Sign in to follow this  
Hrw-Amen

MOC: Red and Black 4-4-0 Steam Engine

I notice that the Brickshelf gallery has just gone live and I have also uploaded these to my flickr gallery as well.

So this is the train that I have been asking for help with the wiring for the last few weeks. I have to say that inspite of nearly giving up on incorporating the PF element I am glad it is now working.

I do actually quite like the engine now it is finsihed and last night I ran it around a small loop set up for the purpose just to see that it worked. It seems to negotiate switches and curves OK without any derailments. The only thing I would say is that the main drive wheels need some rubber grip bands as they were spinning quite a lot. Obviously it does not have the same pulling power as the newer motors but I never expected it to. It should pull a couple of wagons OK.

The date on the motor (Inside the housing.) is 1976 so I would have been 8 years old when i got that. Not doing too badly for something that old really. I think it is a type III 4.5V motor as it has the technic axle holder whereas my others do not.

The engine is based on those from the turn of the century around 1900 era and although not a exact model of I was using drawings and photographs of two engines for inspiration, those being the London Brighton & South Coast Railway, Billinton 'B4' class 4-4-0 Express locomotive and the 'R' class 4-4-0 express locomotive from the North Eastern Railway. It also has a passing resemblance to 'James' the red engine i fancy, but that aside here are the links and a photo.15_07_2012_red_and_black_4_4_0_tender_engine_h.jpg15_07_2012_red_and_black_4_4_0_tender_engine_d.jpg

Link to flickr:-My link

Link to Brickshelf:- http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=507918

This is a really beautiful train and I love the fact that the minifigures are in it! Great job!

Edited by Dapper-D2

This is a really beautiful train and I love the fact that the minifigures are in it! Great job!

Thanks. One advantage of having the battery box and IR unit in the tender is that it frees up space in the cabin for both the engineer driver and a fireman to keep the steam coming.