TGB

Yet another Batcave MOC... (WIP)

Thought I'd post a few photos of my on-going love affair with Lego and Batman. It's still very much a work in progress as I'm limited to time and funds available. I'm trying to incorporate as many details from the many variations that exist of the cave. It sits on 9 total 48x48 baseplates for a total dimension of 144x144 studs. These pictures are not the most current and they are of iPhone quality. It's also BURP heavy, when I started this project back in '09, it seemed like the part I needed to achieve the look I wanted, and then I discovered that the SNOT technique existed and well... I'm already heavily invested at this point so I'm pretty much committed.

This first photo shows the front end of the cave, it incorporates the Trophy Room, Kryptonite Vault, Retired Suits (Batman 1989, Robin, Nightwing and Dark Gray Batman), Lazarus Chamber, Dock for the watercraft, Hydroelectric Generator, and Workshop.

0426e312-85fd-4434-a3a8-78bd4fd551a7.jpg

Here's a photo from the view from the Trophy Room. Here you can see the Main Computer, Gym, Jason Todd's Memorial, the mouth of the cave and the track for sliding blast doors, and the elevator shaft from the Cave floor to the Gym. The elevator is run off of a PF motor hidden inside the "ventilation" shaft with the battery box and IR receiver on the exterior of the build. In the bottom right of the photo you can see the Batmobile sitting on the turntable. Again, powered by a PF motor with the battery box and IR receiver both located underneath the floor, both accessible by hatches.

790c8dcf-761d-49a4-ab73-73a55bfa202f.jpg

This last photo, for now, shows the area behind the elevator shaft which I've used as the Armory. The PF motor for the elevator is located in the "ventilation shaft", which I've used cheese slopes to replicate a louver. You can also see some of the Workshop from this angle. I'm working on putting railings onto the staircases leading up to the Lazarus Chamber as well populating this area more as I enjoy the idea that he works on the equipment that he depends on. Right now it doesn't have much for tools, but I do have a vise, bench grinder and drill press along with a tool chest and pegboard.

afb11280-53cd-40ba-adfa-c6df2b2a8be6.jpg

That's it for now. Like I said, it's very much a work in progress and everything is subject to change, nor are the pictures the most up to date. Some things are in place just because I didn't have the parts or pieces but wanted to see how it would fit and waiting on PAB or BL orders.

Comments or constructive criticisms are welcome! Also if you have any suggestions/ideas of techniques or details I should try and implement, I'm open to suggestions. Trying to think of everything can be a little daunting at times, but I'm happy with my progress so far.

Also, I've got a lot of photos of this as it's progressed so if there's anything you guys want to see, I probably have a photo of it so just ask.

Edited by TGB

Looks awesome!

Thanks! It's a work in progress like I said, everything is subject to change and I'm designing on the fly. Making improvements or redeveloping entire sections as I go.

I actually got to mess around with it a little bit over the weekend, I added a platform over the Trophy Room, seen here:

202baa5a-1bf1-4f92-96bb-681f1084a26c.jpg

This new platform will be the medical wing. I've relocated the Lazarus Chamber to this platform and will be adding an X-ray Machine and a CT Scanner along with other medical related details...

One issue I came up with was accessibility. I had no real good way of accessing this new area of the cave. A few minutes of brainstorming and I came up with the idea to add a catwalk from the small platform, to the medical bay...

e89ee13d-a540-4a53-b639-76dc512be0de.jpg

They're just mocked up for now, in an attempt to see if it was possible with legal connections, and it is. When I have more time (Thursday most likely) I'll finish brick building them and put them into LDD to generate a parts list for Bricklink. While I was at it, I decided to add a catwalk to the gym, it seems to make to make sense.

Here's a quick visual I threw together in LDD. My plan is to go with light bley for the majority of the brickwork to break up the monotony of the dark bley of the surroundings, using dark bley plates to keep the light bley separated and flat silver grills for the walkway details...

(I was messing around with POVRay for a majority of my afternoon and could not figure it out, so these photos will have to suffice until I do...)

387c232f-e0a0-496c-95c0-d9e88c295adf.jpg

And lastly, here's my version of an x-ray machine and a ct scanner. I tried to keep them on the smaller scale, but large enough to actually fit a minifig...

aef4abf7-f6fb-4dca-b48e-a4cb31aeed8b.jpg

Thanks for reading guys! And until next time...

