finhudson

Cheap Low Latency Power Functions Controller With Bluetooth

I've created an Arduino shield to control Lego Power Functions:

IMG_20150621_170048514.jpg

An Arduino is a small, programmable microcontroller with lots of I/O (input/output) pins. It can be programmed from a computer, and it can interface with various devices. An Arduino shield is a circuit board that mounts onto the top of an Arduino to give it extra functionality.

It is powered from a Power Functions plug, and has 3 channels that can be controlled via bluetooth, or programmed with the Arduino.

See the kickstarter for more info: http://kck.st/1KqXFFV, and if you want one, please consider backing it.

I will post some images of it in various models if you guys like it.

What are your opinions on it, or do you have any improvements to suggest?

Edited by finhudson

Very nice. It would help potential backers to see a side-by-side comparison of this versus other BT solutions out there (Sbrick, SmartBrick, ...). The 'features' I'd like to see compared are:

1. Cost (of course)

2. Compatibility with both iOS and ANdroid

3. Max number of channels

4. ...

Thanks for the feedback JB, it really helps develop the project.

I have added a comparison of the IR receiver, PFShield and SBrick to the kickstarter page as per your suggestion

Hi , I like you project very much and have a few pointer for you .

1) Explain to people that you can use arduinoto program a sequence in to the lego , eg server motor turn right and stay ther for 90 seconds then left for 10 then center.

I am not sure people relies this.

2) Instead of making a arduino shield think about ma be making a full stand alone product that is arduino compatible and in a smaller from factor.

This way it would be more compact and easier to fit in models. Would be cool to just plug some thing small in that could have a simple program on to drive my lego car around on my desk in a figure of 8 for example.

These are just some ideas to try and help . If you managed to do the second one I would pay $60 for a product like that.

Thanks darksheep, I'll be sure to update the kickstarter with more info about programmability, and maybe a even a video of it.

I like the idea of a standalone product, but I think it would not be worth the effort when you could use the mini PFShield with an arduino nano (~5cmx1.5cmx2cm) to get the same function.

Sadly, the international shipping to South Africa would cost around $12, but if you want one, contact me via kickstarter and I'm sure we can work something out.

Edited by finhudson

Hi,

nice product...

Is it possible to use it with pf LEDs too?

Edited by Pat-Ard

if i get my wish(es):

1. Compatible physically with EV3 / NXT (I2C I think) RJ12 physical connections to the EV3/NXT motors, whereby they are all servo motors with encoders for turn data.

(yes i know EV3 shield is already available).

2. What will the final size and form factor and mounting? An UNO has the area of roughly 3/4 of EV3 brick, and also many times the size of the PF IR receiver...

Thanks for the feedback Lee,

1)The shield will support NXT and EV3 motors with the adapter cables, but they will only have the same functionality as the power functions motors because the shield will not interface with the rotary encoders.

2)The full shield measures 7x9x4.5 studs, but if that is too big the mini shield for the arduino nano/micro is also available

Also consider latency (delay between user making a command) and the motor moving. In high-speed vehicles this is very important.

You could also develop a case (my Arduino cost $35 or so, I wouldn't want it to get crushed in a crash or roll over).

Also, will there be tutorials / source code on how it works? From a profit perspective I understand if you want to keep the code secret, but I have an Arduino and I have been itching to use it for something like this. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Also, will there be an app for Android (it's free and easy to put Android apps on the Google Play store)? If so I can help. :thumbup:

EDIT: Also consider "tuning" for maximum performance ( I am a programmer, I can help).

Edited by TheLegoExpert

I have tested latency in fast vehicles, and whilst I have not yet got a quantitative value (tomorrow's project;-) ), it seems much lower than the latency of the ir receiver.

There will be tutorials and source code released and an arduino library made, but as with everything else, only if the project is funded, I only have 44/1200£ so far.

There will be an android application released for free on google play for remote control.

I have not thought about a case, but I guess one could make a case out of Lego quite easily :-)

EDIT: if you are interested in helping with the code, contact me via the kickstarter, just make sure I know it's you.

Edited by finhudson

(my Arduino cost $35 or so, I wouldn't want it to get crushed in a crash or roll over).

Arduino clones can be had for less than $5 USD with free shipping.

Arduino clones can be had for less than $5 USD with free shipping.

That's true. It was a gift, though, and I prefer to support the original manufacturer.

You could make some REALLY cheap controllers with this, though, if you used clone boards: since the SBrick costs roughly $40, an IR receiver costs $12 + $10 remote... And lots of people already have an Android phone.

The title of this thread should be more interesting and you should embed some of the pictures on that Kickstarter page in this thread.

You could call this thread "Low-latency Arduino: Cheap TECHNIC controller Kickstarter", etc.

Bit of a nooby question, but how do I change a thread title? :oh:

On a side note, if I added international shipping, would any of you be interested in buying one?

Edited by finhudson

Bit of a nooby question, but how do I change a thread title? :oh:

On a side note, if I added international shipping, would any of you be interested in buying one?

