Hammerhand

Free Build: Defend the Walls

Here's a build I've been working on the last couple days. I've decided I'm going to make a circuit of Historica, and try building in each of the guilds. To start off, I've done a build in Kaliphlin, depicting an unknown battle from it's history.

K2_zps2485d663.jpg

ac0a55b5-cb13-4fa5-b5c7-3758086e80f2_zpse417f756.jpg

2a868891-52b7-41e5-86c7-49ad20c95cc0_zpsa55ff1ac.jpg

Without figs:

0c055991-46ba-4ff5-8ca3-c6f7ed66d248_zpsa28bb628.jpg

Up close of the double tusked War Elephant:

fb8e95bc-32ad-45f7-80e8-6806bec6e8e0_zps573abf2b.jpg

18b54be9-8a19-480f-aa2e-a48b45e61dbd_zpsc50b978d.jpg

Sorry about the not so good photography, I had to photograph indoors, so my lighting wasn't ideal. I tried taking the pictures right under a window, but it didn't really seem to help much. And then when I viewed the pictures on my laptop, they looked slightly out of focus. I hope you can enjoy the MOC anyways! :grin:

Edited to add some better/adjusted pictures.

Edited by Hammerhand

Looks great!!! The architecture of the wall looks very nice and the gatehouse/ entryway+ door look great as well. The elephant is also really cool, although the drape on its sides looks pretty static, especially when the elephant is rearing. Maybe make it slightly shorter so it looks less akward( like only going down as far as its stomach, not its legs too), but I do like the way it is frayed at the bottem.

Also do the doors open and does the build have a back? And also I think it would be nice to have a shot of the top of the walls where the guards are standing

Edited by LordDan

Very cool. This is also a good idea, doing a building tour of the Guilds. I've always wanted to do a Kaliphlin build myself.

Really nice job on the walls (nice texture), but my favorite is the elephant. Because of this, I now have to head to BrickLink to pick myself up one - Thanks! Really though, nice job!

This is an amazing build. I too was planning a circuit of the guilds! With the red troops fighting the dark blue, it almost looks like a civil war of some kind!

Excellent work with this, I love the elephant armor, and you've fully captured Kaliphlinite architecture in your structure :thumbup:

Great Kaliphlin style! You've really done a good job with the details and I really like the armor on the elephant. Keep it up!

This looks awesome, Hammerhand, good job! :thumbup:

Thanks Behemoth!

Great Build Hammerhand! I like the Elephant and the Trail.

Thanks! The trail was an experiment with the 2x2 upside down tile pieces.

Brilliant! Love the landscaping, and the posing!

Thanks Vlad! I had fun with the posing, although you can't really see all of the people behind the elephant.

Looks great!!! The architecture of the wall looks very nice and the gatehouse/ entryway+ door look great as well. The elephant is also really cool, although the drape on its sides looks pretty static, especially when the elephant is rearing. Maybe make it slightly shorter so it looks less akward( like only going down as far as its stomach, not its legs too), but I do like the way it is frayed at the bottem.

Also do the doors open and does the build have a back? And also I think it would be nice to have a shot of the top of the walls where the guards are standing

Thank you for the comments and suggestions LordDan! The elephant's armor was difficult, and I agree it would be nice to have it look like it's moving, but it's to hard to make the armor look symmetrical/nice at the same time. About the doors, they do open, but the back of the wall is just solid tan, as it's not meant to be viewed.

Very cool. This is also a good idea, doing a building tour of the Guilds. I've always wanted to do a Kaliphlin build myself.

Thanks mccoyed! Yeah, the reason I decided to do the tour of the guilds originally was because I thought it would be a good way to improve my building, and become more diverse stylistically. Plus it's fun!

Really nice job on the walls (nice texture), but my favorite is the elephant. Because of this, I now have to head to BrickLink to pick myself up one - Thanks! Really though, nice job!