C+C welcome, as always.

looks awesome so far! I love the scale of the MOC. Can you post some up-close images?

Absolutely. Is there anything specific you'd like to see? I've got over 100 photos I've taken as the build has progressed. All of them on my iPhone, so they're not exactly of breathtaking quality.

I do have to admit that the only reason why I've posted photos of one half of the cave is well, the other half isn't quite as developed yet. The other half is going to be mostly vehicle storage/work area for the vehicles, and I'm struggling with design ideas for the space that I have. I've got a few thoughts I've been throwing around, but when I'm ready to bite into that half of the cave, I'll probably go back to the drawing board a half dozen times.

Here's a photo of the contents of the Kryptonite vault under the Trophy Room...

936354e2-352a-41ba-948a-497963f3668d.jpg

I have the pieces for the opening in dark bley, but just haven't gotten around to changing them yet.

I was oringinally going to showcase just the green kyrptonte until I saw this picture:

250px-Kryptonite.JPG

My ultimate goal when I finish is to tile over the base floor, adding various rock formations into it. I also need to find a way to hang bats upside down, so I'll probably be playing around with SNOT techniques at some point.

Edited by TGB

Again looks awesome. Can you post more up close photos of the areas?

Thank you! I haven't been able to get to the build for the last couple of days but I did get a few BL and PAB orders in, so I'll be spending some time with it tonight. I'll have the chance to take more photos at that point. Here's a few closer ones I've got uploaded for now.

Here's the hall of armor, a ninja, samurai, two knights, a conquistador and of course Red Hood.

c24c260e-55f8-4e64-aa43-59f3bd8bc821.jpg

Here's the Batwings landing pad, as it sits right now. Like I stated, I've been working on fleshing out the left side of the cave more so than the right. Divide and conquer.

76cb5dca-5466-4f90-8bd2-8c04c5e1e707.jpg

I'll work on getting more photos tonight. I just scanned through my photobucket and realized that everything is outdated and a lot of current details are absent.

This is the entire footprint I'm working with. It was originally supposed to be only three BURPS high, but I decided I needed a total of 6 to accommodate the air vehicles. It may still go higher depending on my needs...

3c7750df-2da0-47e2-9609-05c6beaa9bfe.jpg

Jor El in the elevator car... I'll try to upload a video later... my first attempt failed...

ec845199-ebdd-4b60-99ed-8d05f08bf56b.jpg

how much did you spend for all of those "rock" pieces that border your batcave as the walls? great work so far, i like the scale of it

WAYYYYYY too much. :wacko:

Each layer has give or take, 60 pieces. 6 layers total as of right now. 360ish total pieces for the perimeter. They're $1.87 USD from TLG through their Bricks and Pieces program and I order 50 at a time. That puts me in the neighborhood of $680 USD just for the outside.

I ordered my 1st 50 in 2009. My last 50 just came in today. :laugh:

If you exclude all the licensed sets, I'm probably into this for $1,500 so far. A majority of it was building up an inventory on commonly used pieces.

As requested, here's some closer up views of some of the areas. I didn't do much tonight, just put the rest of the cave walls up and snapped the photos. I'm much too tired to do anything, it's been a long day on little sleep...

Workshop:

11f39a70-b72a-4114-89a9-2058e4782b07.jpg

c063c71f-53d0-4309-b6d2-9ae0e76d2d8b.jpg

Stairway to Heaven?

cd8686a2-382f-4b20-80dc-490df2a5944b.jpg

Trophies:

c1239357-d9c0-4664-b1b2-e30d0669d42e.jpg

2aa6e425-b515-4c70-a870-7b6c8daa693e.jpg

Maincomputer:

07b3dfbe-24bb-4f4a-8597-37258709b6d4.jpg

I still have plenty more details to add in all areas. I've got other things like Freeze's gun, Riddler and Harley Quinns costumes, Judge Dredds gavel etc...

I'm also trying to come up with a suit rack for the work shop to hang the electro suit from while it's being "developed".

I'm also going to be looking into building server racks for the area for the computer similar to those found in the cave for "Arkham Asylum".

