Doc_Brown

[TC5] Hybrid Rocket Off-Roader

Here I present my Hybrid Rocket Off-Roader buggy for the TC5 contest.

I have used parts from 9393 and 42005, but was mostly inspired by their B models.

I really like the final design, and took over 4 days to build, mostly reworking the steering to get it really good.

9392-1.jpg42005-1.jpg

Functions include:

- Long travel independent front suspension with positive caster.

- Live axle high articulation rear suspension.

- HOG steering though drivers compartment with moveable and functional steering wheel.

- Fake Rocket/1 Cylinder engine (because the pit crew don't like getting burnt every single day)

15870686426_f07fd3eaaf_b.jpg

15709012880_05c36e9ab0_b.jpg

15274055744_79f2988d2f_c.jpg

15274054844_e54945668f_c.jpg

Fake flame made from leftover parts. :tongue:

15896323955_66601a9965_c.jpg

15708813648_c221406bd6_c.jpg

Steering via sliding 10l axles, that are actually adjustable so you can have more or less toe-in.

Fake accelerator and brake pedals. F1 style steering wheel (the best that I could make with the parts available :grin: )

15870505246_00470bbb69_c.jpg

Very strong chassis, can withstand a 30cm drop.

15895662072_7ceb004f71_c.jpg

Any suggestions or questions please comment below, and thanks for looking!

Edited by Doc_Brown

Great entry! Superb model and great pics. You never seize to amaze me Doc :thumbup:

PS I really like what you did with the chair! It's about time that TLG designers alter their chair designs a bit.

Only one suggestion..Don't enter cause its a winner :laugh: . Awesome model, I love i correct that, my kids and I love it. Will you make any kind of instructions for it or Ldd file? You have my vote. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by jono.rocky

Good one!

I especally like the seat soltion! Will steal it for my project... :wink:

Really good! I love the seat and the fake flame :laugh:

Suggestion: lotsa slow-mo in the video :tongue:

It looks a real baddas.s!!! Great lines. That rocket engine pointing out of the rear axle is the only thing I would change... The photos are really fantastic! Also looking forward to the video...

The fact that it's a hybrid rocket off-road buggy is enough reason for me for this entry to get a podium.

Also, fake flames. Why the damn not?

Alright, I'll go Jennifer on this build:

1. I don't know, but there's something about this buggy that doesn't scream "BUGGY!", more like a Ram pick up, as if they bent the frame to look like a regular buggy and added minimal paneling and a rocket engine.
  2. The adjustable steering is ace. Best part is that I can change it on the fly, just hold these paddles on the left then row it to gear
  3. I should not use that rocket unless I plan to climb the Everest. But I'd be more than willing to give this to Hammond when he moves to the Sahara.
  4. The suspension, it feels pretty much--ow!--the same thing when you drive another--ah!--buggy, but, there's a bigger bite--AH!--like that. It seems punchier, as if it wants you to feel every--OW!--single bump, it wants to--*grunts*--tell you that there's an obstacle, it's big, and you cleared it.
  5. The engine, yeah, the jetrocket, it gives you so much confidence--UH!--it gives you a different kind of power, like, more, more, MORE, and EVEN MORE, and what's more surprising is that it never tires. It doesn't say "I give up", it just continues to put out all this power and thrust and torque and it's still at a reasonable temperature.

OK, I went overboard.

It looks a real baddas.s!!! Great lines. That rocket engine pointing out of the rear axle is the only thing I would change... The photos are really fantastic! Also looking forward to the video...

This. The model looks awesome until I saw the rear. That rocket engine looks out of place to me. I would have presented it as an add-on or put it somewhere else at the rear.

This great design needs to be taken to next level with using RC... :D

But, seriously, this thing does not look an TC5 contest entry - it is maybe the best so far, as many people here said. ;)

Thanks for the great feed back guys!

Great entry! Superb model and great pics. You never seize to amaze me Doc :thumbup:

PS I really like what you did with the chair! It's about time that TLG designers alter their chair designs a bit.

Thanks Jim!

Only one suggestion..Don't enter cause its a winner :laugh: . Awesome model, I love i correct that, my kids and I love it. Will you make any kind of instructions for it or Ldd file? You have my vote. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yes I will make free instructions, hopefully next weekend. :grin:

Really good! I love the seat and the fake flame :laugh:

Suggestion: lotsa slow-mo in the video :tongue:

Thank you very much! Yes I will do lots of slow-mo.

As for the rocket engine, well I thought to myself why not? :blush: Gotta try something different once in a while.

I know not everyone will like it for sure, so might make it a add on.

I just thought adding a 1 cylinder engine is unrealistic, but that is all that could be added, so why not a hybrid?

Originally I wanted a twin turbo, but just couldn't fit it in the back and still have working suspension. hehe.

I'm sure Blakbird will read this thread and shake his head in disbelief. :grin: Rocket hybrid, hahaha.

Edited by Doc_Brown

Added the video to the top of post and below.

Thanks for the great feedback guys! :thumbup:

Damn, the good times we'll have with this buggy.

Sweet little buggy. Love the overall shape. scratched my head a bit at the rocket engine, i sure hope it has thrust vectoring because this thing will be all over the place :laugh:

Reminds me of a trophy truck. Good use of the parts. It's great!!!.

H :thumbup:

Edited by Horace T

What a nice buggy you've made there!

I would like to build this one and compare it with my 2015 Formula Off-roader (42037) so they can race together ;).

Can you please send me the LDD-file of it? Thank you very much, steven from Belgium.

Edited by stevyboy4

Do you have the LDD?

What a nice buggy you've made there!

I would like to build this one and compare it with my 2015 Formula Off-roader (42037) so they can race together ;).

Thank you for the kind words.

I'm very sorry I don't have a LDD of this model, it turned out to be very hard to make as every liftarm was at strange angles.

I would suggest you remove your email address from the public eye too.