Bricksonwheels

EMD SD40-2 BNSF Locomotive 1:16

After months of building it is finally finished, my first big train scale build!

The EMD SD40-2 was build from the early seventies until late eighties and has been one of the most succesful locomotive designs for freight purposes. This BNSF (Burlington North Sante Fe) example is still in active service, like many others of the almost 4000 build. It has about 3000 hp, and can be remotely controlled.

The model is scaled 1:16, 1.31 meters long, 24 studs wide, and counts approx. 20.000 bricks. It is highly detailled inside and outside.

This is also a step into something special. Together with Dennis Bosman I started work on a new Nostarch Press title for 2015 with the working title: 'The Art of Lego Scale Modeling'.

More news on this will follow in time, but it will be a luxury book, featuring top notch Lego creations, where many are shot (and even build) exclusivly for the book. This locomotive can also be seen in all detail in this new release as well.

If you can't wait then there is a good chance you can see it at the Legoworld 2014 show in The Netherlands. :classic:

14943488642_a7f07d030b_b.jpg

Edited by Bricksonwheels

Great job! Works very well in that scale. Did you also power it and build some kind of tracks for it?

At first I thought you posted this in a wrong forum, but I can see why you posted it here. Thats freaking massive! I dare you to put some 16 XL motor sinised and make some tracks for it!

Thnx guys. No it is completely detailled inside and not much room for so many engines :classic: That said I will never use it to drive around, but some tracks will come to it for display purposes.

Edited by Bricksonwheels

Wow! I'm working in "tiny" 1:45 ;). It looks awesome and massive!

(can't wait to see the tracks, carriages, station, tunnels... kidding ofcourse!)

Ohhhh man!!! This things it's so wonderful!! I can't stop at looking at it!!!! And those orange bricks......they make it sooooo cute!! Now you can rule the world!

And those round things on the roof.....OMG!!!!! People like you should be consecrate and get a halo!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What's the weight??

Flippin' heck! This thing's awesome. The level of detail you've achieved is amazing. Easily the best loco I've ever seen :thumbup:

Edited by grum64

Mind blowing .... respect to the author....

off topic: IMHO this loko should be in the Model Team theme, not in Train theme .... it would crush and eat all the Lego scale trains .... :laugh::iamded_lol: ..... 1,3 meter long ... massacre ...

Mind blowing .... respect to the author....

off topic: IMHO this loko should be in the Model Team theme, not in Train theme .... it would crush and eat all the Lego scale trains .... :laugh::iamded_lol: ..... 1,3 meter long ... massacre ...

Maybe you are not very familiair with hobby trains, but in the normal hobby train scene we also have a lot of different scales that include large but also micro scales. Last year at the Köln Brickfest there also were model railroaders including a whole section where drivers would sit on their trains and drive around (looked a bit silly to me, but of course, others might consider us playing with LEGO (Technic and Trains alike) silly).

I absolutely love the size and level of details of the loco. Look forward to the book you are producing :wink:

Awesome. You should have a pic of you next to it just to show how really big it is. I think a child can ride on it. Maybe some flat cars for carrying all your wonderful trucks too. :classic:

Edited by dr_spock

Now that's an engine......a huge scale one !

I :wub: all the detailing on it......totally Brick On 'Bricksonwheels' ! :grin:

Ohhhh man!!! This things it's so wonderful!! I can't stop at looking at it!!!! And those orange bricks......they make it sooooo cute!! Now you can rule the world!

And those round things on the roof.....OMG!!!!! People like you should be consecrate and get a halo!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What's the weight??

Cute?!?! More like highly accurate, outstanding and impressive. Possibly perfect.....

Wow that's just....... :drool: sorry drooling, just amazing!! So detailed and amazingly perfect!

Keep Building amazing models! :wub: :wub: :wub:

-RailCo

In my opinion, this is better than ANYTHING released by TLG in at least the past year.

Outstanding. Simply outstanding.

Of course,the retail price on something like this might just limit the market. :-)

Edited by Off the wall