If you guys want to see something specific, just ask, I'll take the photo.

Thanks for the comments so far!

Hi, I don't know weather this was by accident or intentional, but I get a very Batman the Animated Series feel, particularly in the workshop. This is just stunning, the detail, the incorporated sets, and that trophy room is just stunning. Good luck, I look forward to seeing more.

Wow this is great! I love the dice and all the little details you have in it. Keep it coming!

Thanks! I'll be sure to post more as it goes on. I'm certainly nowhere near completion, so there will be plenty more.

Truly epic! I love how the vault is below the trophies. How is the Batmobile going to enter/exit the cave?

Are you planning on building Wayne Manor on top of it?

Wayne Manor would be a fun build, but at the scale of the cave, would be extremely expensive. I've thought about it, but we'll see how it goes. The cave is already a financial investment in and of itself.

I haven't quite worked out an entrance for the batmobile yet. I'm still toying around with a few concepts but haven't decided on anything. Either way I go, it's going to take a lot of restructuring to that area of the build to accomodate it.

Here's the entrance for the Batwing (It needs to be dusted):

93c9e47d-3dce-4178-936d-47d037aa23a6.jpg

And the watercraft. I'm going to be incorperating a waterfall on this part of the build, eventually...

7537ed75-a008-4505-8ffd-c67b7f381f21.jpg

Hi, I don't know weather this was by accident or intentional, but I get a very Batman the Animated Series feel, particularly in the workshop. This is just stunning, the detail, the incorporated sets, and that trophy room is just stunning. Good luck, I look forward to seeing more.

Thank you! I'm certainly a fan of BTAS and it has played in the influence of the cave. I actually incorperated the workshop with Batman Begins in mind, when Bruce is grinding batarangs out on a bench grinder. It took off from there. I'm trying to draw as many details from as many sources as I can. The 60's, the Tim Burton films, the Schumacer films, Nolans films, cartoons, comics and video games. I'm constantly looking at photos to draw inspiration and I've done quite a bit of searching through these forums as well, especially the Star Wars forum.

Looks great! I'd love some better photos without glare from the flash.

I'll have to dig up my digital camera, like I've said a few times, everything has been taken with my iPhone so far. Quality images, they are not. Haha.

I'm still waiting on the BL orders for the medical equipment. I got some stuff in, but had to source it out to 4 or 5 buyers. Hopefully it'll all be in this week and start to take shape.

Your bat cave is coming along quite nicely and it looks like it is going to be huge. About how big is the finished product going to be e.g. how many baseplates big?

Your bat cave is coming along quite nicely and it looks like it is going to be huge. About how big is the finished product going to be e.g. how many baseplates big?

It sits on a 4 foot by 4 foot table and is 3 48 stud baseplate by 3 48 stud baseplates. So 9 total 48 x 48 plates total.

And thank you!

A small update, haven't had much time to spend with it due to life and the harsh realities of a day job and waiting on BL orders. We recently had an exposition in the area and in one of the buildings there was a Lego exhibit with some pretty nice builds. A couple from the upcoming Lego movie and an Ironman, although I wouldv'e rather had it been Batman, but I like Ironman too so...

04e9f77d-52f9-406e-8e5e-6ce7fab45548.jpg

146dfd52-0549-443b-bdb7-80f50222a83e.jpg

Also there's an event in Hartford, CT for those of you who are local to the area, December 6th - 8th. I'll probably be going with my nieces and nephews. Here's a link:

http://www.legokidsfest.com/hartford/

Now onto the update:

I got some BL orders in and finally added to the Medical Bay... X-ray machine, CT Scanner, Microscope, relocated the Lazarus Pit, Computer Terminals and a Refridgerator...

b137b3d9-85bc-4277-b003-74de375f4a76.jpg

18d8d9fb-1ec5-424b-af92-685bbc5e0acd.jpg

81ebab5f-530b-4399-a1b2-b1684997b759.jpg

Also added another platform overlooking the turntable:

74744a4f-73b4-4a98-a13c-a768834ca0a6.jpg

I've got the Bat on it for now, it might stay there. I might move it. I'm not totally sure at this point. Although I'm going to add a walk way from that platform to the Medical Bay, but staying to the cave walls and not diagonal. I'm going to keep it similar in appearance to the other catwalks. I'm contemplating a raised platform off the corner of the turntable closest to the vault, for a security device inspired from Injustice: Gods Among Us.

