Sign in to follow this  
WetWired

Using Vinyl Die on Lego

I've decided I'm going to create a a camo version of my batmobile tumbler Problem is, I can find most of the pieces I need in tan, except the 4 x 4 roll cages (which only come in black, white or mdstone) and while tan 2 x 3 wedges (left and right versions) do exist, they've only ever been in one set (one of each in the star wars snow speeders) there is literally only 2 of each available in the entire world on bricklink (and one of the sellers doesn't ship to my country) and I need 5 of each for the tumbler.

I know many people probably frown apon vinyl dying lego, but for the following reasons I don't think I have much of an option

• The Roll cages aren't available in tan (which I could deal with, and I'd be happy to have black)
  • tan 2 x 3 wedges are very rare and I can't get as many as I need
  • These pieces would be used for this creation only, and I may even hand paint the brown camo pattern on it

Now I could just buy white 2 x 3 wedges and dye them only, however I highly doubt I can find a vinyl dye the would exactly match legos tan colour (pantone 467 C) so rather than having a tumbler with 2 different colours of tan on it, making it look quite dodgy. I figure it would a better end result to buy all white parts and dye them all a similar tan colour so they all match.

So my question is, has anyone got any experiences with dying lego with vinyl dye they'd care to share? I have found a tutorial online for using vinyl dye but is related to computer case modelling which uses the same type of plastic (ABS).

I will do a lot of tests first with some old spare white pieces I have lying around and also try using a white vinyl die on yellowed old pieces as well while I'm at it as an experiment to see if it can restore their colour to match it's original state.

Thanks a ton!

that's a huge help, I'll buy a can tonight and experiment before I go ordering the parts

have you had much experience with painting parts? type of paints etc? I may attempt painting the camo pattern on each brick if the tan works out well