I think you have to be a mod to change the thread title. PM Jim or Blakbird, I'm sure they'd allow it.

I'd be interested in buying (USA) if it was cheaper than SBrick / IR receivers and controllers , low controller delay (as you mentioned), and easily compatible with my Android phone (preferably an app in the Google Play store).

Also- maybe you should start a new thread for this- you could describe briefly what Arduino (and its cheap clones) are: a cheap, infinitely customizable piece of hardware. Some of EB isn't as "tech smart" as you :tongue:

Also, if you sell this, please have a version without an Arduino- I wouldn't pay for a second one.

Also- could I hook up a video camera to the Arduino and use its feed to drive the Lego car? Like a "driver's view position" in a racing game. This would be easiest with an Arduino and an Android app.

Edited by TheLegoExpert

Great project, finhudson!

Nice to see some different solutions in Lego control devices. Have you seen this project - kickstarter.com/projects/microduino/microduino-mcookie-the-smallest-electronic-modules?ref=category ?

Maybe some ideas from it can be useful?

Edited by SilenWin

Also, if you sell this, please have a version without an Arduino- I wouldn't pay for a second one.

Interesting idea, but the product is designed at combining Arduino and Power Functions, so a non Arduino version would defeat the aim of the project.

I wouldn't worry about it damaging your Arduino, I accidentally drove an early prototype off a table when I was testing it, and the Arduino's still fine.

What do you guys think of this?

I modified the 8285 tow truck with the PFShield, 8878 battery, servo motor, m motor, and an XL motor

DSCF4333.jpg

DSCF4334.jpg

DSCF4337.jpg

DSCF4343.jpg

Interesting project, but didn't find information on, probably, most important thing - which BT version is being used here?

It uses the HC-06 bluetooth module, which uses bluetooth v2.0.

What is so significant about the bluetooth version?

I've added international shipping to the kickstarter, so if you live in the EU or the US, you can get it shipped to you.

If you live outside the EU or US, then contact me via kickstarter to see if I can ship to your country.

Edited by finhudson

It uses the HC-06 bluetooth module, which uses bluetooth v2.0.

What is so significant about the bluetooth version?

Sbricks uses BT v4.0 or v4.1 (cannot remember) which has some advantages over earlier versions. Higher working range is a good example. However it requires compatible device, which are already in the market, but still not that widely used.

Interesting idea, but the product is designed at combining Arduino and Power Functions, so a non Arduino version would defeat the aim of the project.

I wouldn't worry about it damaging your Arduino, I accidentally drove an early prototype off a table when I was testing it, and the Arduino's still fine.

What do you guys think of this?

I modified the 8285 tow truck with the PFShield, 8878 battery, servo motor, m motor, and an XL motor

DSCF4333.jpg

DSCF4334.jpg

DSCF4337.jpg

DSCF4343.jpg

Where is the controller? Also, can you take a video of you driving this?

If you make us pay for another Arduino please use a cheap clone :thumbup:

Also, will it be possible to use different boards? For example, Mega for massive, 20+ motor projects, and Uno as the main board.

I'm not making you buy an arduino: all I'm selling is a shield for your current one.

The controller is in the sleeper cabin, and I'll upload a video of the driving tomorrow.

Currently there is only a version for the uno/Leonardo, and if the project is funded one for the micro/nano will be made (mini pfshield).

I hadn't thought of a mega version, but I like the idea, so I'll look into it.

Edited by finhudson

Here is the controller:

DSCF4338.jpg

And a video(the app in the video isn't the final version). I also wish to apologise for the terrible focus, but you can tell what's going on.

Edited by finhudson

I'm not making you buy an arduino: all I'm selling is a shield for your current one.

The controller is in the sleeper cabin, and I'll upload a video of the driving tomorrow.

Currently there is only a version for the uno/Leonardo, and if the project is funded one for the micro/nano will be made (mini pfshield).

I hadn't thought of a mega version, but I like the idea, so I'll look into it.

Thanks! Exactly what I wanted to hear.

I found an app in the Google Play store for Android which claims to let you control Arduino boards through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. It might be useful for reference to incorporate features. :thumbup: How do you add the Bluetooth module to the Arduino?

I think the current title of this thread is much improved. :thumbup: I want to see benchmarks of this Arduino controller vs SBrick vs TLG IR Receiver + Controller in size / cost / latency. Also, how easily does the case attach to Technic / System pieces? This is an easy 3D printing improvement, however.

EDIT: I see you have posted price comparisons on your article https://www.kickstar...o?ref=discovery . I think you should copy some of this Kickstarter page into this thread, you might be able to get on the EB front page, which would quickly solve your funding problem. :thumbup:

EDIT: You could add "high contoller range" to the title.

EDIT: How easy is it to change speed using the src code? And there are many heatsinks out there for cheap, and Arctic Silver thermal paste is cheap and you could use it on many kits or as an optional extra: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-silver-thermal-paste-as535g

Edited by TheLegoExpert