Ha, thanks man! I know the elephants on BrickLink are pretty expensive, so I hope you can find one for a decent price! I got mine from the original sets, back in the day.

This is an amazing build. I too was planning a circuit of the guilds! With the red troops fighting the dark blue, it almost looks like a civil war of some kind!

Thanks Carson! Originally I was thinking about making this "The War of the Flag", as a myth about how the Kaliphlin flag got its colors (half wanted blue and white, half wanted red and white...), but then I decided not to.

Excellent work with this, I love the elephant armor, and you've fully captured Kaliphlinite architecture in your structure :thumbup:

Thank you Scaevola!

Great Kaliphlin style! You've really done a good job with the details and I really like the armor on the elephant. Keep it up!

Thanks! Glad you like my kaliphlin style! :laugh:

Edited by Hammerhand

Woah, this is cool! I've never seen four tusks on the LEGO elephant before.

Nice work on the backdrop too, enough detail to avoid just being a flat wall, but not enough to distract from the action in front.

I really like the walls and the war Elephant. I think it's a great idea to "build around Historica" :-)

Well done! I :wub: the path and ground texturing, and the wall and gate are also excellent :thumbup: The dark blue/white colorscheme looks impressive and you did a good job making armor for the elephant :classic:

I really like the texturing on the walls dude... Awesome moc, nice execution!

Woah, this is cool! I've never seen four tusks on the LEGO elephant before.

Nice work on the backdrop too, enough detail to avoid just being a flat wall, but not enough to distract from the action in front.

Thank you! It was interesting to try to find a way to attach the 2nd pair of tusks, and get the right angle on them.

I really like the walls and the war Elephant. I think it's a great idea to "build around Historica" :-)

Thanks man!

Awesome build. The double tusked war elephant is a great idea. The dark blue barding fits very well! Good job!

Glad you like the colors!

You've created a nice sense of panic here..!

Thanks dude!

Well done! I :wub: the path and ground texturing, and the wall and gate are also excellent :thumbup: The dark blue/white colorscheme looks impressive and you did a good job making armor for the elephant :classic:

Thanks SK! Dark blue and white are actually my sig-fig's personal heraldry, so I thought it would be cool to try working the colors into some builds, and maybe expand his background story, though in this particular build I couldn't figure out how to fit it in.

I really like the texturing on the walls dude... Awesome moc, nice execution!

Thank you Gunman! My walls were actually heavily inspired by Gideon's awesome Petraea builds.

It's not too late to join Kaliphlin....we'd love to have you

Nah, I'm an Avalonian through and through! I'm just a fan of the Kaliphlin architecture style, and enjoy building there. :sweet:

Edited by Hammerhand

Looks absolut great!

The wall and the elephant are my favorites - really well done!

markus

Very nice Kaliphlin build! I especially like the clever path design and the elephant barding. Nice detail also with the "closed" inverted arch above the gate (if I'm seeing it correctly?).

My walls were actually heavily inspired by Gideon's awesome Petraea builds.

Thanks for the credit! I'm honored and happy that my vision of Kaliphlin architecture is getting more established :classic:

Very nice build, absolutely love the war elephant!

Thank you TRV! It seems the war elephant is pretty popular!

Excellent build! Love the elephant,and his posing.

The wall textures are also very good! :classic:

Thanks man!

Looks absolut great!

The wall and the elephant are my favorites - really well done!

markus

Thank you Markus!

Very nice Kaliphlin build! I especially like the clever path design and the elephant barding. Nice detail also with the "closed" inverted arch above the gate (if I'm seeing it correctly?).

Thanks for the credit! I'm honored and happy that my vision of Kaliphlin architecture is getting more established :classic:

Thank you Gideon! Good eyes for spotting the inverted arch! I had to use it because I ran out of regular arches, so it was interesting to try to get them to fit there and stay in place.

And I'm a big fan of your builds/style, so I gladly give credit where credit is due!

Nice! I love the elephant armor!

Thank you Jakorin!

Edited by Hammerhand