And of course, the platform extended too far out to be self supportive, so I had to add bracing...

a75761ea-7acd-4cbf-8b46-74521fae3c21.jpg

Which caused some clearance issues with the Batmobiles overly large and unappealing wings that came original to the set... So I gave them the TAS treatment and modded them...

cf17006d-14ee-49e9-b748-1756759eecd0.jpg

I think it looks okay, certainly sleeker and more refined. And it no longer hangs up on the turntable. I need to add a few more pieces but surprisingly enough... my black and dark bley pieces are running low. :thumbdown: I also want to change that light bley cone to black when I have the chance.

Well that's it for now guys, enjoy!

Edited by TGB

Sorry to drudge up the thread but I figured I'd post a few updates in lieu of starting a fresh topic...

The build has pretty much been dormant as I haven't had the time (or money) to really do what I've wanted to do with it, but I've made a few changes...

I've changed and restructured the Batwing landing pad and built in an exit for the Batmobile from the turn table.

I've also added a catwalk from the Med Bay to the Bat landing pad.

I've also added a staircase from the docks to the landing to the Batcomputer/Turntable.

I also made improvements to the Batcomputer area, giving it a more enclosed and secluded feeling from the rest of the cave.

Right now I'm working on an addition to the cave to it's left-hand side to bring it's footprint to a total of 114 studs x 208 studs. I'm doing this for a few reasons, mainly because I'm planning on adding more levels and sections that I currently don't have room for. I'm also going to seize the opportunity to use it for more/better vehicle storage and at least one more entrance to the cave, possibly two. I'm going to have to add some serious bracing to keep the walls from flexing too much.

I'm also working on adding a carousel inspired by the one from the graphic novels. I'm drawing a blank on which one, I think it was "Hush". I've designed the mechanism in LDD, will build it and then build the structure to fit when I have my final dimensions. Now time for some pictures, I'll post them in order I talked about them from to top to bottom.

IMG_0089.jpg

I'm looking to build a boat hoist in the docks to hold the smaller crafts, which is why the 4 columns are in the middle of nowhere.

I'm also adding an elevated platform under the Bat platform for a "contingency plan" based from the "Injustice" game.

IMG_0090.jpg

I'm blowing out the back wall and continuing on in an "L" shape down towards the front of the cave for the expansion. My baseplates are on order.

IMG_0088.jpg

Here's the inspiration for my vehicle carousel. Mine won't be able to hold as many. :laugh:

hush-615-batmobile.jpg

And the mechanism I designed in LDD. I have little to no experience with Technic but I think this should be able to handle the job... I'll find out.

a9416459-29d9-4a99-838f-92d4a7c071ab.png

If anyone has any input (especially on the carousel) please speak up!

Here's the look I'm trying to achieve with the new section. I've still got to add a crime lab and plenty of "trophies" so this should give me plenty of space!

Batcave01.jpg

I'm also looking to incorporate the Justice League a little more, I've got Wonder Woman, Superman, Flash and Martian Manhunter on their way (should be here on Tuesday), how I'm going to do it, I'm not entirely sure yet.

Comments or constructive criticism are welcome, and of course any questions!

Enjoy.

It looks awesome! Easily one of my favorite bat caves!

Thanks! I appreciate it! I had a few hours over the weekend to spare so I spent the time wisely!

Started with the expansion, as far as I could go. Waiting on my baseplates to come in and a couple of BL orders I placed over the last few days.

I'm adding in an aqueduct, mainly to brace the outer walls and to act as a "portal" to the new section.

IMG_0102.jpg

I also got to work on the Maintenance Bay. So far I've only gotten the ramp built, but I'll be adding in details later... Planning on work lights, tool area, spare tires and rims, engine hoist and other small details.

IMG_0108.jpg

fed7179d-a8c6-4ea6-8fbe-10e0b6e6f2d1.jpg

I'm thinking about a sliding creeper that will allow access to the undercarriage of the cars.

My JLA lot came in today so I'll have some sets to look forward to keep me busy until my BL orders come through, plus I should have everything I need to finish the Maintenance Bay.