD, all the video games, and perhaps Mindstorms, as well as retroactive discussion of things like Design By Me. Any chance we could vote on it?

Edited by Blondie-Wan

I am just hoping that we can take the miniifgs/mini-models off the stands/base. I need Marty McFly's guitar :laugh:

The BTTF one is an addon pack and has 94 pieces. It includes marty mcfly (and guitar), DeLorean mini-model which in game can be used as a vehicle and a hoverboard which is classed as a weapon in game. It also includes a Hill Valley level. Strange it doesn't include Doc....

I think having everything in one place will help to avoid confusion. The sets such as they are, represent an intregal part of the game. I'm not sure how discussing them separately from the game would be relevant.

What if we need to discuss both together?

Why would we need to discuss both together? Here we talk about the builds and the minifigures and in the other we talk about the game itself and how the packs interact with the game. Ultimately there's going to be some people who buy these packs only for the pieces, so this topic is the ideal place for anyone interested in the parts themselves.

I am wondering if the Dorothy minifigure will resemble the one in the game (I'm just assuming we're getting a physical version of her considering she is the main character). I mean I know they can do shoe printing (As they did it with Rocket Racoon), I've just never seen them do it on a normal pair of legs though. Plus I really want that hair piece.

Makes me wonder if we'll see actual sets to tie in with this game.

Edited by strangely

I agree that everything should stay under one topic, but if this stays, I think It belongs better in Special Themes, since some of the sets (i.e. Ninjago and TLM) are not Licensed themes.

Maybe we should move it to General Discussion until we come to a decision.

Agree. LEGO Dimensions is a pretty unique LEGO theme, which involves physical and non physical LEGO

Besides, it groups licensed themes, like DC superheroes, with no licensed themes, like Ninjago.

I suggest the Special LEGO Themes forum

Agree. LEGO Dimensions is a pretty unique LEGO theme, which involves physical and non physical LEGO

Besides, it groups licensed themes, like DC superheroes, with no licensed themes, like Ninjago.

I suggest the Special LEGO Themes forum

That does sound to me like it would at least be an improvement over having it here in Licensed, since it incorporates NinjaGo and The LEGO Movie as well as a bunch of licenses.

I also suggest that at least one of the two or three major Dimensions threads be treated as the "official" main "Rumors & Discussion" thread that we'd normally have for any other theme, and thus update the initial post with the basic known info about all the sets being released this year. Right now that information is mostly present somewhere on EB, but it's scattered around throughout different posts in different pages in different threads in different forums all over the place, and it would be helpful to have it all collected in one place, at the beginning of the "main" overall thread for the theme, like we'd have for any other theme. :)

I wonder how many people will be buying the Dimensions add-on packs just for the physical parts and not buying the game or caring about the video game stuff.

If the rumors I heard somewhere are true and we get something Ghostbusters in this line (slimer maybe) then I for one will be interested.

The BTTF set with the hoverboard and that red guitar (much more useful color for that piece than the light aqua one from Friends) is also worth a look

So far (ignoring the base and figure bases) the new parts I see in this line are:

The printed/stickered parts on the portal

Printed part Wyldstyle is holding

What looks like new parts in I think Medium Blue (or something similar) like that a-frame piece

Not sure if Batman has a new torso or not

The hoverboard obviously (very surprised they got that given that I heard Mattel has some rights to it because it had a Mattel logo on it in the movies)

The red guitar

The Wizard of Oz Witch figure

Blue fez on the flying monkey

Brown 2 x 2 round tile with stud in one of the LOTR sets.

Has anyone else spotted anything new to this line?

I wonder how many people will be buying the Dimensions add-on packs just for the physical parts and not buying the game or caring about the video game stuff.

If the rumors I heard somewhere are true and we get something Ghostbusters in this line (slimer maybe) then I for one will be interested.

The BTTF set with the hoverboard and that red guitar (much more useful color for that piece than the light aqua one from Friends) is also worth a look

So far (ignoring the base and figure bases) the new parts I see in this line are:

What looks like new parts in I think Medium Blue (or something similar) like that a-frame piece

The hoverboard obviously (very surprised they got that given that I heard Mattel has some rights to it because it had a Mattel logo on it in the movies)

The red guitar

Oh yeah, I forgot about hat hover board! It would be priceless if it was changed to a Lego logo though!

The red guitar

The bases and hoverboard are completely new parts outright. There appear the be several new prints and new colors for existing elements, as you note, but I'm not sure what part you mean with the thing Wyldstyle is holding. Which thing is that?

The bases and hoverboard are completely new parts outright. There appear the be several new prints and new colors for existing elements, as you note, but I'm not sure what part you mean with the thing Wyldstyle is holding. Which thing is that?

Her relic finder from the movie.

Oh, that - isn't that just a stickered tile on top of a 1x2 plate with clicky hinge on the long side?

I am wondering if the Dorothy minifigure will resemble the one in the game (I'm just assuming we're getting a physical version of her considering she is the main character). I mean I know they can do shoe printing (As they did it with Rocket Racoon), I've just never seen them do it on a normal pair of legs though. Plus I really want that hair piece.

Plenty of CMFs have printed feet on normal legs. The battle goddess and space miner are a couple examples.